TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

Sourpuss Gangsta
    ded

DAMN YOU PAGE 3!!!

I actually think that one of Martin's strengths as a writer is his ability to inject sympathy and depth into otherwise villainous characters, which is one of the reasons why his portrayal of Cersei's cartoonish descent in book four is so unforgivable.

Bollocks, I say, bollocks.

She was never the most stable of people and the fact that she sees the prophecy of her children dying coming true before her eyes - the children that she would do ANYTHING for - justifies, to her, all her crazy actions. If anything, despite being increasingly stupid and naive, her only-now revealed motives have made her actions more understandable and sympathetic.
    Last edited by D'Juhn Keep; 13th May 2009 at 12:56.

Right.

...dethtoll?

It was either that or belittle your post with a similarly-worded defense of Asher Roth's "I Love College," so consider your ass lucky.

They censor the word "weed" on MTV2

excellent hustle, chaps

haha

But yeah, it's pretty clear that Iggs and I share no middle ground on this one, and as such nothing good can come from further debating book four's merits. As such, retreating amidst the cover of snark seemed like the best available option.

I find it helps to just remember Cersei as the brother-hungry lusty whore she always will be in my heart

Didn't book 4 give us the "myrish swamp" line regarding Cersei's sapphic dalliances? It's worth its weight alone for that.

In a somewhat surprising chain of events, I recently got bored with Stephen King's The Stand and decided to plow through A Game Of Thrones for the third time.

I couldnt make it halfway through it; dont know if its because I know the story so well or just familiar with the "twists" or whatever but it didnt hold me. Thats not to say I still dont rate GRRM as one of my all-time favourite writers but it was strange that I couldnt make it all the way through the first book.

Anyway, when the hell is Dance with Dragons released? Can we expect it before this show is out?

No. No you damn well can't.

TTLG Server Goddess
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    I recently got bored with Stephen King's The Stand
    How is this even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MsLedd View Post
    How is this even possible?
    King was at the height of his career at that time (IMHO), and as such, wrote a loquacious hand-job of a love letter to his fans.

As far as my circle of friends is concerned, it is about 50/50 like/dislike. Same with 'It'. Possibly due to the length of those 2, but who knows.

TTLG Server Goddess
    Gone, but not forgotten

I really liked "IT"... scared the crap outta me and had me fully immersed until the "revelation"... the oh-my-god-you-did-not! That killed it for me.

King even goes into great detail in his own book about the horror genre: "Danse Macabre" about the worst mistakes horror writers can make, he violated his own cardinal rule in "IT" a 50 foot fucking SPIDER?!? give me a break! He even tries (in vain) to cover his crime with some lame addition of "at least that was the closest thing our minds were able to compare it to" WEAK!!

Anyway... The Stand is a different thing entirely, it's a masterpiece of fully developed, intricately intertwined plots and fascinating characters.... yeah, it's a HUGE-ASS book, but every bit of it is worth the read. (course that's just my opinion)

Sourpuss Gangsta

Does Sean Bean EVER live through a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
    Sean Bean has nabbed the lead in "Game of Thrones," HBO's adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series. Tom McCarthy is directing; David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who wrote the screenplay, are executive producing.

Mark Addy is in final negotiations to also join the production. Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd also have come aboard.

The books revolves around a battle among seven kingdoms and between two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne, the possession that ensures survival through a 40-year winter to come.

Bean will play Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, known for his sense of honor and justice, who becomes closest adviser to King Robert (Addy).

Harrington will play Jon Snow, Bean's bastard son, and Lloyd will play Viserys, a powerless ruler who seeks to marry off his sister to a powerful king. Gleeson will play Joffrey, King Robert's son.

Peter Dinklage also is in the cast for the production, which is in the pilot stage and begins shooting in October in Ireland.

Guymon Casady, Carolyn Strauss, Vincent Gerardis and Martin also are executive producing.

"Thrones" marks the latest fantasy epic-style production for Bean. He recently wrapped shooting on "Percy Jackson & the Olympians," an adaptation of Rick Riordan's children's book. Bean, repped by CAA, also has "Black Death," a supernatural thriller set during England's first bubonic plague, in postproduction.
    *queue fangirl squeeing*
    Last edited by oudeis; 21st Jul 2009 at 10:11. Reason: rewrite

I wanted Joe Jonas

God bless HBO; I think the collective nerd world are going to orgasm once set photos and production stills start emerging from this.

Not sure how they're going to do it though considering GRRM seems like he's never ever going to finish the damn story.

Speaking of an earlier comment I made about The Stand - ive gone back to it and am actually enjoying it now. Well, not "enjoying" per se; its fucking scary stuff. I think the problem with my earlier attempt was I had an impression in my mind of what the book was about (end of the world) and when that doesnt happen for 10 or so chapters it bored me. However going back its got to the bit now where the whole world is coming apart with the army in control etc and its fascinating and brilliant writing.

Soooooooo yeah...oh and who the hell is Kit Harrington??

IT IS A GIFT

edit: Mark Addy is a fucking TERRIBLE choice

Look Brian Blessed was never going to do it just deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    Speaking of an earlier comment I made about The Stand - ive gone back to it and am actually enjoying it now.

I thought the Stand was about 2 thirds too long. I found everything after everyone died really dull. If it had ended once the flu ended, it would have been a tight little horror story about how easily everything we know could be destroyed. Instead he then waffles on for another 2 books-worth of pseudo-religious tomfoolery.

I remember the most horrifying bit of it for me was a scene where someone is watching TV and a bunch of anarchists burst into the TV station and slaughter everyone, and the person watching basically just thinks that the effects are really good but there's too much violence on TV these days.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Juhn Keep View Post
    Look Brian Blessed was never going to do it just deal with it

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA FUCK FOFF

Taking the Death Toll
    Suddenly I realize the purpouse of my 23" monitor is to read posts by Scots Taffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    edit: Mark Addy is a fucking TERRIBLE choice
    He certainly doesn't have the "virile hunk gone to seed" aspect down.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast