TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 Fan Mission - A Pirate's Downfall - 2006-10-02

I have found 4 secrets already but I cant find the freggin septic tank door. Please help me find it. Thanks.

Big time

L-line: remember the shaft you came up through into the gardener's house to start?

Nicked, thanks again on a quite enjoyable mission. Brought the blackjack out on this one early, sensing that it was puzzle-focused.
    spoiler:
    I thought the mission got better as it went on, and I only got stuck on the middle two numbers in the puzzle. I tried reading it in an English accent to see if it made more sense, but no.

One question:
    spoiler:
    How the heck did they sail THAT ship into THAT cave?

Truthfully, I liked Beneath the Sands better, but this was certainly a good one.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieAlme View Post
    One question:
    spoiler:
    How the heck did they sail THAT ship into THAT cave?
    Did you read this post :
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...64#post1512364

HAY !! Where is the septic tank door ?? I see two posts from others who are obviously further into the mission then me and no help ?? Come on.

Oops !!! Thanks. I thought abaut that cave area but I didnt remember seeing anything on the way up.
    Last edited by Lightningline; 21st Oct 2006 at 19:37.

Go back into the gardner's house and take a close look into that manhole you came from -- as RonnieAlme already said, right after your last post.

Loved this mission - one of the best in ages. Congratulations to Nicked - very interesting mission, managed all objs except for the eye - needed to read this thread to get that one!

I enjoyed "From Beneath the Sands" and can't wait to play this one.

Today is the first day in months where I can finally check on new FMs and play Thief. I moved, bought a house, started a new job and had no time at all.

I am glad to see that there are new missions.

Walkthrough and Lootlist

epithumia is kindly hosting these at Cheap Thief Missions here.

thanks very much to ffox for the walkthrough and lootlist!

WOW...Detailed Mapping !!!

It's fantastic to see a Fan Mission that actually uses a dynamic map. By that I mean the map shows you by way of shading the area you are currently in plus the areas you've covered.
    For whatever reason, maps always seem like an afterthought to the mission artist, something to quickly scribble in at the last moment if at all.

Great FM nicked

this FM played much larger than the reported size. Wayto get so much bang for our buck. Great mix of indoor,outdoor and underground. The dragons eye pzzle was good but difficult. I don't understand why we had to hit the switch at the bottom of the elevator more than once. It messed me up for a while.
    The forum is a must for FM'S - I find many that are as good (or better) than the original.
    Cant wait for the next.

I just finished the mission in Expert with all the loot. Needed help with the last 20, which was
    spoiler:
    in a bowl in the graveyard.

The mission ended rather strangely.
    spoiler:
    After completing all essential objetives, I dropped Smith off at the gate, but the misison did not end. I was at the gate, too, of course, so it should have ended then. By going back down to a flat spot and going back up to the gate, then it ended.
    But there is more. Instead of going back to the exit gate, I went back into the mansion to hunt for the last bit of loot. When I finally found it, it triggered the ending right there without my going back to the exit.

I had a lot of fun with the mission, but was quite hard owing to some tricky parts. Two things I needed help with from the forum were:
    spoiler:
    The need to trigger the alarm event. I did it and then reloaded, thinking it was just a silly trap. Frankly, I think that this would make more sense if the ladder had come down and the alarm had rung in another way.
    The result of this "error" was wandering around for hours, clueless, trying to find another secret switch.
    spoiler:
    The painting puzzle. I had collected all the information over several days, and it just did not click how to piece it together.

Anyway, in spite of some initial frustration, it unfolded nicely once I allowed the event to occur. I made it harder than it had to be by failing to check the map. Doh!

Thanks for your comments. Due to the rather nasty keyhunt nature of this mission and overly complex puzzles, my next mission will be virtually free of locked doors altogether.

One of these days I may get around to releasing a version of this with a few bug fixes and a slight simplification of some puzzles.

I know I'm a little bit late, but it has some advantages (usually higher version of FM eventually with corrected bugs; and FM thread is full of hints and spoilers... )
    This FM is great. I have had a lot of nice moments... Good work, nicked !
    Last edited by Aspirin; 7th Apr 2008 at 06:17.

Hear, hear! This is one of my favorites, and it's good to give it a bump once in a while.

Superb nicked!! Looks like you had a lot of fun creating this. Your caves are magnificent. Nice touch for the tombstones. And the feeling of vertigo on the pinnacle of the mast was awesome. Lucked out in finding the security switch earlier on in the game so everything went along smoothly until the event. Really HATED it; but found out it could not be avoided and, therefore, was greatly relieved when I could finally shut it off. Challenging number puzzle ... especially if English is not your first language. And wouldn't advise eating just before (and especially during) your visit to the games room. Sounds like you actually recorded someone experiencing the aftermaths of an all-night binge.

Found an anomaly: Re-triggering the alarm, either in the bedroom or at the bottom of the tower, causes any re-enforcements that were spawned during the initial event to re-spawn to their original location. Fortunately those that had been rendered unconscious still remain unconscious; but, it's still a nuisance. Can this be corrected? Also found that I had to frob a certain book twice for something to open.

Your ending leaves an opening for a sequel ... reunion and revenge. Is there anything in the works?

A great and enjoyable mission! Can't believe I only came across it yesterday... I really should pay more attention to the Fan missions forum

Quite proud of myself in that I -playing on fiendish-found all secrets, all the loot and the bonus objective without any help from the forums. I think that's a first for me, but in this level the loot isn't hidden as devilishly as in some other FM and I usually don't even try to get all the loot anyway. I did check the forum for the secret door in the graveyard, though, since the door was still closed after I came back up from the hideout. I'm kinda not counting this against me but as a bug in that you have to frob the book lever twice...

Only nitpicks are
    -that the attic is only reachable after you trigger the "event". There should be a way to go up there and to the smugglers' caves without triggering the alarm. I wouldn't be very secrety otherwise...
    -that there are nearly no light switches anywhere. My opinion is either use (gas)torches or have a light switch.
    -that the maid in the kitchen could see you through the closed fireplace.

And I think there is a bug with the puzzle for the Dragon's eye:
    There is a tiny switch in each of the windows and some posts in this thread even tell you to frob BOTH of them. But I found out that you may only frob the right handed one, otherwise the secret door will not open. So, not sure if this is actually a bug or simply more trickery but there aren't any hints about this special fact in the mission.

Sadly, ghosting wasn't possible on Fiendish. Before the event you have to get rid of the archer standing in the entrance hall as he keeps you from accessing the other half of the house. The rest is ghostable (but then 1 KO is a bust).
    And after the event there's no way to get outside -unseen/ ghosting- since all exits are guarded by groups of AI
    And, of course, one secret has another forced ghost bust...
    There's also a guard waiting for you at the aladder to the atticwhen you return from the smugglers' caves, busting a ghost.

Still, I liked the mission very much, there were mayn great moments. For one, I constantly expected some monster or some ambush in both the starting caves and the caves to the forest. Finding Lord Smith alive was another one. And of course some very funny readables.

Before the "event" I ended up also knocking out the two Nobles ( who I hope were Lord Partridge and son) - as a kind of bonus to my client

What do you think is the minimum number of Ai you have to k.o. to be able to "ghost"?
    Last edited by Meisterdieb; 19th Apr 2009 at 10:52.

I'm not sure - I didn't plan for ghosting the mission while building it unfortunately! Glad you enjoyed it though!

Often thought about making a sequel to this, but never came up with any particularly good ideas.

I'd figured out how to do light switches by Memoirs of a Dead God, and that one should be ghostable.

Very fun so far!

And, DAMN but this is making me really wish I could Dromed - because it's coalescing some vague ideas I have had and, if the painting history book does not contain clues, then heh heh heh - it has fired a FIENDISH idea all of my own!

EDIT: aha - there is a clue there - but sorry man - not the best of that type I have heard!
    (I think my idea is more diabolically cunning!)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh boy! The day these rich moo-rons start actually hiring enough guards to actually watch the bloody security cameras they bother to put in, then Garrett's taffin days become numbered!!!

Those books! HAHAHA! "Benny's Moment of Clarity by A.A. Member"!!!!
    (Benny? A.A? NEVER!!!!!)

Two questions:

Is that the son in the first room after the gallery?

and is that Lord P in the room with the 3 trophies?
    (I know it said he's away - but...)
    Last edited by Garrett's Shadow; 21st Nov 2009 at 19:40.

1. Yes, the son is in the room with the crooked rug (I think).
    2. Yes, that is Lord Partridge - he was away, but he came back!

darn!

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    1. Yes, the son is in the room with the crooked rug (I think).
    2. Yes, that is Lord Partridge - he was away, but he came back!
    See, now I gotta play it again, cuz something happened in a reload and all of a sudden he was'nt there in that room (I think i bj-ed him somewhere else - will have to check my saves - he's in purple just like sonny boy sob jr right?) - else I woulda put him in with jr. and the necro trio from down South (WAY down South)!!!

help!

I´m replaying this mission on expert, i need to aquire a opal, but i found this cryptic message that i have to read aloud the tittles of the paintings in the right order, what the hell is this about? what am i suppose to do...and where the heck is patridge´s testament?

Oh that puzzle is terrible! If I made this mission now, that'd be the first thing to go!

The paintings:

The artist's names, in order are: Theck Lewis Forth Ensick Sever Nandet Tafter Wood Scott Uther Musy Kroom. Which, when read aloud, sort of becomes "The clue is Four then Six, Seven and Eight. Afterwards go to the music room. Terrible I know. Basically, there's a switch (or two?) on the windows in the music room which open a secret passage. The code is a bit more complex - you need to take the 4678 from the paintings, but there should be a readable somewhere that tells you to add a number or two to the end. Those numbers escape me at the moment I'm afraid.

As for the will:

I think on Expert, you'll find it in the cold storage room, but you probably can't access this until later. Sorry, it's been a while!

Thanks Nicked ...i found the rest of the code through Dromed ...mission Finished in expert mode

Hello,
    I've just started playing this FM and it crashes not much long after the beginning…
    More specifically when I try to enter the room beside the chapel on the second floor.
    I'm using the new patch "New Dark" and in the log the last line reads :

Code:
    : FATAL: trying to set non-power-of-two sized texture in lgd3d (129x128)
    Is there something I can do ?

Edit : I've just tried to alter alter darkinst.cfg to prevent the use of the enhancement pack, and now all seems to work.
    That's strange I've never had this problem before, is it possible that some files in the EP are wrong ?
    Last edited by Wronschien; 15th Nov 2012 at 17:46.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast