TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Alan Wake footage

I'm actually not terribly bothered about them removing sandbox elements as I do feel that it can hamstring narrative, but at the same time after such a long time waiting I can barely muster up much excitement for this one at all - especially considering as the PC version is in doubt.

Never really understood the draw of this one.

Saw the footage, still don't.

Having yet another shooter is not that interesting, but I'm willing to give it a chance just to see, how that form of narrative will work in a game after the initial "huh, silly" reaction.

I have enough sandbox games already.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

well fuck. This was one of the very few games I was looking forward too, and I don't even really like third person, and now they go and remove open world and question the PC version...

I too was looking forward to this one - but have to admit when they FINALLY showed the demo at E3 this last year didn't like the following things in it & just some thoughts I had on this news;

1. the goofy over the shoulder camera angles (looked kinda Grand theft Auto to me) which I really would have not have liked from day 1 and IMO, would take away from the beauty of the level design in FP,
    2. the weapons and flares that somehow shoot fire to kill zombies (if I understood these correctly from the demo),
    3. could be wrong on my part here (from just seeing the demo) - but could be more Left For Dead type gameplay than a regular adventure shooter with great storyline (which may still be in there).
    4. Maybe my expectations were too high for the 5 years or so we followed it - but didn't seem all that awesome to me.
    5. I understand they may head off a lot of PC support issues/headaches by just developing it for the one XBOX platform - but as us Thief fans in here can testify to - releasing on PC will usually lengthen the interest in a game and/or fill the gaps (by Mods, new Level Design Maps, and ect) between the next release of the game.
    6. I would guess they're making it on PC's - so not sure why a PC release would be a big deal anyway...lol

IMO, it's been mostly PC gamers who kept this thing alive when Remedy said pretty much nothing for years & then they say no PC version? Thx guys - guess we'll learn not to support your projects in the future...

EDIT: Would guess our long time TTLG friend Mokkis (maker of the Circle of Strain # 1,2,and 3 FMs) is still involved on this project - so would love to hear his take on it, but would also guess that he couldn't say anything even if he wanted to - which we would totally understand Mr Mokkis...
    Last edited by Garrettwannabe; 11th Jul 2009 at 14:52.

Taking the Death Toll
    I'll probably still play this. I just never understood the hype.

Chakat sex pillow
    I was hyped about it purely due to the graphics. That was pretty much all we had to go on until recently anyway.

Remember that first announcement trailer? Golden shafts of light spearing the air as the sun goes down on a valley, a road winding through heavily wooded forest, dynamic shadows shifting on the porch of a house as rainclouds swell and gather in the distance... it looked fucking gorgeous.

But that was four fucking years ago. We've had Crysis and Stalker and Far Cry 2 since then. Talk about dropping the goddamn ball.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 11th Jul 2009 at 15:58.

Since thriller is my favourite genre and names like Twin Peaks, Farenheit, or Silent Hill 2 means a lot to me, I'm still pretty interested (if it comes to PC that is), but open world could be very innovative and extremely cool in a game of such genre

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I was hyped about it purely due to the graphics. That was pretty much all we had to go on until recently anyway.

Remember that first announcement trailer? Golden shafts of light spearing the air as the sun goes down on a valley, a road winding through heavily wooded forest, dynamic shadows shifting on the porch of a house as rainclouds swell and gather in the distance... it looked fucking gorgeous.

But that was four fucking years ago. We've had Crysis and Stalker and Far Cry 2 since then. Talk about dropping the goddamn ball.
    Took the words right outta my mouth, Sulph. I was all like 'WOW DirectX 10 fuck yeah'. Hell, Direct X 11 will be out by the time this ships. Dropped the ball, indeed.

Oh, and since no PC version, the direct X 10 isn't even going to be utilized, correct? Since the Xbox has a, what, modified DX 9 environment, right?

Atmosphere is key

Prior to release Stalker had a similar story. But that turned out to be pretty damn good despite its no-so-jaw-dropping-any-more graphics.

I'd still be interested in Alan Wake if I only knew the premise. Sure, cutting edge graphics would be cool, but they are in no way a prerequisite for it to be a good game.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, see, half that atmosphere is the graphics. Even for Stalker, where it's more about great art direction than a handsome, cutting-edge engine. Stalker's setting happens to be unique and intriguing even if you're only reading about it, whereas Alan Wake's... isn't as much.

Also, as far as narrative goes: honestly, I didn't play Stalker for the story as much as I did for the experience of actually being in the zone. The narrative was there, and it enhanced the game, but it wasn't necessarily the game's raison d'ętre.

Now I'm not saying that Alan Wake's going to be a bad game because its graphics engine isn't bleeding-edge. It might turn out to be a perfectly fine game.

The thing is, all we knew about the game four years ago was that it had amazing graphics and a so-so premise. Those graphics aren't as amazing four years on, and all we're left with - still - is that so-so premise.

And we do know the premise. Here you go.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 13th Jul 2009 at 18:11.

plus, Alan himself still looks like a mannequin

Chakat sex pillow
    it's Remedy channelling silent hill Aja, get with the program

Remedy (Markus Maki) posted an semi-update on the PC version & sounds like it's Microsoft pretty much in the driver's seat on releasing a PC version and not Remedy...
    “Thank you for your continued interest in Alan Wake. It is accurate that we are currently working exclusively on the Xbox360 version of Alan Wake. PC plans are currently open, and therefore it’s safe to say that at least a simultaneous launch with the Xbox version will not happen at this late stage. Remedy has a deep heritage in PC gaming and would love to see a PC version available to its PC followers, ultimately however this decision lies with our publisher.”
    BrightFalls.net Link

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Behold the BULLSHOTS

Chakat sex pillow

holy lens flare, Batman!

Alan Wake action posin' wallpaper set: see Alan run, see Alan jump, see Alan getting humped by a helicopter from behind! (now also available with realistic facial expressions)
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Sep 2009 at 07:53. Reason: i can't stop clicking

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Behold the BULLSHOTS

Looks incredible. Too bad it's an exclusive

Chakat sex pillow
    Fragony, you need to look up the term 'bullshot', stat

Mister Science
    Missed that, but why wouldn't this be possible. Seen better, but in less interesting games.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Missed that, but why wouldn't this be possible.
    It's a 360 game, no current gen console title looks anywhere near that sharp. Such extreme AA would probably reduce the game to a slideshow, considering how weak the hardware is.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    It's a 360 game, no current gen console title looks anywhere near that sharp. Such extreme AA would probably reduce the game to a slideshow, considering how weak the hardware is.
    Friend of mine has one of these full HD tv's, it comes pretty close

Chakat sex pillow
    So regardless of whether your TV actually displays 1280x720, that 2xAA looks better if it's on a FULL HD TV does it?

No, it doesn't.

Mister Science
    I am no techie I have no idea what all that AA means, but as I said these games on his TV comes pretty close to this. He has a PS3 though, but the PS3 isn't any sharper than the 360 (as far as I know).

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Looks incredible. Too bad it's an exclusive
    No PC, no buy.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast