TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

Yeah - almost like West Wing in Westeros. And the Dothraki storyline starts out horrible and ends up being the most kick-ass thing in the whole series - let it percolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I can see that there are a lot of unlikeable characters already and lots that will do unreasonable/bastard things in order to appease others/keep face.
    To quote Bachman Turner Overdrive, you ain't seen n-n-n-nothing yet.

A Dance With Dragons is...... finished
    Last edited by D'Juhn Keep; 29th Apr 2011 at 09:55.

Time to start re-reading

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Time to start re-reading
    I've tried to start reading again but it is damn hard to break back into these books for some reason. I'm finding the HBO series does an decent job of refreshing my memory, although GoT has always remained pretty fresh I guess.

No views on ep 3?

How quickly the excitement dissipates... you fickle bunch.

Still Subjective
    I'm still enjoying it and I'm still impressed by the production values. During the first episode I didn't know what to make of anyone, during the second I developed a dislike of several characters and with this third one I'm not sure if I dislike them anymore or just find them... stupid and unreasonable.

The Lannisters seem to just be a bunch of antagonistic idiots (except Tyrion who is the aces) and I'm not feeling the motivation. I can almost forgive it because I'm thinking that they just aren't that clever and so are actually in this self destructive circlejerk out of ignorance. It's not like the characters in The Wire who despite being a bunch of cads are actually quite savvy and with reasonable motivation given their life choices.

I'm liking were the Daenerys storyline is going, although they keep showing the dragons eggs so, err, yeah I'm guess they are going to hatch at some point.. I'm guessing she really comes into her own later on because it's setting her up to become quite badass.

So yeah, looking forward to the rest of it and atm I'm glad that a second season has been agreed on. How it could be in doubt when crud like V is ongoing I don't know.

i am really liking it so far, have not read the books but i love anything medieval, bout the 3rd
    episode wish the old lady would've finished her story on the walkers. i somehow pictured dire wolfs
    fighting the walkers huge spiders, anyways IMO sir stark will not last to long as the kings hand
    those banisters are ruthless he will meet his demise soon.

SE have you read the books?

Bannisters! lol! You wouldn't like Lord Bannister when he's angry!

One of the problems that folks may have with the story is that it heavily deconstructs high fantasy. Therefore, in a lot of places where you expect characters to act like characters, they act like realistically irrational people who do amazingly stupid things for reasons that seem good to them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Bannisters! lol!
    Q: What's the difference between the stairs in Kingsport and those in other cities?
    A: In Kingsport the bannisters slide down each other.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

What I find most impressive sofar after 3 episodes is that they are managing to juggle three epic and very detailed and involved storylines (ie: The Wall/Kings Landing/Dany) into a 57min slot, while still keeping it engaging and interesting.

You could quite easily make a 10-episode show based solely on the events at Kings Landing.

Conclusion: the next episode should really ramp things up as we get towards King Robert's death.

Oh and looking forward to see who they have play Gregor Clegane...

Still Subjective
    No I haven't read the books Scots.

Thanks for that massive spoiler fonz and ttlg mobile no spoiler tags crap.

I have seen the first two episodes, and so far they have been pretty good. Bran's direwolf killing the assassin looked slightly comical when it did a massive leap for the throat, needed a bit more momentum to look good I think. Otherwise its been pretty good I haven't read past the slave market in Ghis yet though in the books. That scene should be amazing on TV, if they make that many series.
    Last edited by d0om; 5th May 2011 at 07:43.

Still Subjective
    This show is starting to irritate me now. Irritating that I only get to watch one episode a week that is! Dammnit, this is what I've been after. It's not perfect by any means but it's over far too fast for my liking - do want more. I don't know how long it can last but the longer the better imho. It does seem quite slow moving but I get the impression it needs that. And it's definitely keeping me going whilst I wait for new True Blood and, of course, Breaking Bad (which is my current fav).

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I don't know how long it can last but the longer the better imho.
    Have you seen the size of the books? All they'd have to do is stop cutting things out for the script and they could keep going until 2023.

The end of the latest episode is a scene that I've been waiting for. It did not disappoint. "I got yer crown right here."

At the rate they're going, it'd be 10 episodes a book, 1 book a season.

I just got to see the 1st episode because I guess HBO had some kind of promotion where it was open to basic cable that weekend. Haven't seen another episode since. But my brother is a huge fantasy fan and said he wants to buy the DVD set eventually, so I'll be borrowing that & watch it from that.

Episode 7 = WIN.

The Dothraki story has really taken off and things are heating up in Kings Landing FINALLY.

Still Subjective
    You're the 2nd person to mention ep7 to me. It hasn't aired yet so I'm assuming this is some leak, which can't be good for the show.

Moderator and Priest
    No. It's nothing too bad. HBO, in an effort to draw some attention to their new HBO Go streaming service, are airing episode 7 a week in advance.

I'm hoping this isn't just a one time thing. If it is, then that means I'm gonna have to wait nearly TWO. DAMN. WEEKS. to see what happens next.

Teh Olde Wronge thread post at 5-6AM.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by Martin Karne; 26th May 2011 at 12:48.

The only thing disappointing about the series so far has been that they don't show much of the scenery, camera work is all tightly focused on the people. You sometimes get a quick glimpse when they're establishing a new scene, but I think they've missed a lot of opportunities to showcase the epicness that is the Song of Ice and Fire world, and to give it as much depth as it has in the books. I'd love to hear the thoughts of people who never read the books at all.

Also, seeing that Dragons is done combined with the show reminding me just how much of the series has faded from memory is very upsetting. I'm going to be completely lost with no time to refresh

Budgetary expenses reign supreme in this regard, I would imagine. Particularly given the size of the cast and some of the players involved.

Also, why do expensive CG-driven vistas of the beautiful Westeros when you can just throw two girls fingerbanging onscreen instead?
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 27th Jun 2011 at 08:45.

Caved and watched 3 episodes of this.

Gotta say the only scene that's stood out for me so far was the finale of episode 3 with Syrio and Arya. That scene just came alive and played out almost better than it did on page, particularly with the addition (at least, it felt new) of Ned hearing the swords and death screams and roar of battle over their playfighting. Utterly amazing scene.

If only I could say the same for the rest, which varies between competently executed to misfired completely, it never feels inspired. I reckon Jaime and The Hound, two of the most detestable characters of the first two books, are entirely too soft in the TV portrayal. I don't want to empathise with the Kingslayer... yet. That was what made Jaime's characterisation in books 3 and beyond so great, was learning this depth to a character we have disliked so far, whereas we're sacrificing fleshing out Ned and Robert and the history there (without which, lets face it, none of the rest would matter) to foretell elements that come into play later.

Serious misfire, I reckon. Plus Petyr is over the top, and I've only seen him in one episode. I doubt subtlety is going to rise later from what I've been hearing lately, so another black mark against it.

Good production values for the most part though.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 3rd Jun 2011 at 08:26.

An entire season and no comments? No debates raging about which characterisations they screwed and which they nailed? How did the actors do? The CG Dragons? The fingerbanging?

I'll do up a critique soon but SEVEN HELLS PEOPLE, contribute.

Various thoughts at random:

Peter Dinklage, all by himself, is reason enough to watch this show. I'll be surprised if he doesn't at least get a nomination for an Emmy.

They cut large swaths of non-essential material out of the story to make the script, but they did a good job of it.

If Roz (a new character) is in a scene (usually naked), it means that they needed to do some exposition to fill in the bits of essential information that got cut.

The show needed a lot more extras. Scenes that should have had huge crowds only had about 30 people. Kingsport seemed more like a medium village than the capital city of an entire continent.

The post production annoyed me somewhat. They felt a need to apply a slight tint to various scenes, and it frequently distracted me.

I really did not need to see Pycelle doing squats in a flimsy nightshirt while backlit.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast