TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief screenplay

Thief screenplay

I'm at the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in completing a feature film screenplay based on the Thief series. Only around twenty pages left!

No. It's too easy. I can't do it. Someone else is going to have to do the smacking-around.

Whatever man. I thought you folks might be interested in reading some fan fiction but if you're just going to be dicks about it I won't bother posting it.

FYI: I am (was, since moved on) a professional script reader where I assessed the investment potential in films such as Bobby, Number 23, Running Scared and upcoming releases like Inkstar and August Rush for major motion picture production companies and I have a film degree from Queen's University. I know how to write a script.

I'm sure it's nothing personal, it's just that your post isn't the first of its kind. The majority of the other posts haven't really gone further than an introduction and some ideas, so you'll just have to expect a bit of cynicism for now. If or when things start appearing, that might change.

... nice community. *leaves*

I -for one- am interested in reading your screenplay.
    (You were saying in your post, that you wanted to post it here /Internet, weren't you?)

Quote Originally Posted by Daguerreotype View Post
    ... nice community. *leaves*
    Well then. If you think we are bad, you should check out comchat.

I really don't know how you delicate flowers survive in the rest of the big bad internet, or for that matter the world, if you think commchat or any of TTLG is too harsh. Really, I don't.

Anyway, friend here needs to understand that this joint has seen dozens and dozens of adaptations or intentions to adapt Thief in one form or another over the last...oh nearly a decade. So you know, you can't really expect a parade when you come in and tell us you haven't quite finished a screenplay.
    However, calling it fan fiction and not expecting the Wiensteins to be on the line right away is more realistic than many and does intrigue me.
    So post it when you're finished. I'm sure it'll get read.

Look I didn't expect parades and I certainly don't need cynicism. I remember this place used to be really supportive toward Thief-oriented projects and thought there might be a few around who might like to relive some old times. Looks like it's picked up a few trolls over the years. Anyways I've been working on this screenplay since October and just finished the final draft tonight. It wasn't easy to make (I haven't even played Thief since 2004) but I'm very pleased with the result. If you'd like to read it post an email address and I'll send the PDF. It's the best way I can think of distributing it. It's 114 pgs and over 25000 words and would clock in at about 2 hours if it were turned into a film. Some have asked my intentions for the script, whether I wanted to shoot it or not. However I know enough about the film industry to know that if you don't have a super-rich film producer as a close friend your script doesn't have a chance in hell of being made. Especially if it's a script that calls for a high-budget blockbuster spectacle and especially especially if you don't even own the license. So, though I'm open to ideas (and investments!) for all intent and purpose this project is finished.

By the way, I don't know who the Wiensteins are but if they've got the lisence tell them I've got 45.17 in Canadian dollars with their name on it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy jon View Post
    If you'd like to read it post an email address and I'll send the PDF. It's the best way I can think of distributing it. It's 114 pgs and over 25000 words and would clock in at about 2 hours if it were turned into a film.
    See, now, if you had started out with that, you might have actually gotten the responses you were looking for.

Your original post makes it appear that you're just looking for blind attention and adulation. If you only have 20 pages left, why not finish and then post?

Yeah, having a bajillion words does change things. At least it wont be like this: Half Life: Full Life Consequenses
    I wouldn't want there to be a theif movie anyway. By the time it reaches the screen, it'll be too fubar from what we know. I don't know much about real 'hollywood' politics, but I have heard nasty things (ie a handsome super hero duo turns into a wimpy teenager and a big hairy girl)(don't ask).

And thank you muzman. I spent three hours crying in my room thanks to you.

good news here, people

Whoa, whoa, whoa, people ... I could tell pretty easily from the very start that this is something much different than the posts you guys are thinking of. This isn't just another half-baked idea to make a movie without any reflection put into it or whatever, like we often hear. This is the actual production of a creative work, which we honestly don't see enough of around here anymore.

The writing of a screenplay is like the making of an FM: It is a cause for celebration, a creative work that has a real shot of getting out there. All you need is initiative and a computer. This is hardly over-enthusiastic wishful thinking.

Seriously, are some of you just Pavlonian sour-shits where you just see the words "will complete" and the alarms go off? Look at what he's saying, even in the first post, and it seems clear this is different.*

Also, a screenplay is much better than just a fanfic (something else easy to complete, a little too easy), because a screenplay requires real attention to dramatic aspects, plot and character development, etc. The very design forces the writer to make it better.

And it honestly doesn't matter as much whether it actually gets made into a movie/animation or whatever. It's great if it does, but a screenplay has value in itself as a creative work we can all read and enjoy.

I think this is very good news and I wish you all the best in finishing this up, crazy jon. Keep us in the loop. I'm sure most people here, me very much included, will be very happy to see this project come to completion, instinctive sour-shit mutterings (that you may safely ignore) aside. Cheers.

* edit: To be fair, I honestly think Telliamed and R Soul were thinking more about the situation where someone naively announces they want to make some insane project, like a movie or full campaign, and all the annoying hubris and hubbub that goes with that really does get tiring, a situation where their comments would make more sense. I just personally don't see this situation as quite the same ... Although, like R Soul said, I also think crazy jon shouldn't take the comments so personally and could have kept is cool a little better, as I don't think they were meant in a mean spirit. And anyway, in the end it's not really that big of a deal to make much of a fuss over. When it gets released, that's what's important.
    Last edited by demagogue; 9th May 2007 at 11:09.

(only three hours? I'm losing my touch)

Anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Also, a screenplay is much better than just a fanfic (something else easy to complete, a little too easy), because a screenplay requires real attention to dramatic aspects, plot and character development, etc. The very design forces the writer to make it better.
    Dude, the guy posts one line about his intentions and what he's doing and we can tell he's 'different'? Gimmee a break. All it says is he's nearly finished something, and he says it like "Everyone get excited! Here it comes!". Worse, one, count 'em, one person responds in a faintly snarky way and it's all "Fine! I thought you'd all be excited, but no you're all jerks! I'm taking my bat and ball and going home!". Good start. Terrific stuff.
    A simple "Hi folks. I'm most of the way through a screenplay based on Thief. Would anyone like to have a read?" this whole thing would go down completely different.
    And as to the quote; whatever it is you're smoking pass it around. crazy jon ought to be able to tell you the same thing. Screenplay is a format; yes it requires real attention to character and plot and drama to make it good, but the same goes for fan fiction of any stripe. A tremendous amount of concentration can go into making complete rubbish.

In summary; the reaction to this announcement should not be a surprise to anyone under the circumstances.
    And now that that's out of the way.. is PDF the way to go? Surely a word doc or something would be miles smaller. Send it in to the site anyway, they'll probably host it (if you're not averse to spreading it around)

Gee, sorry for saying that I had nearly completed an independent Thief-related project that might appeal to other Thief fans. I guess that's not what the Thief message boards are for.

If you people are more interested in criticizing the way I told you that I wrote a screenplay about Thief than in the fact that I wrote a screenplay about Thief then just leave. This place is supposed to be a fan community. Yeah, Thief's been out for a decade. Yeah, there are plenty other fan works around (particularly for this game). If that's stopping you from being excited about a new fan work you should move on because you don't belong here any more.

And Demagogue's right (on more than one thing, but I'll keep it short), it's much easier to even attempt to write a story than a screenplay. You have to research the format, read a bunch (around 100 professional shooting scripts for me) and have a strong enough background in film to not only talk the lingo but imagine it on-screen. If I wasn't committed I wouldn't have gotten past the first page.

And Muzman why wouldn't I take my ball and bat and go home if no one wants to play? Or, even worse, they want to ridicule me for even wanting to play? I posted half an announcement to see if people were interested and when I came back the next day it seemed like all they were interested in doing was scolding me for trying.

Regardless, this was an intense project, the type that I've started and dropped many times. I'm excited that it's done and even if you don't read it I think you should be too.

I don't mind sending the word document (PDF is industry standard because its unalterable but docs still get used every so often for less serious projects like this one) but I'd rather not host it on the site (at least for now). It would take around 4 hours to read so it would work best as a separate file. Plus I'm not huge on representing it in a space where I don't have control over formatting and other things.

Permanently Enlarged

Personally, I think its a good idea. Dont mind the jerks on here, there are a LOT of em, course, I can also see thier end of the stick as well. I may have not been in this forum for a long time (lil over a year, since Dec 2005), but Ive seen some stuff similar to this in one aspect or another that just kinda...stunk. 'Ey, shit happens, ya know. Some of the 'oldbies' on this forums and others like it kinda get a bug up thier ass about this kinda stuff, mostly cuz theyve seen things like it start with vigor and zeal, but end far short of completion.

In short, I can understand, in part, thier cynicism. However, I do agree w/ ya, they should be a bit more receptive to stuff like this, just cuz youve seen a million flops doesnt mean that all attempts will fall short of the finish line. Course, theyre prolly much more agreeable people in RL, but the bitterness just seems to explode out on people when theyve been on the net for a long time. Hell, even Im guilty of being an e-bastard many times.

Woah, went a bit OT there, sorry. As for me, I'm interested in seein this, hell, I dont got much else to read in Debate class, (its amazing what a lil *creatively acquired* software can do, heh heh). My mail should be in my profile, just send 'er there, I gotta have SOMETHING to read that isnt my own words, even if they arent written in english, hell, Ive even started a poem based off of Thief 3 entierly in Latin. I have waaaaaayy too much time to kill atm.

Previously Important
    Talk about knee-jerk reactions and defensiveness so thick you could choke a beluga whale with it.

Chill out, brothers and sisters. One thing I have learned about the miraculous series of tubes that is the Internet: If you puff up your chest too quickly you get stuck.

Hi Ravynous
    I checked your profile and it says that you do not wish to receive emails so your address is blocked. If you or anyone else wants to email jon_marck@hotmail.com that's a good way to get in touch too.

Previously Important
    careful what if the reply is entierly in Latin

Gingerbread Man is right, we can either bite each others head off, or come to an agreement.

Crazyjon should have read about previous posts like this, and perhaps been a little more specific.
    The rest of us should have not given it such a hositle welcome.

Everyone else should know the rest of the boards are not like this.

Oh, and crazy john, you should NEVER display your email like that!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy jon View Post
    And Muzman why wouldn't I take my ball and bat and go home if no one wants to play? Or, even worse, they want to ridicule me for even wanting to play? I posted half an announcement to see if people were interested and when I came back the next day it seemed like all they were interested in doing was scolding me for trying.
    one tiny little extra word from me: What do you care what people's assumptions or cynicisms might be? It takes nothing away from you either way. OK, a desire to hand it around pesron to person complicates things somewhat. But if you've done something based on Thief people will be curious to see it. Had you led with the artifact you would have found this out.
    I don't mind sending the word document (PDF is industry standard because its unalterable but docs still get used every so often for less serious projects like this one) but I'd rather not host it on the site (at least for now). It would take around 4 hours to read so it would work best as a separate file. Plus I'm not huge on representing it in a space where I don't have control over formatting and other things.
    Fair enough. I didn't mean for it to be put up in HTML though. The site will probably host the file the way you want it, if its reasonably small. Just a thought.

In other words, people, take it easy . . .
    Last edited by imperialreign; 7th May 2007 at 21:52.

Previously Important
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    The site will probably host the file the way you want it, if its reasonably small. Just a thought.
    No reason why it couldn't be added to the Fanworks section at the Circle, yeah.

Hey crazyjon I'd be interested in reading your screenplay. If you like you can send it over to lambizkit@hotmail.com. Thanks man.

Permanently Enlarged

oopsy, forgot about that lil setting. lets just say i dont want just anyone mailin me, i get enough spam as is. ill take a look at the screenplay, just send 'er here.

got it...sent!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast