TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammerite Mission Development Kit (HMDK) Preview

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Hammerite Mission Development Kit (HMDK) Preview

I'm in the process of developing an MDK with all the Hammer resources I can pull together, including a gamesys you can start a mission from that has archetypes set up for everything. I'm going to make sure not to overwrite/replace any Mech models, textures or archetypes in case someone wants to use this to make a big Mech vs. Hammer battle mission or something like that.

Why am I doing this?
    • I love the Hammers, they're my favorite faction.
    • The Hammer support in native T2 is limited to one or two meshes, one voice set and a few objects.
    • I'd like to see more Hammer FMs before T2 use declines over the next few years.

What is planned?
    • Lots of new AI skins (see below) so all the hammers don't look like clones
    • Full male voices from T1 and T3 so there are 6-7 total
    • New schemas to support the voices, plus new female hammer voice schemas which will use the mech and guard female voices, stripping out all sounds which refer to Karras
    • New objects like books, scrolls and book art, improved banners, hammer icons
    • New textures, like windows, doors, artwork
    • Gamesys built off dark.gam plus a preview mission

Current Mesh Gallery
    I have 55 skins mostly done, and only a few more to go.

M=Male, F=Female, H=Haunt

Officers:
    Sergeant - 1M, 1F, 1H
    Captain - 1M, 1F, 1H
    General - 1M, 1H
    Lord - 1H

Rank & File:
    Hammer Soldier - 6M, 3F, 2H
    Swordsman - 4M, 2F, 2H
    Archer - 4M, 2F, 1H
    Priest/ess - 4M, 2F, 2H
    Crossbow - 2M, 2F
    Novices - 4M, 2F

Misc:
    Hammer Zombie (1)
    Murus (1)
    Hammer Combat Bot (1)

Click the thumbnail for a larger preview:

I hope people will enjoy making more Hammer missions using these resources. I'll post progress updates and hope to release it within a couple of weeks. I may need some mesh work done, so I may call on some of you to help with that (mostly just creating female versions of the meshes which don't already exist in T2 or DEDx, plus a male crossbowman). Of course full credit will be given to resources which aren't my own modifications of original material, such as the recent Hammer stained glass window textures that Wille made.

If you want to suggest any other ideas, please do so!

If you want to help with the remaining work (mostly objects and textures) or have resources already made to contribute, please email or PM me.

Aside:
    In making all these skins, I've thought it would be neat to have a custom script which automatically chooses a random skin from a list given in the Design Note to apply using Renderer > Mesh Texture. Then you could just have a single Male Soldier archetype, and when you went in game (sim start), the script would randomly select one of the six skins available. NV or Telliamed, is that feasible?
    Last edited by Yandros; 18th Jul 2007 at 02:06. Reason: edited title to make this the Preview thread

BANNED
    WOW! Great idea Yandros! Could you do a Mech pack too? If things work out right, I'll need both!

Hey, this looks cool. Make way for the Hammers!

As an aside. I could not find my chisel earlier this afternoon. It's still missing. Could one of you taffers come over after midnight and find it for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    • Gamesys built off dark.gam plus a preview mission
    Might I suggest making an XML file for ObjTree?

Clearinghouse
    Cool Good idea

What's up Yandros, haven't you got enough to be getting on with already?

It's a great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Might I suggest making an XML file for ObjTree?
    Coincidentally, I was just playing with ObjTree for the first time a little while ago. I understand basically how the program works, and the XML that comes with it seems to define all the possible properties, right? So creating an ObjTree XML for this gamesys would be a simple matter of exporting it once it's done? Or do I have to write it by hand? I plan to try out writing the gamesys itself usign ObjTree instead of Dromed, it's oh-so-much-easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post
    What's up Yandros, haven't you got enough to be getting on with already?

It's a great idea though!
    I'm taking a few months' off from mission work to do stuff like this, write tuts and entries for Dromesday Book, and update my website.

So creating an ObjTree XML for this gamesys would be a simple matter of exporting it once it's done? Or do I have to write it by hand?
    They have to be written by hand at the moment, since ObjTree was never finished...

Voice Actor
    Please include my Hammer7 schema if you have time to write the schema code. I never could figure it out.

Don

Sure thing, Don. Can you send me a link or email with the latest files to make sure I use them? Not sure if the ones I have were final or not. I'm also hoping bikerdude has time to do a full voice set too for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    They have to be written by hand at the moment, since ObjTree was never finished...
    What's the advantage of having the XML, besides being able to view the gamesys in a browser or writing a style sheet for it?

Methinks the priestess skins need a little tweaking!
    Last edited by Yandros; 7th Mar 2007 at 08:23.

Because ObjTree can be used to import the XML file straight into any existing gamesys, of course!

Great idea, but because of the new schemas:

What's about this in other languages?

The files in Dark Project and Gold have the same names in every language so you can just copy your own. Obviously no way to get the hammerites out of Deadly Shadows without voice acting yourself.

Languages...

Hmmmm.... that's interesting. I had just planned to include the English voice files from TG (like Rob did in DEDx), but will include instructions in the MDK for authors to be able to add them from their own install if it's other than English, so they can include both in their FM. That's going to kind of bloat FM archives I suppose, unless we make this something that players have to have installed to play the FM (like Rob's plans for Dark Metal). Thoughts?

As for Deadly Shadows, I don't understand what you mean. I can pull the individual voice parts out of the resource files, convert to WAV and write my own voice schemas for hammer4-hammer6. I can provide instructions for doing the same extraction as above in different languages for authors using the MDK.

I happened to work on the voices this morning, and thanks to Rob Hicks who did most of the TG work already. He ported the hammer2 and hammer3 schemas and also wrote two female hammer schemas, like I was planning to do, which cherry pick from the female mech voice parts to avoid references to Karras. I now have 3 male and 2 female voices fully functional.
    Thanks Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    I'm taking a few months' off from mission work to do stuff like this, write tuts and entries for Dromesday Book, and update my website.
    I don't blame you! To be honest, I think you really should consider dropping a couple of those FM's. I really can't see you finishing them all, as it will take a very long time, and you really need to move on to a better engine, like the Dark Mod.

= LOL!

I will drop some of them, although I swore oaths to certain people that DP2 and DCE will be completed, plus KAT is a MicroMission and Scott did the voicework already a few years ago, so I may as well finish that one too. But many of the others will end up in the unfinished mission archive I'm working on in my website update.

As for Deadly Shadows, I don't understand what you mean. I can pull the individual voice parts out of the resource files, convert to WAV and write my own voice schemas for hammer4-hammer6. I can provide instructions for doing the same extraction as above in different languages for authors using the MDK.
    The game has not been dubbed. We have readables and subtitles but no German voices. This makes the Deadly Shadows hammerites unuseable in a German mission, unless voice acted on one's own (don't know about other languages, though).

That's what I realized you must have meant after I posted earlier. Well, the scope of DEDx was English only with regards to porting from T1, so we may have to live with that for at least part of the HMDK as well with regards to porting from T3. Unless there are any German (and probably French) voice actors who care to redo all three voice parts... let me send some emails...

Distant Quasar

Hammer Contest?

I smell a Hammerite contest brewing...certainly a reason to wail and gnash your teeth.
    - eep!

Aye, the same thought popped in my head when I first saw this thread.

I'm not complaining. This kit is a good idea and well executed, plus I personally don't mind playing in English at all (in fact, my installation of Deadly Shadows is running in English since it is poorly translated anyway). Even without the new hammerite voices the kit will certainly please a lot of non-English builders - and why not take it as a reason to produce some long due fresh German schemas?

Agreed! I just posted this over in ThiefGen, and once I understand how many languages are affected, I'll start emailing contacts to see if anyone knows of voice actors who would be up to doing this. I would put those up as separate downloadable packs, since not everyone would want them - but it would be nice for authors to be able to include full voice language support for missions developed with the HMDK.

Quote Originally Posted by eepcat View Post
    I smell a Hammerite contest brewing...certainly a reason to wail and gnash your teeth.
    - eep!
    I've thought of doing that later this year, I'd love to see some new Hammer missions! Imagine a big Brawl In The Tombs-style mission with legions of Hammers and Mechs teaming up against undead, or battling one another for control of the City!

Disappointing amount of Hammerite stuff is one of the biggest disadvantages of T2 which I realised after I started dromeding. And porting things from dedx isn't very handy (at least for beginners). So HMDK is a great news and great idea.
    Thank you Yandros for your hard work on that
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Great idea Yandros, I can see using Hammers in a mission with this. I've always been to lazy to do it myself.

I have Hammer inquisitor texture ready, now just let me find it .

*edit*

Ok here we go. Hammer inquisitor:

And a carry icon for it:
    http://koti.phnet.fi/paavolai/thief/HAMPRSCA.pcx

*edit2*

Ah, found more Hammers too

Last edited by Wille; 8th Mar 2007 at 11:48.

Thanks!

I have enough regular hammers already, but I love the Inquisitor! I had thought already of making that guy (the old priest) into a High Priest, so if you don't mind I'll use your skin in that way rather than as Inquisitor.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast