TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

I'm almost excited by the casting and directing news, but then I remember what a horrendous pile of shit the books are and I'm right back to not caring.

Quote Originally Posted by MsLedd View Post
    It's too bad Brian Blessed is a bit too old now
    Have you seen him lately? He seems poised to live forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1gwVIhJ8II

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I'm almost excited by the casting and directing news, but then I remember what a horrendous pile of shit the books are and I'm right back to not caring.
    I'll have to remember I should only stick to your film and TV recommendations then, sir!

I stopped reading Ledd's wishlist at The Rock

Taking a break
    You mean Fire and Ice?

That's it, I want a divorce

is Best Pony
    Wait, they're filming this in Belfast? Bloody hell, wonder if they're looking for extras.

As worthless as books four and five are (judging the latter by its never-a-good-sign protracted birthing pains), in the hands of a talented (and ruthless) team the series as a whole could adapt into excellent television.

Let's face it, one KFC bucket too many and a series finale assembled posthumously from notes is probably the only hope aSoIaF has of escaping its current downward spiral into bloated self-parody.

Somewhere in the middle of A Feast for Crows, I got the idea that Martin just really fucking hated the story.

A Feast For Crows is a really good book

Fire and blood

I assume you mean A Dance with Dragons.
    Because thats been out for ages.

Hasnt it??

TTLG Server Goddess
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I stopped reading Ledd's wishlist at The Rock
    Now see.. as a rule, I am actually quite turned off by the whole pumped-up/slicked/body-builder/wrestler/mega macho man type

But the Rock... oh my GOD. Now that's eye candy! I dunno, he's just soooo [censored]

*MsLedd excuses herself to find clean panties*

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
    Somewhere in the middle of A Feast for Crows, I got the idea that Martin just really fucking hated the story.
    I felt that way about a quarter of the way through Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    As worthless as books four and five are (judging the latter by its never-a-good-sign protracted birthing pains), in the hands of a talented (and ruthless) team the series as a whole could adapt into excellent television.
    The structure of Game of Thrones could probably be changed enough to make the central mystery actually a mystery, but they've still got the problem of all the characters being too hateful and petty for anyone to give a shit about.

That's just wrong. Characters do not need to be sympathetic or inherently likable in order for a story to be compelling.

Taking a break
    In before four pages on whether the characters are part of the story or the other way around.

Or maybe they're separate entities?

Faf I'm just putting it out there but over 15 years or however long we've been mates I've never disagreed so vehemently with your beautiful head

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    That's just wrong. Characters do not need to be sympathetic or inherently likable in order for a story to be compelling.
    Yeah, but then the story has to be compelling. By the end of the second book my hatred for the characters so massively outweighed any interest that I had in the world Martin was building that I just couldn't go on. Reading wikipedia, it looks like many of them die horrible deaths (though apparently not Sansa, so points lost for that), but schadenfreude doesn't keep me entertained for an additional 5000 pages.

I realize that I'm practically alone in my distaste for aSoIaF as a whole (as opposed to just the last two books), but much like BioShock it's something that the geek community at large has declared great and I just can't see it, and my hatred burns so hot and runs so deep that I must shout it from whatever perch of the internet that I can.

Taking the Death Toll
    I'm the same way with Joss Whedon. Hailed as the 2nd Coming of Geek Christ yet I think he's an overrated hack who needs to take a writing course.

It would, however, take a brave man to insinuate that Martin can't write. My BEEF with Faf has just shriveled to slight disappointment that he couldn't enjoy the plotline

And now there will be video games too.

My brother just gave me the first book to read after he heard the news, so I'm about 50 pages in...

Just wait. The hook is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygoptera View Post
    And now there will be video games too.
    Pfft, Westeros Total War for the win

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Hmm. Not all, but for me at least some of them do. If I can't sympathise with them I either dislike them too much, or don't care enough, to put in the effort to finish a book.

Okay, that's fine, I mean I've read entire stories/watched movies where the majority of the characters were detestable but what happened to them was intriguing. Anyway, I disagree that all the characters in ASoIaF are unlikeable anyway.

Ned

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast