TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4914192429343944454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1316

Thread: Real life... association with Thief

Walked past this old church today https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nnikNHkerk.jpg

Definitely Mechanist...

Chesma Church in Saint Petersburg, Russia

Margravial Opera House Bayreuth Germany

Karras office in Angelwatch?

Actually room from Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam

How to make a Hand of Glory

The Hand of Glory is indifferently the right or left hand of a criminal who has been gibbeted. The sorcerer obtains it as he can, and in the days of Tyburn Tree such requisites might have cost nothing beyond the personal risk of the adventure; it is indispensable, however, that it should be wrapped in a piece of winding-sheet, and this suggests that the criminal must have been previously cut down with a view to interment. Thus enclosed, the hand must be well squeezed to as to force out any blood which may possibly remain in the member, after which it must be placed in an earthen vessel, together with some zimort, saltpetre, common salt and pepper-corns--all pounded. It should remain in this vessel for fifteen days and when extracted should be exposed to the heat of the sun during the time of the dog-star until it is extremely desiccated. If solar warmth be insufficient, it may be placed in a furnace, heated with bracken and vervain. The object is to extract all the grease from the member, and therefrom, in combination with virgin wax and sesame from Lapland, to compose a species of candle. Wheresoever this frightful object is lighted, the spectators will be deprived of all motion and the sorcerer can do what he will. It is possible to destroy its influence by anointing the threshold of the door, or other places through which entrance may be gained to a house, with an unguent composed of the gall of a black cat, grease from a white fowl and the blood of a screech-owl. This should also be confected in the dog-days.

http://vonfaustus.blogspot.ca/2012/0...mans-hand.html

Medieval blackjack\club

Apologies for the crappy phone camera. I visited a museum in Whitby, UK in 2014 and just found these pictures. Wish I'd have taken more. Ho hum.

They had their own hand of glory.

Fancy police truncheons.

I had no idea that the lock mechanisms on some of these chests are so complex.

Tempest Prognosticator. The leeches are supposed to climb during a storm, which sets off a hammer, ringing a bell.

Last edited by Neb; 15th Jun 2016 at 14:03.

The Builder? (Sucellus, Gallo-Roman God of wine, bearing a hammer)

Real life association...from Yesteryear!
    Some nice Thiefy atmosphere in these old photos.

Eltz castle, Germany

The Bonehoard

Some photos I took in the Bone Chapel in Évora, Portugal

AKA H3H3
    Creepy...

I'd definitely like to go there, someday

Bran Castle, Romania. Complete gallery

St Pancras hotel, England

Just noticed that one of my favorite musicians also made a pseudo-Thief soundtrack: https://youtu.be/XnziHpcUJe4?t=15m43s. In fact this piece is called "Edge of Darkness". The resemblance is uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Just noticed that one of my favorite musicians also made a pseudo-Thief soundtrack: https://youtu.be/XnziHpcUJe4?t=15m43s. In fact this piece is called "Edge of Darkness". The resemblance is uncanny.
    Sounds like a Thief Gold Soundtrack. "Thieves Guild" maybe?

This is more the Ramirez/Assassins! map soundtrack. Cf.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDKE_HULnu4

Pieter Claesz, Vanitas (Still life with skull), 1628. This is one of the paintings found in Thief

Guy I know, an Orthodox Christian, posted this on FB earlier, a quote from an Egyptian saint\monk, very reminiscent of Hammerite religion:

For the garment that is moth-eaten has no longer any commercial value or good use to which it can be put; and in the same way the wood that is worm-eaten is no longer worth anything for ornamenting even an ordinary building, but is destined to be burnt in the fire. So therefore the soul also which is a prey to the attacks of gnawing dejection will be useless for that priestly garment which, according to the prophecy of the holy David, the ointment of the Holy Spirit coming down from heaven, first on Aaron's beard, then on his skirts, is wont to assume: as it is said, "It is like the ointment upon the head which ran down upon Aaron's beard, which ran down to the skirts of his clothing." Nor can it have anything to do with the building or ornamentation of that spiritual temple of which Paul as a wise master builder laid the foundations, saying, "You are the temple of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you:" and what the beams of this are like the bride tells us in the Song of Songs: "Our rafters are of cypress: the beams of our houses are of cedar." And therefore those sorts of wood are chosen for the temple of God which are fragrant and not liable to rot, and which are not subject to decay from age nor to be worm-eaten.

Full text here

You know all those secret doors in Thief? There's a company that will install them in your home

“The activation method can be anything the client wishes; iPad control, hidden button, remote control, twisting a candlestick, hidden fingerprint scanner, pulling a book – you name it!” the mechanical engineer adds.

A real life parallel to the Mechanists destroying Pagans and their natural sacred sites

Three of the sites visited in West Khasi Hills, Meghalaya, were former sacred groves-Nongsynrih, Nonglyngkien, and Sakwang. As a resident of Nonglynkien explained, once the sacredness was gone, they cut all the trees and sold them. A different resident of Nonglyngkien said, "because of Christianity, they don't do the ceremonies anymore." One resident of Sakwang said the forest is no longer sacred, "We worship God in church, so we don't have to worship in the forest anymore." A resident of the town of Mawkyrwat recounted that, "after conversion [to Christianity], the old belief was not effective anymore. Therefore, in the 1960s, they destroyed all of the forest… An auction was declared. All the villagers went into the forest and chose the trees they wanted to buy." Similar practices continue today as the management designation of sacred groves is changed to less strict forest types, such as community forests that can be occasionally harvested (see Ormsby 2011). This may not be solely because of religious reasons, but rather due to economic pressures to use the timber in the sacred groves.

Master Builder 2018
    I keep meaning to post this, although I may not be the first. Forest Lawn cemetery in Glendale, CA has this lovely little chapel (the pics are not mine though). Look at the plaque in the courtyard there.

[IMG]

Here's a pic of the chapel that served as an inspiration for the Hammer's chapel in my mission. There's also a shady garden aside the chapel that feels very quiet and Thiefy to me.

[IMG]

Wee Kirk o' the Heather (replica) in Glendale, CA
    Last edited by pukey brunster; 22nd Feb 2017 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    Here's a pic of the chapel that served as an inspiration for the Hammer's chapel in my mission. There's also a shady garden aside the chapel that feels very quiet and Thiefy to me.
    I'll have to stop by that place if I take a CA trip, hope I don't bop anyone across the head there getting too into it.

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    I'll have to stop by that place if I take a CA trip, hope I don't bop anyone across the head there getting too into it.
    You should - it's actually a HUGE, beautiful, sprawling cemetery with a lot of worthwhile stuff to look at. I have some family buried there that we try to visit when we're in the area. But just don't go poking around looking for where the stars are buried.. they tend to frown upon that ;-)

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4914192429343944454647484950515253 LastLast