TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

Still Subjective
    I'm sure I'm supposed to read this at some point. Where will I find the time?

When the fat dude finds the time to finish them.

Little girl with big eyes and big sword is creepy O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Starrfall View Post
    Martin's blog shows that he's very involved in casting, so my guess is that they'll be altering the actors to match unless he's decided he doesn't care, which would be a bit odd (especially since coloring and lineage are part of the mystery that makes up one of the first major plotlines)
    Considering his primary criteria for the female casting seems to be their ability to give him wood, I don't think he really gives a shit about any of the male casting.

now thats a primary criteria I can get down with!

Or get up with?

oho scots you dog!

Is there any update as to when this series starts, pilot date, etc.? Can't ever seem to get a clear answer on this one.

HOW CAN IT POSSIBLY HAVE TAKEN TEN MINUTES TO FIND THIS THREAD

Exclusive!!!!1 first look!!! by Entertainment Weekly.

I'm not super wowed by any of these stills, although I don't think they're bad (lolsin at Jon's pubestache though).

edit: oh wait it's because I thought scots started it, not stitch, goddamnit

Never read this series, but I'm willing to watch anything with either Sean Bean or Gary Oldman in it.

"Peter Dinklage's Tyrion Lannister, known as the Imp, is constantly getting into trouble because of his marauding ways."

"New scabbards on back order? No leather left in the county?! Did you really need new vestments, Corpulous?"

That Tyrion. What a little scamp!

Still Subjective
    Oh bollocks, Sean Bean and swords? I'm going to have to watch this aren't I?

Wait it has a character called Daenerys Targaryen? Hahahahahah wtf? When did he start writing these again?

ok im still watching

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    When did he start writing these again?
    he didn't

Still Subjective
    One rather thinks that you've misunderstood ones use of the word "again". I see from wikipedia that the first novel was published in 1996 so I'll have a stab at early '90s. Perhaps one can forgive the awful cliche of names with too many vowels, xs, ys and syllables then, but only just.

I think you've misunderstood Iggles' joke, based on how it's been about five years since the last book in the series, and how the next book and the previous book were originally supposed to be one book.

Also: The books are terrible.

Only the last one was out and out shit.

Also:

"When did he start writing these again?"

Idiosyncratic. The beauty of the English language.

Multiple meanings:
    - When did he resume writing the books in this series? (Iggles' reading of the statement and his response)
    - In what year/How many years ago were these books written? (Subjective Effect's intent of the statement)

In the latter the "again" is merely a colloquialism, not an indication of "resuming a prior activity".

When did he start writing these again? = When did he recommence writing the series, for example releasing a new book after a lengthy hiatus

When did he start writing these, again? = Could you once again state when he began writing the series

That ought to kill the joke well and truly.

P.S. Faf, can we have some reasons for your personal dislike of books which are pretty much objectively in the top tier of fantasy novels ever written

THAT COMMA IS IMPLIED DAMN YOU

IMPLIED

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    P.S. Faf, can we have some reasons for your personal dislike of books which are pretty much objectively in the top tier of fantasy novels ever written
    I think I've been pretty clear on this earlier in the thread.

One of the things that bothers me most about ASoIaF fandom: Without fail everyone will say George R.R. Martin is a great writer, and Robert Jordan is/was shit, but as far as their actual prose they're exactly the fucking same. (Wheel of Time) - (Overt References to Magic) + (Overt Fucking, more overtly idiotic characters (especially the women)) = ASoIaF. It's genuinely fucking baffling to me. And Jordan could at least drop a new book every two years or so.

[edit]The better comparison is between Melanie Rawn's 'Sunrunner' books and ASoIaF, anyway, given the focus on inter-/intra-Kingdom politics, lineages, and economies. And again the edge goes to Rawn, since it was a six books and done saga (two trilogies covering different events) populated with decidedly more realistically written characters, and she got the whole thing done over the course of about 10 years.
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 26th Nov 2010 at 05:09.

Still Subjective
    Oh, I got the joke, I just though he'd mixed it in with a truth.

Ah, I see. Other authors may have done the same sagas in a faster timeframe and more cleanly, but I don't consider that to make his work "terrible"

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    One rather thinks that you've misunderstood ones use of the word "again".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Iggles' joke, based on how it's been about five years since the last book in the series, and how the next book and the previous book were originally supposed to be one book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Multiple meanings:
    - When did he resume writing the books in this series? (Iggles' reading of the statement and his response)
    - In what year/How many years ago were these books written? (Subjective Effect's intent of the statement)

In the latter the "again" is merely a colloquialism, not an indication of "resuming a prior activity".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That ought to kill the joke well and truly.
    THANKS GUYS

Quote Originally Posted by D'Juhn Keep View Post
    THANKS GUYS

Don't take it personally, many TTLG-ers got picked on in high school and are still venting their anger.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast