TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752 ... LastLast

Thread: Real life... association with Thief

Thief's Clock:

Real Clock, Praga:

I visited the Grassi Museum in Leipzig on Tuesday for an Indonesian evening and took some photos of it since it is built in Art Déco style. I also saw the famous column hall in it which is supposed to be one of the few German Art Déco halls existing (now restored after being destroyed in WW2) but I wasn't allowed to take photos there. Plus, it didn't look as impressive.

Awesome pics in this thread! Not much thief inspiration around my neighborhood. I'm surrounded by brick boxes and vinyl siding.

jtr7
    Last edited by jtr7; 8th Jul 2010 at 06:28.

holy moly that's big!

You can't stick that in your pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    Since my wife started working nights, I find myself needing to creep quietly across our bedroom during the day to get something I've left in there. I wear canvas Converse shoes - very light weight, very thin rubber soles. The floor is hardwood, and do you know, there's absolutely no way I can put my foot down on that floor without it making a "TAP" sound? Doesn't matter if I walk on my toes or heels, or how softly I step - the actual contact with the floor is ominously loud in the quiet bedroom. I've always thought Garrett's step sounds were ridiculously exaggerated, but now that I've been able to replicate shoes on hard floor in RL, I think if anything, the designers toned them down.
    Y'know, I've got to agree with you on this.

jtr7
    Yep. I learned it back when I was 13-years-old and half the weight I am now, while sneaking out of the house at night during the summer, and for four more summers after that. Even just the cracking of my joints and the groaning and scraping of fabrics was unnerving. Opening and closing my bedroom door and then the front door or back sliding door, or worse, the bedroom window and removing the screen, and than getting myself through the aluminum frame without scraping over the metal as I was getting taller year after year, was a long drawn-out affair. When I saw this, I could relate (starting at 7:20):
    http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/pla...-full-episode/

There was a clip on of it on YouTube, but it was removed, so sorry if people can't see it.

EDIT: Also this, a steampunk wedding cake decorated with fondant:

Here are some:

The marketplace in lego form!

A lego church, note the gears

I found this one amazing, it's the same castle from KING'S STORY! Well, I guess this one is really the other way around; Thief (or rather Zontik xD ) associating with real life haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Hee hee, I saved The Sword just at that point so I could see those coins at any time. (always wondered how Garrett managed to fit 2 of those into his loot bag but that's gaming licence for you. Almost as puzzling as the floating gold bone in Bonehoard)

Not only that but the background reminds me a bit of some parts of Running Interference.

jtr7
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10673322

17 July 2010
    'World's oldest champagne' found on Baltic seabed

The diver who retrieved the champagne said it was an honour to drink it.

Divers have found 30 bottles of champagne thought to pre-date the French Revolution on the Baltic seabed.

When they opened one, they found the wine - believed to have been made by Clicquot (now Veuve Clicquot) between 1782 and 1788 - was still in good condition.

The bottle - whose shape indicates it was produced in the 18th Century - has now been sent to France for analysis.

If confirmed, it would be the oldest drinkable champagne in the world.

Diver Christian Ekstrom was exploring a shipwreck on the Baltic seabed when he found the bottles.
    'Sweet taste'

He took one to the surface, where he opened it and tasted it with his colleagues.

"It was fantastic," he told the Reuters news agency.

"It had a very sweet taste, you could taste oak and it had a very strong tobacco smell. And there were very small bubbles."

According to records, Clicquot champagne was first produced in 1772 but was laid down for 10 years, the French news agency AFP reported.
    Champagne bottle found on Baltic seabed - 16 July 2010 Experts think the remaining bottles could fetch high prices at auction.

Production was disrupted after the French Revolution in 1789.

The wine found on the seabed was perfectly preserved because of the conditions of dark and cold on the seabed.

If the bottles do come from the 1780s, that would make them around 40 years older than the current record-holder, a bottle of Perrier-Jouet from 1825.

Wine experts estimate each bottle would fetch around 500,000 Swedish kronor (Ł45,000; $69,000) at auction.

The bottles were found off the coast of Aaland, an autonomous part of Finland. The local authorities will decide what is done with the shipwreck - and the champagne.
    Last edited by jtr7; 17th Jul 2010 at 20:52.

Ah, my favourite year. What about a Gravecourt Red next?

jtr7
    Nailed it!

Here's an old film with the sound recorded on a wax cylinder:
    http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/201...ic-video-1895/

You'll notice that one of the two men on the right seems to find his situation rather amusing whilst the other one looks a bit embarrassed.

Clearinghouse

Clearinghouse

Magnificent

Oliver Goldsmith: She Stoops to Conquer, Act II:
    Hardcastle: Is there anythinbg else you wish to retrench or alter, gentlemen?
    Marlow: A pork pie, a boiled rabbit and sausages, a Florentine, a shaking pudding and a dish of TIFF-TAFF-TAFFETY cream!

Speaking of it, in the first Dragon, the magazine of the Swiss 15th century re-enactment group "Company of Saynt George", on page 14 you find a few quotes from a Tudor comedy including lots of curses and stuff in old English.

Clearinghouse
    Found in the net

I love the one with Garrett and the flower frame.

Clearinghouse

Coin stacks. I took the pic with the worst camera invented. Each stack is 1€, that is 20 x 5 cent coins. The last stack is 70 c. So in total there is 10€ 70c of just 5c coins.

The bag I had them in was about the size of those coin purses in Thief and it still weighs 830g.

Very interesting!

@clearing: Nice pics! I love those posters. I wonder where those were?

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I wonder where those were?
    Japanese or chinese forums.

Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752 ... LastLast