TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief: windowed

Thief: windowed

I was just wondering, is it possible to play thief in "windowed" mode? Thief 1, Gold, and 2? I don't know if its ever been brought up before, so thats why i posted. sorry if it has been discussed.

You can use this utility to play your thief games in windowed mode: http://www.geocities.jp/menopem/D3DWindower.lzh.

How do i use it? i cant read japanese characters.

The file isn't there anymore. I just get a 404 page.

sNeaksieGarrett: Press plus-icon to open file selection dialog and browse to that directory where you did install your game. Select game executable and click OK. Then press Play-icon. Now you can play your game in windowed mode.

If that didn't work, open file dialog again by clicking on plus-icon. Go back your game installation directory. Type "*.*" without quotation marks and press enter. Now search for file that ends with .icd file extension. Select it and press OK. It should work at this time.

Telliamed: The file is there. Just try download it again. If it's not there then I will mirror it.

Thanks The Brain! Wahoo! I got it to work! I had downloaded another program called 3danalyze, and like two versions of dxwnd, but none of them worked properly. 3danalyze didnt even work, dxwnd old version corrupted the game, dxwnd new corrupted the game. However, this d3dwindowizer worked!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I don't even know where to click on the linked page. I tried running the page through Google translation and it didn't help.

hey Yandros, try this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PLCDCB1X

Thanks, I finally have a non-corrupt version of the LZH file. Now, can someone post instructions in English since the readme is in Japanese?

Eh, I thought that I just did post usage instructions in simplest form.

Anyway, here is picture and some more instructions for rest of you.

1. Press play-icon to activate window emulation and stop-icon deactivate it.
    2. Press plus-icon to add program which you want to run in windowed mode. Pressing minus-icon when program name is selected in list box removes it.
    3. From left to right : Pressing this icon runs program;This icon opens settings window;This icon opens Windows Explorer in that directory where selected program lies.

If you want modify your programs window emulation settings, you need to first select your program in that list and press middle icon in location 3.
    Unfortunately texts in this program is written in japanese, so there is no way to determine which options do what. However there is workaround for this problem.
    Just select whichever option in that dialog and press OK. Reopen settings dialog and unselect that previosly selected option. Close program. Now there should be file called hook.ini in that directory where you did extract program files. Open it in Notepad.

Its contents should be more or less like this:
    Code:
    [KnownProgram]
    F:\Pelit\Shock2Main\SHOCK2.EXE=SHOCK2

[Prog.SHOCK2]
    UseWindowMode=1
    UseGDI=1
    UseDirect3D=1
    UseDirectInput=0
    UseDirectDraw=1
    CommandLine=
    Width=0
    Height=0
    MenuId=
    ShowFps=0
    UseForegroundControl=0
    UseDDrawColorEmulate=1
    UseDDrawFlipBlt=0
    UseDDrawColorConvert=0
    UseDDrawPrimaryBlt=1
    UseDDrawAutoBlt=0
    UseDDrawEmulate=0
    UseDDrawPrimaryLost=0
    SubModule0=
    UseCursorMsg=0
    UseCursorSet=0
    UseCursorGet=0
    UseCursorClip=0
    UseSpeedHack=0
    SpeedHackMultiple=10
    UseBackgroundResize=0
    UseBackgroundPriority=0
    DDrawBltWait=-1
    UseFGCGetActiveWindow=0
    UseFGCGetForegroundWindow=0
    UseFGCFixedWindowPosition=0
    EnableExtraKey=0
    As you can see, all strings are in English. Now you can start your own experimentation with these settings, so you can get maxium emulation performance.

If you wish, you can copy these settings as they are in this post and paste them in correct locations in your hook.ini file.

Thief2.exe is on the left, Thief2.icd is on the right. If I select either then only the Settings and Directory icons do anything. I've also copied your hook.ini into mine, changing the shock2 path to my thief2 path. No better.

What is the difference between the Play icon and the Run Program icon?

what is windowed mean yes my spelling sucks I can do great in science and math but cant spell good.

Or better still:

English version (roughly translated using Res Hacker).

Seems you need to set 'DDraw Emulate' in the 'Windowed Mode' tab in the settings or the game will end up oddly stretched.
    It also seems that you need to quit the program after adding a game, before you can run that game.

Also, the program crashes for me whenever I try to actually start a game.
    First it crashes on the cutscenes, but hiding away LGVid.ax allowed it to continue ingame.
    When it gets ingame, all the colours are messed up (looks like serious palette issues), and the game crashes if I look around.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 8th Jan 2011 at 12:59.

ffox: Play-icon activates window emulation layer. If window emulation isn't activated, program runs in fullscreen mode. Run-icon starts selected program.

Well, you don't need to press Run-icon to start your program. Only window emulation needs to be activated before you start your program by doubleclicking its executable in Windows Explorer or its shortcut in desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by bronze eye View Post
    what is windowed mean yes my spelling sucks I can do great in science and math but cant spell good.
    Not full screen - in a window on your desktop.

Thanks for the info all, I'll try this tonight when I get home.

I've got as far as NV did using his translated version. When I select New Game the window goes black with audio playing, and that's it. With LGVID.AX deleted it gets a bit further before "Thief2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".

I've also tried DXWND - that doesn't work at all.

Edit: Using The Brain's hook.ini (with LGVID.AX hidden) Thief2 gameplay runs OK in a window that is a bit bigger than full screen. The light gem etc. at the bottom are invisible and so is the right edge. It does this on all screen resolutions from 640 x 480 to 1280 x 1024.

Further edit: Using Thief Options to change the resolution fixes the oversize window problem.
    Last edited by ffox; 7th May 2007 at 15:32.

Seems to work for me too, when using TheBrain's .ini.
    In fact, it works if I leave all the options at default values except for 'DDraw Colour Convert', which I turn off.
    Having lgvid.ax available still causes it to crash, though - the entire screen goes black as soon as a video is supposed to play, and remains black permanently.

This also works to force DromEd to go into game mode in a window with full hardware support.

Zombified
    methinks this should be added to FAQ.

jtr7
    I get the game in a window, and that all works fine, without changing my preferred settings. What I have a problem with is not being able to use the desktop. Alt+Tab doesn't work at all. What happens, in the end, is that I have no real benefit from having Thief in a window, because it doesn't speed up switching between the two. I'll experiment some more, with the "Windows" key and the "Menu" key.

Holy hell! I go away for a bit and come back... and look at all these posts!

Anyhow, it appears that the Japanese version works the best. Personally, I've tried like two different versions of dxwnd, 3danalyze, and d3dwindower (japanese). One of the dxwnd's i used just crashes the game.... the other one stretches the screen like what Nameless Voice mentioned. Very odd effect. Makes the game unplayable. 3danalyze just failed to do anything except waste my time.

@Yandros: You are welcome. I had hoped that I could be of assistance. I find out that MegaUpload is quite helpful. I had just created the account...

Guys, if you want one that works its probably best to stick with the Japanese one even though you cant read anything. Unless anyone can confirm an english one that works 100% well, i wouldn't use it myself. But that is just me. Feel free to ignore that last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Guys, if you want one that works its probably best to stick with the Japanese one even though you cant read anything.
    You do realise I just linked to a modified version of that program with most of the labels in English, right?
    You should be able to understand it just fine now.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 8th Jan 2011 at 13:22.

yeah I did, but based off what I read from previous posts, it appears ya'll are having trouble with the "English" one. That is why I said stick with the Japanese one that works well....But like I said, feel free to just say "f**k you ill do it the way i want" basically. It is only my lowely opinion.

[edit] ACtually, it doesnt work that well.... whenever i die, the "death movie" doesnt show; i hear the audio, but the screen is black. also, when it gets back to the menu, i hear the audio, but again, i see nothing but blackness. I guess if things were actually in english that would help. But the game seems to run fine in windowed mode with the Japanese version initially Sorry guys, I guess i should stop trying to act like i know what im talking about when in fact i dont, and it makes me look like a douche.

[edit2] Wow I feel stupid. I downloaded your version of the program NV.. its the same program of course, for some reason i was thinking you changed it, but like you said, all you did was "roughly" translate the in-program texts.... You sir, are a genius! =) Apparently, it doesn't like cutscenes or going back to the menu when you die. Anyone played around with it enough to find a fix?
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 7th May 2007 at 21:16.

The only solution for cutscene problem is to rename lgvid.ax to different filename, AFAIK.

I am trying to run T2 in window mode. I tried to run it with all the programs mentioned above. All of them runs the executable but none in window mode- just full screen. Any other ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast