TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have any thief traditions?

Do you have any thief traditions?

Christmas 1999, my family bought a new computer. A blazing 466Mhz Celeron with 128MB of RAM, and a super-duper fast NVidia Riva TNT2. w00t. Included with the Sound Blaster Live! was a copy of Thief The Dark Project. And the rest is history. Each Christmas, I dust off one of my old computers, install Thief, and play at least until 'The Sword' mission. I vividly remember playing Thief late one night on Christmas vacation on that level. It was creepy as hell when I was 15...

Do you guys have any Thief traditions like this one, or maybe just fond memories of playing Thief?

Taking the Death Toll
    i tend to play thief around fall. i also have a slowly growing list of (canonical) FMs that i throw in the mix, and i play them in chronological order.

it's a lot easier to play thief at night when it's fall/winter and the days aren't as long...

I don't think I'm alone here. "Autumn In Lampfire Hills" for Halloween.

traditions, and me

Hi folks, I am new to posting so bear with me please!
    as for traditions I can honestly say " I swear ALOT" I love these fan missions and am very glad all you techno/savey folk keep them coming. I have just finished Rowena's Curse and man did I curse. It amazes me how some people have such devious minds, lol thank goodness for walkthru's (which I only use when stuck). this mission took me 5 hrs 11 min I found 6 outa 8 secrets and got $8169 outa 9074 sooooooo hench the swearing and my name.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    And "The Seventh Crystal" for winter. Both truly amazing fan missions. Calendra's Legacy was pretty good for Halloween too, though I've never actively gone to play it around then.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    Christmas 1999, my family bought a new computer. A blazing 466Mhz Celeron with 128MB of RAM, and a super-duper fast NVidia Riva TNT2. w00t. Included with the Sound Blaster Live! was a copy of Thief The Dark Project. And the rest is history. Each Christmas, I dust off one of my old computers, install Thief, and play at least until 'The Sword' mission. I vividly remember playing Thief late one night on Christmas vacation on that level. It was creepy as hell when I was 15...

Do you guys have any Thief traditions like this one, or maybe just fond memories of playing Thief?
    Theres something that tickles me about playing Thief on Christmas...

Thief in the fall or winter, definately. When you have the ability to snuggle your knees to your chest in a wide enough chair, cover yourself in a blanket, turn off all the lights and the sound way up (maybe even headphones). I run my computer's sound through a big sound system and I just surround sound myself as much as I can, which is l33t. Thief is definately one of the best games to play in the dark, completely absorbed.

Every Christmas my wife and I sit down and play A Thief's Holiday by Yandros.

I just love that accoustic version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Not to mention the Christmas atmosphere in general...
    I frob on the first date!

My youtube channel. Songs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Certainly not!

Other than that, I guess the only "tradition" I have is putting on my Thief t-shirt whenever I play

'A Thief's CHRISTMAS' at CHRISTMAS time. Mostly because one of the records plays an awesome Tran-Siberian Orchestra song. Besides, I really love CHRISTMAS, and this one really captures the feeling.

Oops, I said the c-h-r-i-s-t-m-a-s word. I can hear the Feds swooping in now. I guess I'll be back in 8 months.

Also for Christmas be sure to remember "A Servant's Revenge". Though not holiday themed it's got lots of nice snow and a cozy winter feel.

I love playing Thief at night with a mix of rain. I don't know why I love playing it when it's raining out side, but I just do. Oh and I love playing it at night after everyone's asleep. Don't forget about the snow too. It's just plain fun to play a game that has a long history of greatness

The snow-covered Hammerite cathedral on the island in T2X was an excellent winter level. Even though they weren't celebrating anything, that place just seemed like a cozy holiday setting. The Thief world needs some sort of christmas parody to go with their mock-christian religion. Is what A Thief's Holiday is all about?

On a side note from Thief, has anyone here ever played Clive Barker's Undying? The monastery in the past was another really awesome wintry setting. The T2X cathedral reminded me very much of that.

Taking the Death Toll
    yeah, the monastary is a pretty cool addition to an otherwise ultimately disappointing game.

i play 'A Thief's Holiday' by Yandros every winter
    i turn up a nice christmas song, watch the christmastree

heck..i feel like playing that fm right now

are there any new christmasfm's coming this year? i haven't been really up to date in the thief universe lately
    Last edited by agrash; 12th Nov 2006 at 15:13.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope that Yandros comes up with a new version this year--2005 was a cold Christmas without it! Perhaps it could also serve as a template for a small FM contest.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    yeah, the monastary is a pretty cool addition to an otherwise ultimately disappointing game.
    To each his own on that one. I enjoyed the game, the loading in between levels, him trying to open doors were a joke. But, the game had atmosphere, some of it was beautiful. What game is perfect. I like Undying, some have called it a cult classic.

I also fire up the Thief FMs come fall. My family knows that in autumn when the PC room is dark, you enter at your own risk! Great way to spend the evening in the fall/winter months!

I like the steal from, and throw wrenches into the plans of keepers whenever I can. I also tend to vindictively slaughter hammerites because of a particular bad experience with a hammer. . .

Yeah as much as I did with arx fatalis in the most scary places, never play it by night with the speakers on, use the headphones, almost as those horrible sounds could infect my room and plague me in real life.

I did found T1 more scary that Doom3, as I played it in the same period it came out Doom3.

Doom3's brand of scary is more of the "boogie boogie! i'm a monster!" than a cool, stylish, Thief kind of scary. I found Thief scarier too. Heck, I found Half-Life 1 scarier than I find Doom3.

Re: Undying

Yes. I own Undying, and have played a little bit of it. I don't know much about it, but it seems solid. My friend thought it was too scary and had to stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    i tend to play thief around fall. i also have a slowly growing list of (canonical) FMs that i throw in the mix, and i play them in chronological order.

it's a lot easier to play thief at night when it's fall/winter and the days aren't as long...
    I'm interested.... what's your list? What missions do you play in what order?

I agree. I got Doom 3 (for dark mod) and I didn't think it was scary. It was just annoying not being able to see anything.

Garr! Damn zombies.

*I shine the flashlight around and remember where the zombies are*

*I Get out the pistol (putting flashlight away in the process) and shoot into the darkenss at what I think is the general direction of the zombies*

*I Get out the flashlight again (putting the pistol away) to see that I haven't even hit a zombie*

And the cursing ensues.
    I frob on the first date!

My youtube channel. Songs and such.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewer View Post
    I'm interested.... what's your list? What missions do you play in what order?
    Thief: The Dark Project
    Lorgan's Web
    Bloodstone Prison
    Geller's Pride
    Shunned
    Cult of the Resurrection
    The Inverted Manse
    Wickerman
    Mountain Monastary
    Gathering at the Inn
    From Beneath the Sands
    Into The Maelstrom
    Hightowne Museum
    The Cistern
    Breaking and Entering
    The Curse
    Saints and Thieves
    Thief: Shadows of the Metal Age
    Equilibrium
    A Pirate's Downfall
    Thief: The Metal Age
    A Debt Repaid
    The Bridge
    Thief: Deadly Shadows

Hey, thanks- I'll have to do some downloading and give this a go. I haven't played a whole lot of FMs and have been looking for some sort of meaningful way to go about playing them. I realize that it's just your take on it, but it should be fun.
    I've only actually played a couple of the FMs you put in the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast