TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think?

It's the buggiest game I ever played - by far. I don't get further than the end of the tutorial because of that. the bugs are very... diversified. the crashes are different every time... and I am not the only guy who has lots of problems as one can see in the ubisoft forums.

I must say that I think it is barefaced behaviour to release a game in such a state. Especially, since a lot of people already reported similar problems with the demo a few months ago.

Well, I am going to wait a few weeks and hope that MANY patches will have been released until then. so that I can actually PLAY.

From what I have read the people who have the most problems tend to have 1GB of RAM of below. This game seems to be massively RAM hungry, and there may be some problems with swapping data between RAM and the hard drive.
    A friend and I both have systems with quite a large chunk of RAM in them, and neither of us have had a single crash with Dark Messiah.

Well I have 2 GB of RAM.

What seems to help is, when before the end of a level you reduce your graphics settings massively, then let the game load, and then inside the level set them back to a higher level.

but I haven't yet tested that systematically. I am currently too pissed off. I need to calm down, get back into Dark Messiah mood. maybe tonight.

I have 1 gig of RAM.

I've played to probably around halfway through the game have enjoyed it thoroughly and haven't had a single crash. The only problem I've encountered is my usual source engine issue of brief stuttering at the start of levels/load zones.

The combat is definitely repetitive but all the different ways there are of dispatching your enemies keeps it enjoyable.

Those hanging trees are very ugly though.

@rhoelzl
    i, too, have the same problem (though i do only have 1GB of RAM).
    the thing is, there are people with lesser specs otherwise & the same amount of RAM having no troubles so there has to be a common thread somewhere aside from the amount of RAM thing.

setting everything down to low works for me except for 3 places in the game (loading chapter 4, the load zone after percy/cyclops & loading chapter 9 i think it was) where on top of setting all graphic settings to low/off, i also had to lessen the resolution to the unsupported 800x600 (which in itself will crash the game for me unless i'm out at the initial load screen setting options & not in game yet)

crashing with error messages (mm.exe error, memory cannot be read error...) was resolved for me by setting virtual memory to be system managed as opposed to having a set value

still, loading is such a nightmare to have to always exit the game, restart, change all the settings, go through the load zone, save, exit, restart, change settings back (unless i want to keep playing at 800x600 after those 3 load zones, eww!). i'm really hoping that like thief 3 when we found the nod32 problem in common for those who had to wait foreeeeeeeeeeever for loading that we find something here as well (though i have tried everything i can think of at this point). it is too bad because the game is so nice otherwise.

I think the game is fantastic, although I've had to use the lowest possible settings & 800x600 res to get it to run smoothly (sort of). Unfortunately the video/cinematics don't display, I just get a black screen and white lines on the screen (with audio). This is running on a 2.6 GHz P4 with 512 MB Ram and a 128 MB GeForce FX 5200. I've decided to stop playing until I can upgrade my system so I can enjoy the game as it's intended. Anyway, really impressed with the amount of work that's gone into this.

Has some creepy spiders in it.

Add my name to the list of Big Thumbs Up. I'm just starting chapter eight, and it's been an absolute blast so far. It's absolutely linear, the role-playing aspect makes Diablo look complex, but the whole thing somehow manages to work really well. I also got an amazingly strong Ultima Underworld vibe off certain parts of the game (one level in particular), which never hurts. Arkane really nailed this one.

The game is much harder than first person shooters, since it's heavy on melee.

At first, there will not be much stealth techniques, but if you upgrade your stealth skills, parts of the game will play a lot like THief 3

Arkane Studios
    force the people who are crashing, can you try to go to the console and type Mat_force , this will bring the full command name, it should be set to 1 by default, try setting it to 0, and let me know what happens. This should solve some of the crashes, but it should alos improve performance on some hardware.

Arkane Studios
    also, we're trying to nail the crashes, but we can't find a machine that crashes, we would need some help from the crashing machines. Anyone here with a very crashy machine that would be ok for us to send a pick up via DHL so that we can debug, and then we'll return his machine asap ?

I've got a very "crashy" machine -- I can't play this for more than a few minutes without it crashing to desktop, or having to reboot the PC. This is very frustrating for me as I am really not that far into the game. My system is very stable otherwise with other games out at the moment such as Oblivion, Need for Speed Carbon and NWN2 (mentioned because they are all system intensive) to name a few.

As I live in Australia, I don't think that I want to post my system o/s any time soon though. I will try that dev command though and advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Raf View Post
    force the people who are crashing, can you try to go to the console and type Mat_force , this will bring the full command name, it should be set to 1 by default, try setting it to 0, and let me know what happens.
    There are more than a few commands that start with Mat_force. Which one should I be changing?

B.t.w. I've also just got a "failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer" error which I got once or twice some time ago. Googling that error I found that some people have got this when playing HL2. I never got that error playing HL2 on the current hardware myself though.

Arkane Studios
    Twisty,
    Can we debug on your machine via VNC ? if you setup a TightVNC server, we can do it. Please email me : raf@arkane-studios.com
    -Raf

I'd offer to bring it by Arkane, as I only live about 10 minutes away. However I only had two crashes from start to finish and that was most likely from multi tasking operations. I do know someone here in Austin that had problems with Half-Life 2, and I can run my game over there to see if he gets any wierd issues with Dark Messiah.

Quote Originally Posted by Raf View Post
    Twisty,
    Can we debug on your machine via VNC ? if you setup a TightVNC server, we can do it. Please email me : raf@arkane-studios.com
    -Raf
    I'll email my details to you Raf.

Arkane Studios
    Thanks guys.

Bioharzard: yes, if you have a friend who can crash, it's alwasy helpfull.

Twisty: I'll followup on Email.

We're close to find where the problem comes from now.

Arkane Studios
    Biohazard, can you email me please ? I'll send you a file

Is the game like Oblivion? Or is it more Hack and Slash. How's the RPG content in the game?

It's more like crash'n'reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegen View Post
    Is the game like Oblivion? Or is it more Hack and Slash. How's the RPG content in the game?
    I'd say it is more Hack and Slash. The gameplay is totally action oriented and the plot is pretty linear.

But it definately has its RPG type elements:

There are a couple of big choices that influence the story, and directly influence the options you have, gameplay wise.

Also, maxing out in every discipline simply isn't an option, the skill system features more skills than than there are skill upgrade points available. So you do actually shape your character as to what options are available in dealing with the presented situations.

===

The gameplay is fun and solid. And in line with Arkane's previous title the locations are beautiful and ooze atmosphere. featuring the occasional nod to thief and UW.

But if you get the chance: Download the demo, it gives a pretty good indication of the full game experience.
    Last edited by addink; 25th Nov 2006 at 06:46.

Even with as little as I have seen from the game and the demo: It seems that the location "design" is quite similar to that of Arx Fatalis.

There are certain elements of level design that would have looked exactly the same in Arx (modulo better technology of course). And considering that Arx did not have to brightest of stories either, and was a fascinating game nonetheless, I should hope that the same would apply to DM - once it works.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that Dark Messiah is an RPG. It is not, and if you want an RPG and go into it expecting an RPG, I guarantee you'll be disappointed. DM is an action game, pure and simple; see the guys, kill the guys, see more guys, kill more guys. This game is way more Quake than Oblivion. Which isn't to say it's not a fantastic game; it's a blast to play and I loved the crap out of it. The combat is immeasurably superior to Oblivion (which only makes sense, since combat is really all it does), the settings are eye-poppers, and the violence is pretty over-the-top, too.

and if you max out all the combat abilities you become an unstoppable killing machine. I think I breezed through the final chapter in about fifteen minutes with my super badass fighter guy.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    How's the stealth portion of it? Any of you guys try that exclusively?

I just started TDS again, and had forgotton how good the game is despite not being as good as T1 and 2.

I'm finding quite a few things I had missed the first time and the game is actually pretty funny.

Any alternate routes or secrets in the game ala Thief? or is it completely linear?

Thanks
    Yeah, I love all the Thief games, although, I was kind let down by TDS (just because I had such high expectations). But, no game can be as good as the first two Thief games, period (which I can't make work on my new comp! ). Oops. Off-subject.

Yeah, I'm getting Dark Messiah come December 5th (my paycheck!). It looks freaking awesome, and reading all this isn't helping time past faster.

By the way, how does the magic system progress? I mean, are there any Uber-spells?

Also, what about armor? Do you wear the same stuff through the whole game? Same question for weapons.
    Last edited by Eother; 1st Dec 2006 at 02:16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast