TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Some tech help please (total freezeups)

Some tech help please (total freezeups)

Where to start?

Well, I get lots of crashes. Quite often of the variety that the screen freezes up, and then the audio starts to

stutter and loop... and my computer becomes totally unresponsive, so I have to hit the reset button. Bad...

It has happened three times when I go in the cell around the Roxey Inn. So I'm wondering, is it a problem with

Oblivion, or a problem with my setup?

I am using a Dell XPS 1210 laptop, with a Geforce GO 7400 card. It runs pretty well, when it isn't crashing! Oh, and Oblivion is patched.

Also, there are some game mechanics issues. For example... why is it that when I wait even for one hour, all my

health is restored? I thought only sleeping for a period would restore health. But I just have to wait one hour, and

I am healed! It makes it too easy for me...

Apart from these two things, it's great. It is just Morrowind with fancy graphics (and my heavily modded copy of Morrowind is still better, in my opinion), but it is a good game!

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Live View Post
    For example... why is it that when I wait even for one hour, all my health is restored? I thought only sleeping for a period would restore health. But I just have to wait one hour, and I am healed! It makes it too easy for me...
    Think of it as being a simulation of how many healing spells you could cast in that time, they're just being automated by the timeskip.

So... is it supposed to be like that then...?! It seems a bit strange that I can have a quick rest in the middle of Anvil town square and WHOA, suddenly all my battle wounds have been miraculously healed!

Odd...

And I just had another crash. Did I mention that it ALSO deletes my quicksave file? And this time, I had JUST finished the first Grey Fox mission to the Moth Temple, and it crashed, and my save was lost. My last back up save was before going to see Grey Fox... annoying is not the word...

Any ideas on why?

Thanks.

Does it by any chance crash just after you autosave? My game does that and corrupts the save file.

is Best Pony
    Computer specs plz kthnks

Computer specs:

Dell XPS M1210 (laptop)
    Dual core Intel Centrino 2Ghz (x2, although Oblivion only uses one, I think)
    1GB DDR RAM
    256MB Geforce Go 7600

As many of the latest drivers as possible, I guess...

I don't know if it does it near when I quicksave... but I started making a backup save after it did it the first time and wiped out my character with about ten hours of play...

Quote Originally Posted by Live View Post
    Also, there are some game mechanics issues. For example... why is it that when I wait even for one hour, all my health is restored? I thought only sleeping for a period would restore health. But I just have to wait one hour, and I am healed! It makes it too easy for me
    Its pretty much for characters who don't have restoration magic, restoration magic is still very usefull because you can cast it anywhere and cast it in combat while you can only wait away from enemies. Its pretty much just like MW where you could sleep anywhere to restore your health, but no one used inns in MW so they made you require a bed to level up. Just think of waiting as sleeping/eating/healing.