TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 61116212631323334353637383940414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Real life... association with Thief

Giant blackjacks

They're used by wrestlers in India, Iran, and other nearby countries like barbels, to train the upper body. The ones above weigh 60 pounds each

Love those images Azaran and Dominus.

I found another Thiefy medieval town. Rothenburg in Germany.

jtr7
    Get one of these built in-game for a Neo-Mechanist toy shop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzr0C...eature=related

I saw this on deviantART and it made me think of Thief.

The floor in that alleyway looks likes it's using textures straight from the game!

Clearinghouse

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    I'd love to get a rope arrow up there

In regards to Azaran's post with the photos of the town:

Wouldn't it be cool if the level designers incorperated more hills and elevation changes in the games? Twisted streets on hillsides are really interesting, and I could see that totally working in Thief. And, I haven't really seen it used much in games.

jtr7
    TDP had a lot of it. TMA had less but not as little as one remembers (especially since most taffing is done in or on buildings where environments are mostly level). TDS had Docks and a lot of transitional paths were sloped.

Might as well post Wikipedia's article on lockpicking here
    Apparently picking locks is something you learn as a locksmith, so it's not just for thieves....

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Might as well post Wikipedia's article on lockpicking here
    Apparently picking locks is something you learn as a locksmith, so it's not just for thieves....
    Heh. I read various articles and watched videos on Youtube in regards to picking locks. Became particularly interested when first playing TDS.

Clearinghouse

Clearinghouse

That last one reminds me of Garret's building in T3

Saturnine
    Some amazing pictures of old London:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/11/...n-old-aldgate/
    http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/12/...of-old-london/

I love the way in old pictures, random people used to stop and pose

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post

excellent sets Saturnine! I love those vintage photos, especially the thief lookalikes

this one is pure gold:

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post

These photos are absolutely wonderful

Advanced warning: all pics were taken on my camera phone, which sucks.
    Felt like sharing some pictures from work, which I'm sure you'll all like. I work in Arundel Castle:

Built immediately after the Norman Conquest, it has added to and renovated to varying degreees over the last nine centuries, and is still owned by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk. A lot of the castle is open to the public in the spring/summer/autumn, but is currently closed for the winter. The Duke and Duchess live in a wing of the castle which is closed to the public year round.

Castles are dark, man. Even on bright sunny days there are these absolutely black pools of shadow all over the place. It's really great.
    Turn on the electric lights, and:

this pic was taken in the afternoon. The first one was taken at about 9:40am on a very bright morning. By the by; I've fallen down this staircase on dark evenings. It really hurts.

Anyway, this stairway leads up to one of my favourite rooms in the castle - the Baron's Hall:

Never been able to get a good picture of this room (using the phone camera doesn't help). What I hope you can see is that the roof is all wood, and there are very ornate rafters and beams up there. I like to imagine an FM in which Garrett tries to cross this hall through the rafters, while a party or banquet is going on beneath him.
    This room is very softly lit in the evening, and the shadows are incredible. I'll try to get a better picture at some point.

Next, one of my favourite "features". This is the view from the door of my abode -the Archives office (please note the authentic medieval fire extinguisher):

The main thing I want to point out is that there's a hole in the floor. Why? Well we think it was designed to permit light into the lower floors, as there's a skylight in the ceiling of this hallway, and it was built in a time before electric lighting was available.
    Here's the same hole in the floor from the next floor down:

This is just so Thiefy it hurts. What a great way to bypass an annoying guard on the stairway - climb a bookcase, and then rope-arrow up through a convenient hole in the floor. God damn.

Sadly you wouldn't find much to interest you in the archives office. Unless lots of old books interest you:

I guess if yoiu took out the computrons this would serve as a perfectly thiefy office or accounting room.

Exterior shots of the castle at about 5:30pm. I was trying out the night fitler on the camera. Not very good.

And finally. daylight exterior shots:

I love my job.

Clearinghouse
    Love this. Wonderful stuff

Wow! Neat; thanks for sharing, Moi Dix Mois

A few more pics.

The aformentioned skylight over the hole in the floor. Might make a good entry point. That conveniently placed beam would allow Garrett to perch above any wandering guards.

Hallway behind the Baron's hall.

A shot of the Baron's Hall. I didn't take this one, but you can very clearly see those rafters.

Think he reads them or are they just for show?
    I didn't take this picture either. My work in the archives doesn't actually take me down to the library all that often. There's currently a team cleaning and dusting all the books. It takes a month for them to go through everything.

jtr7
    Liu Bolin, social outcast, artist, invisible man:
    http://www.ekfineart.com/html/artist...true&offset=24

I just browsed Matthew Paris' illustrations looking for the way maille leggings were attached and I found this high-medieval image of a Hammerite on horse:

jtr7
    Even though it's a different form, might it signify the red hammer badge of a marshal?

Judging by the tall building in the background they actually had rooftop missions in mind when they built this.

Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 61116212631323334353637383940414651 ... LastLast