TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else upgrading their pcs in anticipation of Bioshock?

Anyone else upgrading their pcs in anticipation of Bioshock?

After coming to work for Geek Squad I've taken advantage of the discount like a mad bastard. My computer wasn't bad per se, but it was starting to droop and wither. Still, I didn't think of upgrading until Oblivion came out. After playing what amounted to a obscure relative's slide show of a trip to the dungeons of Middle Earth I knew I needed to get with the times. With much grumbling I forked out the cash for an AGP geforce 7600 and a memory upgrade.

The cool part is that a bunch of old games now played brilliantly. I had fun going through hl2 and FEAR one more time with visual effects turned on and reasonable resolutions. I could tell what it was I was shooting at!

Now Bioshock is coming out. I assume I will be able to run the game with settings at medium at very least, but I was worried about the sound. I have a hunch sound is going to be a biiiig element of the atmosphere I thought it prudent to upgrade my flagging live! card. So today I bought an x-fi and some new speakers.

Everything sounds great- never expected to hear such great audio quality from my lil' old rig (once again, I'm finding new things to appreciate in old games) but man am I spending a lot. I'm even thinking of bumping my processor to the max my board can handle. If I can't pay my bills and make rent this month I'm blaming it on Irrational... I'm looking at you, Levine.

You better have a couch for me to crash on. Er, anyways, is there anyone else here making upgades based solely on running Bioshock? I can't be the only silly person with more money than common sense.
    Last edited by blondlot; 9th Oct 2006 at 06:10.

Upgrade for Bioshock? Nah. I'll be upgrading for Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Battlefield 2142, Supreme Commander, and CnC 3. If it runs Bioshock, well, that's just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by blondlot View Post
    Er, anyways, is there anyone else here making upgades based solely on running Bioshock? I can't be the only silly person with more money than common sense.
    I'm going to upgrade when Bioshock comes out. Until then I'm doing just fine with my current rig.

Overclocking is a bit of a hobby of mine, so, any excuse for an upgrade is a good one. If BioShock were to be released tomorrow, it'd run just fine on my computer. I sometimes consider settling for 'just fine' but hey, we all have silly thoughts sometimes.

As the tool man would say: "More power!"

I upgraded my machine for T3, I'll probably go through the cycle for BioShock too. DX10 cards will be available by then so it should be a good time (if there's ever a "good time") to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf View Post
    so it should be a good time (as if there's ever a "bad time") to upgrade.
    Fixed that for ya.

I'm upgrading as soon as one of my anticipated games (stalker, BioShock, HL2:e2) is released.

I'll wait with the upgrade till VISTA is compatible to play old games, DX10 has its bugs ironed out and some software is optimized for 2,4,8,... cores.
    ah, and I'd like to have the new BTX-formfactor.

so I think this will be next summer, right b4 or after bioshock comes out

Why upgrade in advance? No official release date has been given so it'll be at least a few more months until it's actually out, which gives more time for better hardware and/or price drops.

Previously Important
    I can't upgrade until quad-cores hit the shelves.

I thought of upgrading, but instead I may buy a 360. Unless there will be a signifigant distinction between the two versions (like a level editor or modability) , then I may upgrade my PC instead.

I won't have to upgrade immediately because a guy that lives across from me has a computer that will most definitely be able to run the game in some manner or other; but I will have to get a whole new system if I want to think about playing the game myself :/

Depends how minimalistic is the art deco!
    If this takes place mainly erm.. indoors, surely a PC that runs DoomIII well will suffice..? Trendy water effects won't scare my GPU as long as they stay indoors and i don't forsee any crowded scenes bumping up the polygons.. Defo need to invest in a widescreen monitor though.
    Last edited by quinch; 7th Oct 2006 at 16:48.

The last game I specifically upgraded my PC for was Thief: Deadly Shadows. So, no. I'll hold off awhile before upgrading my PC for Bioshock.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    I'll wait with the upgrade till VISTA is compatible to play old games, DX10 has its bugs ironed out and some software is optimized for 2,4,8,... cores.
    ah, and I'd like to have the new BTX-formfactor.

so I think this will be next summer, right b4 or after bioshock comes out
    Vista plays (DX9) games 10-25% slower than XP does.
    Anyone spending a lot of money of GPU's to get optimal performance for the bucks will stay clear of Vista for some time..

Quote Originally Posted by TG01 View Post
    Vista plays (DX9) games 10-25% slower than XP does.
    Anyone spending a lot of money of GPU's to get optimal performance for the bucks will stay clear of Vista for some time..
    I remember the same argument being used when XP came out and was compared to Win98. We're already seeing 200+ FPS in HL2, so there is headroom if DX10 can ratchet up the image quality enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm staying clear of Vista for awhile simply because it's a Microsoft OS. I don't trust MS OS' right out of the gate... unless Bioshock won't run on XP, but I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere that it would be compatible.
    If it won't be... well, there goes another $500

I definitely want to upgrade for Bioshock. However, if the game is released early in the year, I will force myself to wait a bit longer. As much as that would suck. But I wouldn't want to play the game on anything less than the best hardware.

My target timeframe for an upgrade is Q3 of next year, when the quad-core CPUs start to arrive. By then Vista will have been patched up, DX10 cards will have been out for a while, and AM2+ motherboards will become available.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf View Post
    I remember the same argument being used when XP came out and was compared to Win98. We're already seeing 200+ FPS in HL2, so there is headroom if DX10 can ratchet up the image quality enough to make it worthwhile.
    Fine, if you just want to play Source engine games at 800-600 with no AA on an Core Duo X6800 ATI X1900XT512.. duh ..

Some people play games like Oblivion.. Most of them don't have an X6800 or equally powerfull CPU nor will they get one in the near future.
    These people need that 10-25% 10- FPS in Oblivion

But thank you for showing me to that test.. I'm even more glad than I already was with my new X1900XT 256MB ..

Quote Originally Posted by TG01 View Post
    Fine, if you just want to play Source engine games at 800-600 with no AA on an Core Duo X6800 ATI X1900XT512.. duh ..
    You know I was going to put disclaimers on my post - low resolution, one game, good hardware etc. - but I figured everyone would understand it as a simple, symbolic example. Duh me indeed.

I'm not upgrading again until my computer starts stuttering and complaining with everything up at maximum. It hasn't done that for any games so far this year - HL2E1, Prey, or Hitman: Contracts, so I guess I'll be running it like that for a while. And even then, I'll probably just scale back the AA and see if it runs better then... I can handle jaggies.

It's kind of a shame, but my next PC will most probably be an Apple laptop. My windows PC is fine in all respects other than being able to hold a candle to the latest games. Bioshock looks very cool, but I shan't be playing.

My brother has a geforce 5500 and I managed to get oblivion to run on it. I had to overclock it and tamper with so many options that it barely ran. He must have had like 5 fps indoors and 10 outdoors. If oblivion runs like that, I doubt Bioshock would even run on his comp. When you can't even start the latest games is when its time to upgrade, else leave it and run it on very low. It will be like Bioshock came out 5 years ago.

I've quit PC gaming, getting it on the 360.

J1M.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodKite View Post
    My brother has a geforce 5500 and I managed to get oblivion to run on it. I had to overclock it and tamper with so many options that it barely ran. He must have had like 5 fps indoors and 10 outdoors. If oblivion runs like that, I doubt Bioshock would even run on his comp. When you can't even start the latest games is when its time to upgrade, else leave it and run it on very low. It will be like Bioshock came out 5 years ago.
    That's what I had too! Oblivion ran horribly until I downloaded the patch that added the ultra low quality setting; I was happy to be able to play, but ultra low looks godawful and the game stutters occasionally. It really cheesed me, cos I had been able to run current(ish) games like Doom 3 and HL2 on medium without spending more money upgrading.

I have to admit, even though I balked at the cost, I've been very happy with the results of my purchases. It's a good feeling to have a game auto select "high" upon its initial run. I haven't had a title do that since Battlezone 2.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast