TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3813182328293031323334353637384348 ... LastLast

Thread: Real life... association with Thief

Clearinghouse

Clearinghouse

Clearinghouse

Garrett The Master Thief: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE1G3Jpcjig

you think Garret could get the remains back for them?

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/21...ronimo-Lawsuit

There's a film on tonight called Taffin, but it doesn't sound very good.

jtr7
    Ah yes, the one with Pierce Brosnan as a thief. Never saw it.

Here's some photos from my own city (although I didn't capture them myself). I use a lot of the old alleys as inspiration for Dromed.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb5001 View Post
    Here's some photos from my own city (although I didn't capture them myself). I use a lot of the old alleys as inspiration for Dromed.
    Good idea! Those 1st 2 shots make it look like you actually live in Southquarter or The Docks

Glowing mushrooms

The Cathedral

Coming from a modern city landscape, something as twisted as the old town centre of Damascus makes the image of a dark shadowy town much more tangible and vivid. The window bays here are just awesome. So much wood and crooked architecture and still it does not collapse.

Dale Mathis Art...

I just saw some incredible works of art being showcased at an art gallery on the Vegas strip... does this work happen to remind you of anything, anything at all?

More examples can be seen here:
    http://www.myspace.com/arrogantartist
    http://www.theartofdalemathis.com/main.html

The first one gave me the willies. I already find the Metal Age prophecy frightening enough, but that image...

Hammer Haunts in cinema

From "La noche del terror ciego" a 1971 Spanish horror movie starring Haunts

EDIT: Sword Haunts actually
    English dubbed trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyTUXUYQ0Q
    Last edited by Azaran; 20th Sep 2010 at 04:14.

Nice one Azaran Wouldn't want to meet any of these guys up close!

The Serpentyle Torc

Seeing as how this thread is also bringing mention to movies, might I recommend seeing The City of Lost Children? It's a rather bizarre film, but after a second viewing, I not only started appreciating it, but also got a sort of Thief-vibe. But I dunno, that's just what I perceived.

Here's the trailer.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Seeing as how this thread is also bringing mention to movies, might I recommend seeing The City of Lost Children? It's a rather bizarre film, but after a second viewing, I not only started appreciating it, but also got a sort of Thief-vibe. But I dunno, that's just what I perceived.

Here's the trailer.
    Also old game City of Lost Children, reminds me Thief.

jtr7
    As Emil Pagliarulo said back in the day, when he wrote for Adrenaline Vault, before he ended up at LGS, building "Little Big World",then Life of the Party, and Precious Cargo:

Visually, The Dark Project is sort of a cross between the films The City of Lost Children and Brazil, with definite medieval overtones. Garrett's profession will take him to a variety of environments within his city of residence, including: seedy docks, the darkened city streets themselves, ominous castles, catacombs buried deep underground, and even an ancient lost city.
    And later:
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilPags View Post
    Well, the credits in the manual can be misleading. Game development is incredibly collaborative, and it's often impossible to pinpoint who did exactly what.

For example, Thief 2. If I remember correctly, the ORIGINAL concept was that there was some kind of "rust disease." Note that last cutscene of Thief: TDP, when Garrett and Artemis are talking. They pass by someone shivering in the street. I believe that cutscene was originally written by Terri B, and that's what she envisioned, the "rust disease." When Thief 2 actually started devlopment, that idea morphed considerably (but the initial groundwork had already been laid).

The Hammers and Mechanists were basically the Catholics and Protestants...that was the high-level paradigm we used.

The story itself was actually put together by several different people -- Terri Borsius, Randy Smith, Dan Thron and myself. We sort of figured out how the main arcs of the story should fit together.

Who wrote Garrett's dialogue and the Guards' dialogue? Well, in Thief 2, the individual designers had a large hand in writing those lines. People like Sara Verelli, Rob Caminos, Mike Chryznowski, Randy Smith, Terri B. and me all contributed. Terri was on point for cleaning a lot of it up.

Oh, and let's not forget Laura Baldwin...she was responsible for all the "Woodsy" dialogue and was generally the person to go to if you wanted to "Thief up" your dialogue.

The influences are too numerous to list. On Thief 2, and even going into Thief 3, City of Lost Children was a HUGE reference for the City. I was personally inspired by everything fromt he literature of Charles Dickens and Jules Verne to the level design in the original Rainbow Six. For the first half of Thief 3's development we had regular movie nights where we'd get together and watch films with particular relevance. We watched everything from The Third Man to the original black and white Beauty and the Beast to the pilot from the Robin Hood series that originally aired on Showtime.

On Thief 3, Terri was the writer and had more a hand in crafting the story than anyone else. But the game was also largely Randy Smith's vision. A good deal of Thief 3's groundwork was put down by the "core team" in the very early days of the project...that was Randy, Lulu Lamer, Terri B. and myself.

Of course, a lot changed from those early days. I think when Jordan came on there was spec for an orphanage, or someplace creepy. He took that and came back with the Shalebridge Cradle. That conversation between the fence and the Garrett impersonator? Jeremy Graves' idea. Fiction about the old woman in the Seaside Mansion? Nate Blaisdell. The Kurshok? Those guys were my babies early on. Oh, and all the creepy stuff associated with Gamall? That was all Terri.

So you see, there are a lot of hands in the pot. There were in the past and there likely will be in the future. That's just the nature of game design.

----
    Emil
    Last edited by jtr7; 22nd Sep 2010 at 03:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Here's the trailer.
    Hmm...yeah that looks interesting, I'll be watching that soon

The Horn of Quintus

The Golden Bones

Lucky Hand of Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    From "La noche del terror ciego" a 1971 Spanish horror movie starring Haunts

EDIT: Sword Haunts actually
    English dubbed trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyTUXUYQ0Q
    Brilliant.

Reminds me of the Capuchin catacombs of Palermo (Italy):

Thousands of people were embalmed there. There's some really frightening photos on Flickr.

Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3813182328293031323334353637384348 ... LastLast