TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM... A Servant's Life by John Denison (05/09/06)

Dafydd

I didn't really intend on the player crawling into the dumb waiter. I tried to keep all of the crates in the basement so this wouldn't happen.

The basement is rather large, so keep going.

As far as the masks
    spoiler:
    breaking the glass, there is no other way to get them.
    Sorry.

SethAC

What you saw is supposed to happen. After the conversation ends you will be able to exit the bar niche.

That was a pretty nasty yet funny mission. I loved the lawyer talk in one of the readables. My favorite part was when
    spoiler:
    I was chasing the wimpy servant up the ramp toward the broken elevator. I didn't even notice the thing moving so fast and I stood underneath it. Ouch!

Thanks

I know there are maybe too many readables, but I really wanted to show how this servant was treated at this manor for the past two years. He's got five more to go.

I forgot to mention that some scenes won't take place if you go to other's first. If the player wants to see all of them, it's recommended to go to the gallery first, and then the bar niche. If you go to the bar niche first, the servant won't be in the gallery anymore. If you go to his junk room without going to the cesspool, the player will miss the cesspool scene too.

When setting the servant free, I recommend following him to the end.

--In the junk room spoilers--

spoiler:
    Has anyone tried swapping the feces in his hand for the steak?
    If you shoot the servant in the jail with a water arrow, he becomes clean.
    It may be hard to see in the dark but there is blood dripping from the servant's right hand.
    If you haven't cured him of his problem, he will drop a feces every time he is hit or shot.

Hm, ok, I missed the first scene. But anyhow

spoiler:
    I met Mr. Oh Dear in the dining room, then in the basement (stealing a steak), in the kitchen (being toasted) and then when he tried to alert the guards (and got clobbered). Now he is on a elevator on speed. But I just canīt find the cesspool or the junkroom. And I have no key for the door near the guards with the rope in the water...

Did I miss something?

This was a really good FM. I just had to keep looking up. HA! The hardest part for me was
    spoiler:
    3 guards in the room in the basement.
    I cured Mr Oh Dear, but I had to hit him to free him. After I got to the end, I went back to see if he was still there and he was gone. I, too, got hit by the elevator and tried to get in that dumbwaiter. That was . I will play again!

Hope Vincent

just thort i better say how much i injoyed this FM played it twice though last night ,thort it was really really good in my top 5 of favorite FMs

WildWilbur

spoiler:
    After the servant jumps off of the elevator he will run down the passage and open the metal door.

I reloaded the elevator event a million, probably bajillion times, and nothing happens. I'm stuck and I can't move anywhere. No conversation.

Are you at the one in the dining room? How long did you wait. It should take about 10 seconds for the first character to run in.

i am thinking I may have a problem - it says it's a Thief 1 FM.

Edit: never mind. I downloaded it on my girlfriend's Mac, which helpfully turns zip files into normal folders. When I zipped it back up, I zipped the whole folder, so it had an extra branch in the pathname. Fixed now! Right, now for pooey goodness...
    Last edited by nicked; 6th Sep 2006 at 20:03. Reason: fixed!

There's some twisted shit going on in your head, bud....

Well this isn't my normal way of thinking. I had to come up with all of this over the past year to make this wimpy servant's life an everyday terror festival.
    Last edited by john9818a; 30th Mar 2008 at 20:05. Reason: changed mind

Was it just me, or did anyone else go around picking it all up?

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs View Post
    Picked it up and later...accidentally "used" it! Akkkkkk

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs View Post
    Did you get the two in the little man's cage in Sarah's room?

I think so, yes. Who was he anyway? Tom Thumb?

@ Griffin... Same here! The first couple i picked up, i tried throwing them away, instead i consumed them!

Which is why I didn't include any health potions except for Censored difficulty.

In the Wimpydom Shooting Range, you can shoot the servant on the elevator, then toss your scouting orb. It will send you for a wild ride.

I did wonder what the Scouting Orb was for.

I have to say this mission has really made me laugh, John!!! Where on earth did you get your inspiration from?

Like both Sluggs and Griffin, I accidentially ate the pooh. My son was watching and he was so grossed out, he made me restart the mission!

Hey John,

You really like that "don't kill anyone" objective. I looked in your quest data dialog box and there's basically nothing in there for mis34. I guess you set all your objectives to be Qvar controlled. How did you do that? I wish you could make this one with an optional "don't kill anyone" objective for Normal difficulty because this is one of the best looking mansions that I've ever seen on a thief mission. I just hate not having the freedom to kill some guards. Great job on this one though.
    Last edited by cavador_8; 7th Sep 2006 at 12:35.

suewan

I'm not sure where the inspiration came from. When making the story details, which occured little by little over a year's time, I went through every aspect of the servant's life and made it as terrible as I could. If there is any inspiration, it must be the kindness I receive from my co-workers every day.

cavador_8

Thanks for the compliment. Honestly I'm not satisfied with the exterior of the mansion. I started with an early save of the Living Nightmare hospital which didn't have a crypt at the time, and carved out the basement. The junk room at the end was the first room to be completed, then most of the conversations. I cut my work out for me, so I just had to make the mansion. Instead of using the same motif in every room/hallway, I experimented with different motifs all around. If the resources were available, I would have added more windows.

The four basic objectives are 1 - go to a location, 2 - steal an object, 3 - kill an AI, and 4 - loot. Whenever there is an objective that doesn't fall into one of the four basic objectives, the status of the objective must be forced to complete or failed.
    Last edited by john9818a; 20th Sep 2006 at 22:03. Reason: misspelled a word

Please don't take this the wrong way John , because I do enjoy playing your missions , hell you're one of my favorite authors .This mission would have been fun if it were not for the theme , as it was I just played through without any of the optional objectives to finish it . As someone who thinks that many FMs are far far too timid in their subject mater ( with uninspiring sounds to match ) to do the Thief universe justice - this was simply way out in left field , more Redneck Rampage than Thief .
    I'm going to boot into Linux , fire up Deus Ex and try to get the shit out of my mind .

bdlk

Well mayby you are right, but I got tired of releasing FM with no real story. It seems like so many FM's follow the same kind of stories, but I just wanted something that hadn't been done yet. Hopefully no one else will release one with the content in mine.

Hey man , the only way humanbeings learn is through trial and error . I very much look forward to your next mission . It didn't help that the wife just took some hotdogs off the barbie while I was playing !

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast