TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: DML install

DML install

I was looking for information on how to install the standalone DML's. I have not done this and hope Unna could post the instruction again as I cannot seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    1. I always note the dml name on top of the code. It's something like "miss20.mis.dml" for a mission dml or "mygamesys.gam.dml" for a gamesys dml
    2. You need to use a modern mission loader (FMSEL, NewDarkloader, Angelloader). Darkloader won't work.
    3. Install the mission and open the mission folder in the root folder FM/
    4. Create a txt file in this folder. Copy the code and save it as "miss.xx.mis.txt" or "mygamesys.gam.txt" (without quotes). Then rename txt to dml. The file extension has to be dml.
    That's all. Next time after starting the game, the dml will load.

I previously put together pictorial instructions here

Note: The vast majority of T2 missions up to and including all the 2005 missions are now automatically fixed for you if you play via T2Fix, if you haven't already patched your T2 install with T2Fix do so now and check the Fixed mission box in the dialog box when installing T2Fix. The only dml's you need to manually install atm are 2006 missions, and all of those will be added to FMdml via T2Fix within a couple of months.

fortuni's DML instructions added to the Fan Mission Information Links thread. I thought I'd already done that but I must have forgotten/got distracted.

Thank you all....

I have put a DML file into a mission's zip archive, and now it does work with FMSel and ancient Darkloader. If we forget for just a moment that Darkloader is old and, more or less, unsupported these days - is there a technical reason for not putting DML files into zip files?

Does anyone know what happens when one DML file is put into the mission's zip file, and a different one for the same mission into a FMDML folder (or something else)? Does NewDark load just one of them, both, or does it do something else which horribly messes up the fabric of the whole universe, and we're all gonna die??

FM dmls in root folder is forbidden. It might work this time, but there are other dmls and other missions. Nobody is cleaning the root folder manually afterwards, so this is prone to mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    FM dmls in root folder is forbidden. It might work this time, but there are other dmls and other missions. Nobody is cleaning the root folder manually afterwards, so this is prone to mistakes.
    So Darkloader creates a potential problem by placing the DML file in Thief 2's root folder during FM installation, and FMSel and NewDarkLoader avoid it by keeping the DML file in {Thief 2 root folder}\FMs\{FM folder}, right?

(I am not a DarkLoader fan, but still try to make some things as compatible as possible, including handling things for ancient Darkloader if possible without severe problems.)

Exactly, dml in root folder will cause issues, sooner or later. Modern Loaders have nice FM folders to keep the system intact.

Zombified
    generally, any custom dml you have should only reside right next to the mis/gam file it's supposed to fix. consider any other location a no-go, unless you have a experience in the area and know exactly what you are doing.

to answer the technical question, all dmls from all valid paths will be loaded, their load order/priority depending on their locations (ex. modpaths are lower than fmpaths, which are lower than ubermodpaths etc). in case two dmls that modify the same prop are being loaded, whichever dml has the highest priority will be applied last, the prop ending up with the value from the last dml.

also, don't try to bring the deadloader into this. just.. don't.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    generally, any custom dml you have should only reside right next to the mis/gam file it's supposed to fix.
    That does not seem to be relevant here. "Deadloader", as you named the ancient undead FM installing creature, will also install DMLs next to the files it fixes. As long as Darkloader does its job properly, I do not see any problem with that. However, as soon as Darkloader messes something up, all hell may break loose. I have not had that often, but other people's mileage seems to vary a lot. Threads with issues because of messed-up game directories due to Darkloader hiccuping still pile up every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    also, don't try to bring the deadloader into this. just.. don't.
    Leave that to me. I have written again and again that I am NOT a Darkloader fan (especially since that old fart of a FM loader does not work flawlessly for me anymore), but since some other people still use it, I take that into account whenever I package some FM for public use. I only slam the door in people's faces if it is necessary. I don't dictate them an opinion on this matter, although I try to educate them about the perils of old Fartloader.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 27th Sep 2019 at 21:02.