TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oblivion expansion spotted.

Oblivion expansion spotted.

Now you shouldn't read too much into this but (once again from Blues News) GameSpot spotted a preorder listing on GameStop for an Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion expansion called Knights of the White Stallion for $19.99.

Gamespots Oblivion Expansion article.
    Screenshot taken of the listing

If this expansion is real, then Gamestop let the cat out of the bag a little too early.

That's very exciting. I also like the price. I'm hopeful that more Oblivion work is being done.

(and it fits nicely into my pre-xmas prediction )

Once again, Bethesda's response is "We have no plans to for an expansion at this time."

Sorry Peeper, but you did not quote the man correctly at all.

He actually said: "Right now we have no announced plans for any new content, add-ons, or expansions. If that changes, we’ll let folks know."

Notice the word "ANNOUNCED" in that sentence. There is an ENORMOUS difference once that word is there.

He also says that there is no expansion "NAMED" Knights of the White Stallion, but he does not state that there is no expansion at all.

There is still just as much possibility that we could see something soon as there was before he commented on the news.

Whatever. Speculation about "the expansion" isn't going to make it appear any sooner, so why bother?

Have you thought much about how Gamestop could have posted that page? I don't think that someone ACCIDENTALLY made a web page, ACCIDENTALLY INVENTED a name to go with the game, and ACCIDENTALLY posted it to the business page and ACCIDENTALLY put a price on it for pre-orders.

Also this co-insides with the link coming down in record time once someone was questioned about it.

It also co-insides with the only mod coming out of Bethesda recently being a spell book mod that looks like it took 45 seconds of programming (not knocking it, but it just seems like maybe they are busy with something else).

There are a few other things that point to what they might be up to, but 1. there is nothing wrong with speculation (since that probably makes up more than half of the content on most forums, but that comment alone is speculation) and 2. I feel at this point that speculation is a weak word when a company with privy information about a product actually released a page on it. Anything is possible.

Just spotted this little bit of info on Blues News (again).

Kotaku: "New Bethesda Game To Be Announced November 1st?"

It could be Fallout 3 (the desert being a big hint). But that was already annouced... wasn't it? Since everybody already knows about F3, my money is on that expansion pack that gamestop listed for a November 21 release date.
    Last edited by Nedan; 6th Oct 2006 at 04:06.

Aren't Bethesda doing something with the Star Trek licence?

Yeah... but those games have all been announced already as well. They even have a website up for all their Star Trek games.

http://startrek.bethsoft.com/

This announcement seems like it is for something new that we (supposedly) don't know about yet. Since we already know about Fallout 3 & their various Star Trek games, I'm betting on an expansion for Oblivion. An expansion seems to be the obvious answer as it would be the easiest for them to make (plus it falls nicely into gamestop's release date slip).

Hope its not the PS3 exclusive they have mentioned. A digg article today mentioned 10-20 hours of exclusive content for the PS3 version. Not sure if its valid though.

I'm still convinced the PC will get expansion packs!

"At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360. We'll certainly let folks know if that changes."

This was Bethesda's response to rumors of the PS3 version of Oblivion quite a while ago. Of course, now they have announced a PS3 version. I love that they don't lie to us, but cover their secrets as well. This is why I am still hopeful of a true expansion pack for the PC as their response was very similar. It stated that there are no "announced" plans. Plus for other reasons it just makes sense.

This digg article made me really happy and will hopefully shed light on new Oblivion content. 10 - 20 hours, I would call an expansion pack.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/200...c-xbox-360.htm

Actually this link is better, I'll quote the part i am referencing:

"IGN: Will the Knights of the Nine quests eventually become available for X360 and PC players of Oblivion, or are they exclusively PS3's?

Howard: We always aim to have all our content available across all platforms, so that is our goal."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p2.html

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    As a Knight of the Nine, your goal is to become a force of good as a holy crusader. Empowered with some of the most powerful gear in the game, you'll make a pilgrimage through the 16 square miles of the land of Cyrodiil. You must visit the shrines of each of Tamriel's nine gods (the sort of shrines that don't show up on maps) and then find the relics that will help restore your priory and the Knights of the Nine to their former majesty.
    Sounds more like a glorified quest than a full blown expansion pack. You might have some new NPCs and dungeons to deal with, but it doesn't sound like it expands the explorable landmass in any way.

Drats, I missed that part. I'm hoping each land mass on the map surrounding the game land mass would be filled in by expansions (preferably more than one at a time or else that'd be a lot of expansions). I guess that's what modders are fore. I'm not giving up yet though, the game hasnt even broken the release price point at any retail shop that ive seen. I guess once the price starts to fall, then maybe something will come. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still excited though. (also sounds like Downloading it might be the way of releasing it since they are making it available via Xbox live). I really wanted a CD.

Moderator and Priest
    ...I really wanted a CD.
    Looks like you'll get what you want.

Seems like a rather pitiful expansion pack. Maybe I was spoiled by Tribunal and Morrowind adding more landmass, but this seems... a bit pathetic by Bethesda standards. But that's just me.

is Best Pony
    Seems more like a glorified plug-in to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Awesome! Thats exactly what I wanted (all of the download plugins on CD)!

I agree about the landmass issue, but if you look at all the plugins for sale plus this new quest line, its quite a bit of data. Maybe it will be cheaper? Not bad if its only US $20 IMO. I think Bloodmoon and Tribunal came out around 30 or 40 so they were priced a little more like full games than expansions. But I might be remembering that wrong.

If you ever want to be reminded of the quality and quantity of Oblivion go play a little treasure called Auryn Quest. (snicker, cough, laugh). You can beat the game in about 45 minutes if you realize the save game system is broken and you restart twice somwhere around the middle of the game. (meaning if you play it straight trough, it might only take about 20 minutes. They use around 10 textures to blow your mind as you repeat constant jumping puzzles to finally get to the techno beat end level. (no, Im not joking). this game is so bad, its almost worth checking out. It actually passes the worst game I have ever played and starts coming back around the scale again. (I gave my copy away as a gift ) (yup, I hated him THAT much) I'll state it one more way. I paid $1.90 US for it and I felt extremely ripped off.

Although the other articles say pretty much the same thing, just to prove that its real, official announcement: http://www.elderscrolls.com/news/press_101706.htm

awesome

but i dont think it should go out on the ps3 or psp i mean seriously it seems that oblivion should only be for the 360 and pc oblivion just wouldnt feel right on another console, also the version on mobile phone thats okay but its not the same so that doesnt matter
    Last edited by nick_m100; 23rd Oct 2006 at 17:13.

Yup, that makes perfect sense - an X360 game would feel, like, wrong on a PS3. Bravo.

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? THE PS3 HAS NO RUMBLE

rumble?

what?

Moderator and Priest
    BUT IT HAS SIXAXIS! DUUUUUUUDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? THE PS3 HAS NO RUMBLE
    Well, in that case, of course, it's completely different. Oblivion without rumble is crap, crap, crap...!!!!!!1!1 Obliviously the game was not made to be played on a PS3, exclamation point, exclamation point.

*goes back to playing Oblivion on his PC*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast