TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Water Contest Mission: The Temple of the Tides (22/09/06)

guys Im playing on expert and I came down the temple and found the dead archeologist and took all his stuff but now what?
    More explanatory clues and spoliers are welcome!

How did the author manage to create this? Must be a dromed genius...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Slyfoxx posted this shortcut earlier

You can also pull yourself up onto the ledge on the lowest pillar, and jump along the ledges in sequence.
    (I assume this is the 'proper' way of doing things.)

I've spoken to the author about this, and s/he said s/he would be releasing an updated version after the contest which made that jump a little easier.

Just be glad that you don't have the jump as it was in the original beta version I tested - it was even more insanely hard!

how do u solve the block puzzle?

You never had one of those sliding puzzle toys before? You have to move the blocks around to rebuild the pattern on the tiles. It's alot like a Jigsaw really.

Here's something rather similar...

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~yy8a/15puzzle.jpg
    Last edited by sluggs; 11th Oct 2006 at 17:06.

Just try to make a big circle pattern with the missing piece in the center.

Archivist
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    I've played on expert too, but there was no water elemental in that room. This little fella seems to have lost its way somehow. Try to reload an erlier saved game.
    Loading an earlier save-game didn't solved it, so I just replayed the mission. After that the room was clear as it should be .
    I also noticed that the high swinging blade in the corridor, which wasn't active the first time, suddenly worked the second time I played the mission.
    Together with the frame rate issue, these are the only minuses.

An incredible mission It reminds me of the first tomb raider game.
    The Best water contest entry I played so far. It's very good looking, the technical effects are amazing...it excels in every category, except humor.
    Whoever the author is, really great job

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Outstanding fm ! I enjoyed every puzzle I met in this one, and usually I easily get annoyed/stuck by puzzles. Everything has been worked with a very great taste in this fm : details, "summer" atmosphere, lighting effects, the last sequence ... And as Phantom said, it reminds me the first Tomb raider too.

I prefer What lies below, but this one is surely a close second in my ranking. Excellent work

In the
    spoiler:
    room with the timed flames (one of the three rooms around the pedestal)
    , am I supposed to
    spoiler:
    be able to run through it without any speed potion, or is there something else I should do before running
    ?

spoiler:
    No need for speed potions. If you stand between the two flame jets, you're safe. Just run into the center of the room, turn around (as the room flips you by 180°), wait for the flames to go out again, and run out.

And if you mean the other room, with four flame jets coming out of the floor, you're supposed to use the large pedestal thingie in the other room to cover up one of the jets in order to get by them.

Woo hoo. I just finished this mission (with a little help from this thread. lol) and I have to say its awesome. I love the fact it was puzzle oriented instead of 'avoid the monster' type game. Although it wasn't hugely 'thiefish', it was still a lot of fun.

I did experience a little bit of lag around the flame area - but after applying the fix I downloaded here, it ran with no problem whatsoever.

I have to say those blades in the wall were well done. The top one got stuck in the wall, but the bottom one gave me a few fits - I jumped out of my skin when it hit me and flung me back across the room. lol Nice effect to give an invisible body some actual weight.

I did have a bit of an issue finding where to go. Down into the central room with the dead archaeologist was a bit confusing on where to procede from there. Once I found my way up, again I had a little difficulty finding where to go. I got through the
    spoiler:
    spike pit room, easily, by translating the glyphs. Took me a bit to catch on that some were brighter, but by then I was already on the path.

I loved the puzzle to
    spoiler:
    set up the mirrors to reflect into the sun at the top of the big door.
    It was not hard to see what to do, though getting it to cooperate was a bit of a challenge. It would have been a bit easier to be able to stand behind them and aim them where you could actually see, but over all it was a lot of fun. (and I suppose making it easier isn't a good thing.

Now the puzzle that
    spoiler:
    flips you 180 degress was a bit of a throw.
    It kept me from finding my way through several times I'd run in, not see anything and think it was a dead end, until I caught on to what was going on. It was worse in the
    spoiler:
    room with the fire jets in the wall, as you are concentrating on not being fried and don't notice the flip. lol

The torch was also a brilliant addition. Finding out how to light it was tricky - though I managed it by accident, by pulling out the wrong weapon. But it was nice to be able to use it to illuminate those dark areas where you might otherwise have missed things.

The one thing I would have liked to see more of was places where you need to
    spoiler:
    translate the hiroglyphs.
    I thought this held a lot of potential, and apart from that one spot its almost useless. Enough work went into putting it in in the first place, I would have liked to see more of this. (and not like it was hard to accomplish for the player)

The way water was used was brilliant too. Not the watery-est of water missions, but the usage was very well done. It was startling, and unusual to this game. While I made it through that part without issue (IE, my first instinct was correct about how to get out of there. . .) it was still tense enough to keep my attention.

The atmosphere was lovely. A very nice break from the dark city and caves and rotting mansions. I liked how bright and sunny it was for a change. While I'm not sure I'd like to see a ton of this atmosphere break out for a thief who's supposed to work mainly at night, it was a nice change. This one I will definitely be keeping.

The only *issue* I had was the lack of atmospheric sound, apart from the water, blades and elementals. I think its because I got an error on loadign it saying it could not play the mP3. Not sure what to do about that. I am using Garrettloader to play the FMs.

Kudos to the author. This was a nice way to get my feet wet* for playing fan missions. I shall definitely look forward to seeing more along these lines.

*Pun intended.

Download the latest version of GarrettLoader or DarkLoader that supports .ogg files. The background music is very atmospheric (done by Schattentänzer, I presume).

Thanks - for some reason I didn't happen to try the most obvious solution..

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar View Post
    Download the latest version of GarrettLoader or DarkLoader that supports .ogg files. The background music is very atmospheric (done by Schattentänzer, I presume).
    Oh. I thought I had the latest version. Guess it got updated when I wasn't looking.

Ok, that worked. Had to do a complete reinstall of the Loader, deleting the old one entirely, but I can now hear the sounds in this mission. VERY nice. Was worth the effort of reinstalling. I'll have to replay it now. On Expert, since I already did hard.

Thanks for the help.

Finished. Great mission. It remindes me not only to Tomb raider,
    spoiler:
    the sun masks is a reference to "Prince of Persia, The Sand of times", I guess where you have to put mirrors to direct the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar View Post
    Nope, didn't do this one. But I too like the sound selection for this mission.

Clearinghouse

Bug

Sorry for my English.
    Searched for, searched for stars.... - all have not found,
    spoiler:
    run and jumped together with jammed by slopping onward (on keyboard) in locked gates with big sun upstairs. Has jumped through.

Here is so and passed.

The smurf hieroglyph was a nice touch. Were there any other goofy ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice View Post
    You can also pull yourself up onto the ledge on the lowest pillar, and jump along the ledges in sequence.
    (I assume this is the 'proper' way of doing things.)

I've spoken to the author about this, and s/he said s/he would be releasing an updated version after the contest which made that jump a little easier.

Just be glad that you don't have the jump as it was in the original beta version I tested - it was even more insanely hard!
    well there goes my guess on who made this mission considering that you were a beta tester . unless, that is, you betatested it yourself which i doubt . By the way whoever made this mission you did a fantastic job , especially with the rising water and lightshafts. took me a solid day to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    This FM get +1000 points for all the amazing technical tricks. But then it gets -1 million points for that !@#$% jumping sequence. The brushwork around the first pillar is so sloppy it's almost impossible to even climb onto it.
    Yeah, that rubble is awful to navgiate. I'll try to fix it up a bit for the v1.1 re-release.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    After you've collected and used all the shiny things, is it possible to kill those water elementals? They seem immune to all forms of fire, so eventually I just mad-dashed past them.
    No, you can't kill them. It didn't really make much sense to me that fire arrows or swords or arrows would be able to damage them, so I just left them immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I can't wait to have a look in Dromed to see how it was pulled off.
    'Fraid you're going to be disappointed. NVReflector, NVLaserBeam, NVRotable scripts, and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Renault View Post
    Does it really adhere to the contest rules? In actuality...
    95% of it has nothing to do with water.

I would have loved to see more flowing water, wells, pools, water traps, etc, considering it is the "Temple of the Tides."

Maybe that's the point, making the endgame much more powerful and poignant, but the contest rules still stated each mission must have "lots of water." This mission does not.
    Well, that was somewhat purposeful, since I wanted people to be thinking "Where's all the water?" up until the end, though I guess a few more little cannals and flowing water would have added to the atmosphere. For technical reasons, it would have been a bit difficult to have any water in the area that gets flooded, though, since it would really have had to be removed at that point as underwater surfaces under water would look very odd....

Quote Originally Posted by bdkl
    I don't understand , with the amount of time invested in these things , why someone wouldn't have beta tested to small extent of simply loading a saved game.
    I think that's being a little unfair. Of course the mission was beta tested (Spitter in particular did an extremely excellent job), but that bug is so intermittent that it didn't affect any of the beta testers. I still have no idea what's causing it - I only noticed it myself shortly before release, and I was up until 5am the night before the deadline trying to fix it before I finally gave up and sent the thing in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Can someone tell me how to deal with the water elementals?
    Running past them works in the waterway hall, but when I enter the hidden room with the tear of the tide there is another water elemental waiting for me.
    No matter how often I try to grab the tear, it always kills me even before water flows into the room.
    He's not supposed to be in there! I was sure I'd blocked off the AI from even being allowed in that room - the sneaky fellow must have found a way in though. Getting the pathfinding to work right for those elementals was a nightmare - for some reason they didn't like the idea of walking on the surface of the water...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F
    Finished. Great mission. It remindes me not only to Tomb raider,
    the sun masks is a reference to "Prince of Persia, The Sand of times", I guess where you have to put mirrors to direct the light.
    The mission was actually quite heavily inspired by the Prince of Persia games, the first two as well as SoT, which at the time I had only played the demo of. I was quite surprised to see them use a similar puzzle to my own when I got that far in SoT, which was after I'd released this mission.

Quote Originally Posted by odourpreventer
    The smurf hieroglyph was a nice touch. Were there any other goofy ones?
    Heh, I didn't even notice that. David Gurrea's been up to no good with his textures again...

Quote Originally Posted by taffer9
    Well there goes my guess on who made this mission considering that you were a beta tester . unless, that is, you betatested it yourself which i doubt
    Of course I tested it myself, while I was working on it.
    Argh, that jump was annoying in my earlier versions.
    Last edited by Nameless_Voice; 30th Oct 2006 at 09:36.

Congrats on the strong finish, NV! I think there's more technical groundbreaking Dromed-wise in this mission than any other FM ever made (and The Haunting would probably be second). So when can we expect a release of NVScript with the new scripts in it?

When it stops exploding!

Seriously, I'm at my wits' end trying to find out what's wrong with it. The problem is only intermittent, so I never know if commenting out a huge block of code actually fixes it, or if it just decides to work for a while.

The crashing was always extremely common for me, I couldn't load the mission itself, whether by starting it or loading a save, more than once pretty much all the time. I'm probably a good test subject for the new versions of the script, if you want, I don't mind playing TotT a few hundred more times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice View Post
    Of course I tested it myself, while I was working on it.
    Argh, that jump was annoying in my earlier versions.
    Im such a fool

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast