TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

True. Tully did warn John about her actions in the previous season.

...Wait, when did Dany ever not try to solve a problem by burning things? (And I'm not sure I even need the word "try" in there, all things considered she's been pretty darn successful with it.)

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    It's been longer than that. She's been threatening to burn down towns if she doesn't get her way since season 2.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Wait, who's Tully? I assume you aren't talking about House Tully. Do you mean Sam?

Chakat sex pillow
    Gilly, I assume. He's probably conflated her with Tilly from ST: D (they're kinda similar, I guess?), or someone named Sully.

I was referring to Samwell Tarly. Always sounded like "House Tully" to me. I'd just not bothered to look up the spelling.

He warned John, after discovering the fate of his father and brother.

Chakat sex pillow

Anyway, Dany's at least had some logical/moral (if ultimately poorly thought through) reasoning for her flame-outs in the past. This one, I can see what they were trying for (betrayed by fate and love, undermined by her family history and her own poor choices, goaded by loss and jealousy), but it's been haphazardly executed in the broadest possible strokes without any actual introspection serving to bring the conflict within her character into relief.

Somewhere, somewhen, someone forgot: even on TV it is always the smallest moments that lend the largest ones their power.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th May 2019 at 03:00.

I've watched ep5 now.
    I'll give my general impression.

It reminds me in high school we'd read these ancient epics, and while it had heroics and action, they were more reciting the heroics than actually visualizing them and it was all buried in dense poetics and obscure practices. So you had to decipher what was going on... And I remember just making these lists of plot points, just to get a handle on the story, and thinking after struggling for pages through particularly dense passages where my patience is at its limit to dig deeper, ok, well whatever. That's enough. That passage checks that plot point. This is where the story is now. Moving on.

For this episode I'd say 1/3 of it was sincerely memorable / touching / or satisfying scenes that meant something in the context of the whole, and the remaining 2/3 was, ok, well whatever. That checks that plot box. So this is where we are now. Moving on.

Oh wow, high school? Did they force you to read Beowulf or something?

I didn't start reading that kind of stuff until I was well into my first year of uni as an English major.

Nah I really meant college (it's been a long time!), but it wasn't important enough to get the "Last edited by" loser mark slapped at the end of my post.

I feel like they've spent all their effort on cinematography in this last season, to the detriment of everything else.

They even made all the episodes an extra 20 minutes long, and then stuffed most of that extra screen time with overly-long cinematic scenes rather than anything actually useful that helps to develop characters or plot points.

The battle of Winterfell is probably the biggest example of this - they spent so much time making it look nice that they never even stopped to think how ridiculous all of the tactics were (let's put our entire army and siege weapons outside the castle and let them get killed first, rather than actually using our walls!), then spend huge amount of time with long, lingering shots of the devastation. It's bad when I'm wondering when the episode will be over because they've dragged out those scenes for so long that I'm getting bored, when they could have spent that time showing something more interesting and plot-advancing.

The rest of it follows the same trend. The basic plot points mostly make sense, but they lack the context to make them believable, and then they rush through them to make more time for fancy visuals.

Yeah, it's amazing how boring Gilgamesh can be for being one of the most important texts of human history. Kind of makes you wish there was less of it preserved. Just joking of course.

We did have a lot of fun with Iliad though, as a good portion of it was spent on discussing the Greek society and stuff like the (un)manliness of Hector (who is supposed to be the greatest warrior in the war).

Anyway, having the latest plot point "spoiled" for me, it looks like I was right about the series taking a turn towards becoming a poor fanfiction. Kind of sounds like the recent idea of adapting the Lord of the Rings as a revenge story -- it might even be entertaining, but it misses the whole point of the books and the characters in it.

As we barrel into the last episode, this is the meme about this season (the last 3 really) that's been speaking to me recently.

I don't have very high hopes, but I'm curious what they consider wrapping this whole thing up at this point.
    We've come a long way in just the last three episodes!

If I'm optimistic about anything, it's that the story will still be wrapped up well by the books.
    Even in the truncated version we're seeing now, I can see the promise of the story told the right way.
    (And I think if GRRM can't finish it off, he's taken steps to ensure that somebody will.)

Oh, I have my issues with the Breaking Bad ending. Mainly I thought that the penultimate episode would have made for a better, braver, more coherent ending. I don't hate the finale we got, it's an enjoyable hour of TV, but I am kinda disappointed by it.

I didn't take this meme to be about the last episode, but about the entire last season or few seasons, when a great show just derails and can't recover. (Actually The Office might be in the right-hand column due to the flailing episodes after Steve Carrel's departure, but the Sporanos still deserves to be on the left-hand side despite the lackluster finale.)

Oh, I will defend the Sopranos finale to my death. That last scene is perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

Well as long as we're playing this game, I'd agree. I got on the HBO IRC-style feed right when it ended and I still clearly remember Martin Scorsese's defense of it just buried in there like he was any other fan, and I thought the way he captured its significance was exactly right. He said it was like a literal door closing into a private life of a family that we had the privilege of looking into for a while, and it'll continue as it always has.

But in the respect of my point in my last post, one should still grant it was an unpopular and widely slammed finale. But even with an unpopular finale it deserves to be on the left-hand side... Actually I'll leave the Office on that side too. It's not really the quality of last season per se that separates the categories.... It's that the left-hand shows stand as great shows all the way through. The ones on the right hand side derail in a way that sucks the life out of the previous great seasons ... I guess by tarnishing the glitter of whatever Emerald Palace we thought it was going to and finding out it was just going to some gaudy strip mall all along. That's how GOT fits in with those other right-hand examples I think.

The Office went really bad after Carrell left as Dema mentions.

This pretty much seems to be going up at a signature per second - should hit 1,000,000 soon. https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-...petent-writers

I haven't bothered to watch this yet since the previous 4 seasons sucked so bad (and based on the reception, I probably won't), but I really wish people cared this much about... you know... things that actually matter?

https://entertainment.theonion.com/g...hq3AtOqsWBYnAg
    Last edited by froghawk; 17th May 2019 at 12:55.

Petitions on more important topics have got far more signatures than that, in much less time ... and been promptly ignored, of course.

HBO should release all the raw footage from season 8 and let fans edit their own episodes.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    HBO should release all the raw footage from season 8 and let fans edit their own episodes.
    Here is an example of what someone could do, it they put in a little effort.
    It's just a new dialog for Jaime's trial in Winterfell. Just subtitles. No voice acting of course.
    I loved it. It has much more depth than the Transformer-scenes of GoT season 8.
    It talks about the swords. It talks about Targ and Lannister's incesteous relations. It makes everyone in the scene look like a real person. They accuse and defend themselves based on events that happened in the story. (Not just based on emotions the actors speak out loud, in stead of showing).

It makes me sad to realize what the show could have been.

Jaime's trial written properly (on r/freefolk).
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 18th May 2019 at 10:28.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, it's over. Functionally, it's a fine ending. In affording everyone who deserves it enough care and depth: ugh.

PLOT TWIST

In this entire saga of chopped-up script decisions the only well-written character was Drogon.

El Shagmeister
    I enjoyed it.

G'day.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast