TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

Engage nerd frenzy: HBO does Ice and fire

First Preacher, now this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire and Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes.
    The uninspired and dull nature of A Feast for Crows has left my enthusiasm for this property at an all time low, but I've often thought that the story was more suited towards the medium of television, anyway, so this could wind up being fantastic.

Go go casting speculations!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

This is pleasing news -_-

I'd like a cast of unknowns and no fickle cancellation before series 4, please!

[edit] Oh yeah, and a dvd release so I can actually watch it over here before 2018.

Wait, what's this about Preacher?

Looking forward to this. I kind of got distracted half-way through the second book. This'll give me an incentive to get through the rest of the series.

JESUS FUCK OH MY UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNFFFFFFFFF

but to put in perspective:

Quote Originally Posted by GRRM's Partner
    Please remember folks, this is just an option. HBO has not 'greenlighted' pre-production, let alone hired directors, paid for the scripts to be written, set a production schedule or put it into their programming. At the least, I don't think we'll see AGoT until 2009, more likely 2010.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 17th Jan 2007 at 20:03.

I never thought I'd say this, but I really hope they don't stray from the books

A few people raised concerns like "will they have Dany, a child, getting fucked by a primitive warrior and brother sister copulation?" to which an obvious response is "this is a network that had a show where a woman gave her friend a naked big-dicked slave as a gift", I doubt they'll shy away from the controversial and illicit angles of the books.

Personally though, I think HBO (if they adapt it) will definitely age most of the child-characters for several reasons, the main being that it's harder to have the children age only a single year between seasons and that much of the explicit adult content would be better suited to teenage/young adult actors.

As for casting predictions, fuck that, HBO has a stellar history of selecting an amazing mix of unknown but raw talents, old hands (usually completely out of character - see McShane as Swearengen), and solid supporting actors. Rarely have they mistepped in casting, if ever. I simply couldn't imagine who they'll come up with but I doubt it'll be anything other than excellent - I would like to see them recycle a couple of great actors from their defunct shows, but they have a tendency to only recycle supporting actors and even then only occasionally.

Actors I'd love to see making an appearance are old hands like Joe Pantaliano from The Sopranos (I just had a weird craving to see him as Tyrion?), Peter Krauss (Renly?) and James Cromwell (Stannis? No, too old, maybe the other one I can't recall at the moment... The Iron King, but that's seasons away) from Six Feet Under, and maybe one or two faces from Deadwood such as Molly Parker (she'd make a good Catelyn, I figure)...
    I just went and did a casting prediction, didn't I? Fuck.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 17th Jan 2007 at 22:54.

I don't want to be a drama queen or anything but if they do this and it sucks I will throw SUCH a hissy fit.

Awesome awesome news though, especially since the series would be hopeless as a set of movies because there's just too much stuff. TV is the only way to do it, and HBO is probably a good bet for doing it right.

Predicting Andy Serkis as the dragons.

I don't know - if any series deserves to be brought to the screen (large or small) it is surely this one. I've always thought that the books were too dense to take in all the details - something done much more easily with the camera, provided they don't cram an entire book into a single episode or something stupid like that.

Moderator and Priest
    Sounds nice and all, but I want Carnivale back.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but I really hope they don't stray from the books
    hahahahahahahahahahhaahahah
    What a time you chose to be born Shug
    I'll see you at the next futile online petition

It was SUPPOSED TO BE A MOVIE

Everyone check this:

LA LA LAND
    LA LA LA LA LET'S ALL STROKE TREES
    TREES ARE IN NATURE AND SHIT
    you dumbasses

I really cant see them putting out Preacher without wimping it down to the point of craptitude. Quite apart from Herr Starr's incredible use of totally OTT swearing, how is inbred descendents of Jesus flinging their own shit at people going to do down in the USA? How about
    spoiler:
    A wimpering Almighty getting shot in the face by a giant john wayne-alike
    ? I love Preacher to pieces, but I don't think you could ever make it work as a TV show unless you really didn't care how many people you deeply offended.

I kind of mean to read the first book, but I just didn't see myself getting through it, given how slow of a reader I am (I still sub-vocalize).

Quote Originally Posted by Para?noid View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahhaahahah
    What a time you chose to be born Shug
    I'll see you at the next futile online petition

It was SUPPOSED TO BE A MOVIE

Everyone check this:

LA LA LAND
    LA LA LA LA LET'S ALL STROKE TREES
    TREES ARE IN NATURE AND SHIT
    you dumbasses
    hi there what is going on

I think hes mad because he doesn't have enough houseplants lets buy him a fern

BANNED
    I have no idea where that came from it makes no sense??? stupid drink

SOIAF is a great idea and it can be achieved but the books are still in writing and they will run out of money as the ratings begin to plummet in Season 2 / 3.

yes a fern please!!
    Dicksonia antarctica would be ideal, starrfall you are a joy

woh back off dude she's married

BANNED
    i'll marry you in a minute

oh hells yes

Unless it sucks

PS. aFfC was good

babababaBUMPah

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Go go casting speculations!
    Go go casting confirmations!

Spoiler: some short midget dude is playing Tyrion

Hm. I've only seen him in Death at a Funeral in which he was a gay blackmailing dwarf played for obvious laughs, but I've heard good things about The Station Agent and not managed to come across it yet on DVD.

I also heard that they are filming in Ireland, so expect the vistas of Braveheart etc to appear in this.

Off to a good start, hopefully.

TTLG Server Goddess
    Gone, but not forgotten

Okay, just a bit of my fangrrl casting wish list:

Khal Drogo = Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson
    Daenerys = Scarlett Johansson
    Tyrion = Warwick Davis (so obvious, yet so perfect)
    Catelyn = Kate Walsh
    Arya = Ellen Page
    Sandor Clegane = Danny Trejo

It's too bad Brian Blessed is a bit too old now, cuz... damn. Is this Robert Baratheon, or what?

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast