TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Alan Wake footage

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    And that's how they've always PRed it. A thriller for adults that feels like a movie.
    If I want to watch a psychological thriller, I'll pop in Misery or Silence of the Lambs. So far I haven't seen any gameplay worth shit.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

It'll likely be the equivalent your a bog standard Hollywood M. Night Shymalan-esque fodder (that's not a compliment). I.e. really predictable twists, that can be seen coming from a mile away.

Let's be honest, the writing in videogames rarely is exceptional. Fanboys usually like to imagine that their favourite game is a "Citizen Kane"; horribly written games like Final Fantasy VII and Half-Life 2 come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    If I want to watch a psychological thriller, I'll pop in Misery or Silence of the Lambs.
    It should be much closer to Twin Peaks, at least atmosphere-wise.

So far I haven't seen any gameplay worth shit.
    Right, exactly as it was intended They haven't planned to show it yet, and it seems specifically don't want to PR the thing as a standard game.
    Last edited by 242; 22nd Oct 2008 at 11:05.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This looks... KICK ASS

Somehow that last panning shot where he's surrounded by some people with axes makes me think the gameplay'll be great as well.

I remain largely unimpressed.

hmm. no gameplay ( it seems ). but loads of movie cliches.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    It should be much closer to Twin Peaks, at least atmosphere-wise.
    I'm still rewatching this atm

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I'm still rewatching this atm
    Me too. Currently on the 1st episode of the 2nd season

PC Gamering Smartey Man

So having a score by Angelo Badalamenti automatically equals a Twin Peak-esque experience?

On a related note, Inland Empire was such a let down.

No man, it totally wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    So having a score by Angelo Badalamenti automatically equals a Twin Peak-esque experience?
    AW has very similar setting too.

On a related note, Inland Empire was such a let down.
    I agree. It's just hastily sewed together fragments shot in various time periods during like 5 or more years. And I didn't like he moved to digital camera, celluloid picture is so much deeper.

Inland Empire is one of the most frightening movies ever made. It reminded me of a hundred bad dreams merged, and they managed to sustain that terrible apprehension for almost three hours (it was a bit long, but that was necessary to make the viewer feel as though they were plunging deeper into insanity -- to the point where you can't remember what it was like before).

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Inland Empire was an over-long exercise in self-indulgence. The editing was appalling; all those drawn out reaction shots, Jesus.

Really Lynch peaked with the honest simplicity of The Straight Story, that film was nothing but raw emotion.

Whatever man, it filled a void for a me (I had been imagining a similar kind of film for years, though I could obviously never actually make it). When Laura Dern said gawd this is just like dialogue from our script! I fuckin lost it. And then Beck starts playing and I felt as though Lynch had snuck into my head and messed around with the wiring. I can understand people thinking it's self-indulgent, but man, Lynch NEEDED to have free reign for once. He's a master of tension and suspense, and he's never showcased them so effectively. It's a great big dark sprawling exploration of the human psyche. Kind of a sequel to Eraserhead, if you think about it.

It shouldn't be compared to the Straight Story at all; rather, see it as a piece of experimental art.
    Last edited by Aja; 23rd Oct 2008 at 01:42.

I'm not really seeing the Lynch touch so much.
    Whereas I'm seeing Silent Hill in spades.

Besides, Lynch was always relatively light with the actual action ... It's always about the build up to it, or skirting the psychological edges around it. And this is a shooter after all (right?).

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    The editing was appalling; all those drawn out reaction shots, Jesus.
    You clearly missed the point, then.

Saying that, it was way too long. And just like with all Lynch movies, I completely love the first half, but don't give two craps about the second.

Not even the climax? Plus there was that one horrifying shot of Laura Dern coming up the walkway (which actually tied-in to the climax in a very strange and unconscious way)... what can I say, I loved it

See Aja, I am a weirdo and thus I completely adore the odd, unsettling feeling Lynch's movies have. However, this feeling works only because the world created by Lynch, while twisted and creepy, has a grounding in reality. Our reality. We can relate to it, that is why we find it so unsettling. However, about halfway through his movies, he drops the connection to our world and goes into a completely abstract lala land. This new world is no longer similar to ours, we can no longer picture ourselves there and, as such, the actions and events lose their effect on you.

At least, that's how it is for me.

That's true, and I agree with you to a point. But I think with Inland Empire, the transition happened so gradually that three quarters the way through you suddenly realize what's going on and it's really frightening. And by that time I was busy trying to piece everything together and work it all out in my mind, so I remained interested, despite the intense length and ultimate incoherence.

And I guess I've seen this film like four times now... so maybe I shouldn't be the one to argue in its favour; there's definitely a bias

On a similar note, have you seen Gozu? It's very David Lynch-esque movie (although I think it came out before him) that, while very odd, never loses the touch with reality I mentioned in my previous post. One of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Besides, Lynch was always relatively light with the actual action ... It's always about the build up to it, or skirting the psychological edges around it. And this is a shooter after all (right?).
    I'm not sure it's a shooter, maybe it's mostly an adventure, like f.e. SH2 was. They keep it in shadows so it's hard to tell definitely now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    On a similar note, have you seen Gozu? It's very David Lynch-esque movie (although I think it came out before him) that, while very odd, never loses the touch with reality I mentioned in my previous post. One of my favs.
    I've seen it. doesn't have anything to do with Lynch, maybe his toolbox, but not his movies. gozu is pure Miike and that's how it should be. Miike seems to be capable to do any movie he likes with ease without loosing energy. see blockbuster Crows0 or BigBangJuvenlie

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Did you guys know that the FM author from the old days, Mokkis, is working on this at Remedy?
    That's pretty awesome. In what specific capacity, Digi?

I'm beginning to think they will never finish that game.....
    Originally Posted by Mokkis

Our methods of working doens't require "level designers" in the old means anymore. We have just environment artists and gameplay designers and I'm assisting the both teams. I got a full time job just recently after working part time for 8 months. I am doing some additional 3d modelling / landscaping and all the physics and collisions implementing is on my duty. I also do some gameplay implementations and tech art stuff, it's cool anyway even though I am not a pure artist yet. =)
    TTLG link

Hey Mokkis - any insider info you can share? We gonna see this game anytime in the next few years or what?

Chakat sex pillow
    I can understand why hordes of people are going 'meh' at the trailer. It doesn't tell you anything.

But the game still looks, apart from the excursions into the uncanny valley, first rate. And the environmental modelling and lighting is excellente.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast