TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: New Alan Wake footage

New Alan Wake footage

Here. Advance to 17:25. It's from some Intel press event about their new quad-core CPUs.

The game itself looks incredibly pretty.
    Of couse, when you enter Parliament, you will all also be ripped to the teats on fine cocaine...

Previously Important
    That is just absolutely insane. If it wasn't for the fact that the character looks like a video game character (and okay, the light demonstration was a little HAY GUYS VOLUMETRIC LIGHTS LOOK AT THE FAN GO!!!), I would swear most of that was filmed.

The water is just spectacular.

I'm going to have to buy a new chipset, aren't I? There's no way the game's going to look and perform like THAT on a dual-core, is there?

Can't play the file in Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player. What gives?
    There's no codec-requirement I can find either.

it's a stream, and it played through WinAmp for me.

It looks extremely impressive, but the animation needs some work, it looks a bit too jerky, and the lack of inertia (running and stopping perfectly on a dime) really stands out IMO. The character whilst standing also looked too stiff and rigid in terms of posture to really look lifelike.

The volumetric lighting and the sheer scale of the landscape is great however.

Not getting anything either. Winamp opens up but it doesn't play the file.

That link sucks and recently firefox has been fucking sucking when it comes to windows media, it fell over with that new Dark Messiah trailer too.

The Alchemist
    Wasnt this game coming out for Xbox? How's it going to handle all that mutlicore hype?

My Lotus Elise is getting old :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    There's no way the game's going to look and perform like THAT on a dual-core, is there?
    If looks could kill... ¬¬

Somebody cut out the 4 minutes and uploaded it.

Quote Originally Posted by bit-tech.net
    Intel officially revealed the name of Kentsfield this morning, and branded it Core 2 Quad.

It will be out in November. We were treated to a demo of a Quad machine running Remedy's unreleased follow-up to Max Payne, Alan Wake.

The game looked, frankly, stunning. Remedy has coded the engine to take advantage of quad-core processors - the engine scales as you move from single to dual to quad. We saw some amazing environmental effects, not to mention true next-gen graphics that easily rival anything from Unreal Engine.

Markus Maki, Remedy's rep at the forum, said that Alan Wake had been 18 months in the making so far. The multiple cores are used to stream data in the background in preparation for moves into new areas, and to prepare output for the graphics card to render.

Markus also revealed that one whole core is used for physics calculations, and we saw a hurricane tear up the in-game world in a rather realistic fashion as illustration.

For the true enthusiasts, Intel revealed that this Kentsfield, the Q6700, had been overclocked up to 3.73GHz, a 1GHz clock, with no issues. "Overclocking is allowed here, huh?" mused Otellini.

Alan Wake looked stunning, and it seems that quad-core could soon be ready for gamers. We'll be hearing far more later on in the day, so we'll be sure to let you know.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/09...ded_Alan_Wake/

Administrator
    Looks like they came up with an interesting solution to the problems of programming a game engine for multicore processors. From what I've read it seems like a nightmare of scheduling problems, but when the chap from remedy said they were using an entire core for physics simulation, it implied they've got some way for it to communicate with processes going on in the other cores, because in a game everything tends to be dependent on something else. I suppose that's a sloppy way of explaining, but it isn't a trivial problem by any means.

Inter-process/thread communication has been around for decades and is well understood.

The dedicated core for physics is probably a gross over simplification; you couldn't get maximum utilization out of all cores with a single physics thread. If I had to invent an modern engine on the spot right now I'd have a physics thread per core, a rendering thread per core and various other threads for input and sound and content streaming etc.

Edit: less sarcasm
    Last edited by dvrabel; 27th Sep 2006 at 18:30.

Previously Important
    I wonder if anyone's got the balls to remake the first Silent Hill with this tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    I wonder if anyone's got the balls to remake the first Silent Hill with this tech?
    Not so much balls as time.

Finally caught this footage and the screens, wow. Still psyched for this one.

This is definately one to look forward to. This may poo on S.T.A.L.K.E.R Might even give Crysis a run for it's money!

Not sure it's gonna matter how much this game is on release day - I'm gonna go get one and play this as soon as it's out.

I happened to be lucky enough to catch the story on Blues News.com right after Remedy revealed it at E3 2005. Like GBM stated above - I thought the screens looked like a movie from the game & couldn't possibly actually be the gameplay.

This one's is gonna take us to a whole new level of gaming just like the HL2 and Doom 3 engines did recently in my opinion. It so cool how close the industry is getting to realistic worlds & even cooler that we'll get to wander around in them.

I was thinking how cool it would have been like to have a game like Mafia look like this - where you had a small city and surrounding areas as the game to wander around in.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs View Post
    This is definately one to look forward to. This may poo on S.T.A.L.K.E.R Might even give Crysis a run for it's money!
    An atmospheric horror game will poo on an RPG hybrid, or even an action shooter.

...waht? Unless you're talking about graphics, in which case, are there new STALKER shots I'd not seen? The last I saw didn't look that hot.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dvrabel View Post
    Inter-process/thread communication has been around for decades and is well understood.
    I was only referring to problems in terms of game engines as a specific application where processes have to be synchronised almost at each frame, further complicated by the fact that one can't predict what the player will do. At least that's the impression I got from this article on Gamasutra (and another one I can't seem to find).

So I thought that Markus Maki's mention of using a core for preparing data was an interesting device, as the task probably doesn't have to synchronise too often with the rest of the game loop.

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I just read about a cooperation between Microsoft and Remedy. Sounds like the game itself will benefit from this cooperation (professional voice acting, reduced development costs). At the same time this "Vista only" mark bugs me as I´m planning to build a new rig which, right now, neither contains a DX10-card nor new system software.

Since I´m looking forward to this title it seems like I may have to reconsider and invest a few extra bucks. So now that Microsoft have me by the balls they might as well give a gently massage.

Cooperation with Microsoft gives lift to game developer Remedy

Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system is aiding the Finnish game developer Remedy Entertainment, of Max Payne fame, in obtaining further publicity and lift.

Microsoft has taken the game house based in Espoo under its special protection. The world's largest software firm will produce the Remedy Entertainment's next game, a psychological action thriller called Alan Wake.
    This is the first time Microsoft will publish a Finnish computer game. And that is not all: out of the dozens of games on offer, Microsoft has placed a special spotlight on Alan Wake.

Alan Wake, a game still very much under development, is one of the few games the software giant will use when demonstrating the gaming abilities of its latest operating system, Windows Vista. Even based on the introductory material, the quality of the game has caused admiration.
    Lead game designer Petri Järvilehto of Remedy does not want to speculate when the game might be on the market. "In the computer games business, it often happens that a too optimistic launch date is advertised, and it then has to be postponed."
    Remedy has just over 30 employees.
    "We are a very small team to work on something of this scale", business director Matias Myllyrinne comments. Games of Alan Wake's calibre are often produced by a core team with in excess of a hundred staffers.

Remedy manages because it outsources some of the production, while keeping its core team tight. Making it to the Microsoft team translates to significantly increased resources.
    "Microsoft has huge machinery for games production. If a team of 80 voice actors are needed from the States, they can provide it. Their test laboratory is also fantastic", Järvilehto enthuses.

These days, the production of computer games has similarities to film making. Also in Alan Wake all the characters have been modelled after actors, who - in some cases - will also lend their voices to the characters.
    All the actors are American, apart from the title character himself, who has been modelled after the Finnish actor Ilkka Villi.
    Remedy and Microsoft have refrained from revealing how much money will be used in developing the game. According to Järvilehto, the production of a game of this scale typically costs in excess of EUR ten million, with marketing costs in the same region.

The Microsoft connection will also set limits to the Remedy games. Alan Wake will require either the Windows Vista operating system or Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console as its platform. The game will not be translated for other consoles.
    Myllyrinne does not see this as a hindrance. The fact that the game does not have to be translated to all different platforms will simplify and speed up its production.
    Remedy's previous hit games Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2 have sold over seven million copies worldwide. Among gaming enthusiasts, the launch of Alan Wake is most eagerly awaited.
    Nevertheless, despite the possible success, Remedy will not be significantly increasing the size of the company, Järvilehto vows.
    Link

The game is coming out on the 360, which at 500 bucks is still considerably cheaper than what it would cost you to get your PC ready to play it at an equivalent level of performance and detail I should think.
    Last edited by Vigil; 7th Feb 2007 at 13:27.

Lurker
    Me loves my little box of 360 joy a little more every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil View Post
    The game is coming out on the 360, which at 500 bucks is still considerably cheaper than what it would cost you to get your PC ready to play it at an equivalent level of performance and detail I should think.
    Of course, you have to defend your greedy compatriots.

I know in the future there will be an increasing number of Vista only titles, but has it to start so early and has it to be Alan Wake?

is Best Pony
    Well, if you're Microsoft and you really need some hook for people to think about upgrading to Vista for, then yes.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast