TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: BioShock reviews

BioShock reviews

It seems the first review of the game is out, though quite unspectacularly by a music magazine, Alternative Press. They give the 360 version 5/5, and text:
    A Perfect Score: That's what BioShock deserves as it is one of the most original, haunting and memorable shooters to come along since Half Life. BioSchock brings the action 20,000 leagues under the sea to Rapture, a city built on the bottom of the ocean floor by a utopian genius with a thing for art deco. But by the time you arrive, the city is a doomed dystopia populated by mutated freaks, gene-harvesting little girls and hulking behemoths donning gonzo diving gear who can run you through with one punch. The real point of interest is the look of Rapture, though. Where most shooters take place in warehouses, slimy caves or alien ships, Rapture, though tattered and falling apart, is filled with lush, '50s retro architecture and appointments. The game is also an RPG masquerading as a shooter, letting you upgrade everything from your weapons to, well, yourself. Just play it, you'll see.
    OXM is out on the 2nd, so we'll see if they managed to write the review they promised (as well as snag that demo, for that matter ). Meanwhile, I hear that the next Game Informer (out in 18 days) will have their review giving the game 10/10.

[edit]
    Confirmed reviews so far:
    OXM UK: 10/10
    PC Gamer UK: 95%
    Xbox World 360: 94%
    Alternative Press: 5/5
    PC Zone UK: 96%
    Game Informer: 10/10
    Eurogamer: 10/10
    Game Reactor: 9/10
    Gamespy: 5/5
    1Up: 10/10
    IGN: 9.7/10
    Team XBox: 9.5
    Last edited by Vraptor7; 16th Aug 2007 at 19:54. Reason: Updating confirmed reviews.

Not very in-depth, but then again, at this point, that would give a little too much away. Although I have to disagree with the "RPG masquerading as a shooter" part, since it's always been emphasized that BioShock's an FPS.

I. Demo. Now. >_>

It is a first person shooter, but it does have RPG elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Revengematron3 View Post
    I have to disagree with the "RPG masquerading as a shooter" part, since it's always been emphasized that BioShock's an FPS.
    If you haven't played the game yet how would you know? If a game has stat-based character development then it's an RPG by definition.

Of course to be fair its perfectly likely that the reviewer hasn't played the game yet either.

If a game has stat-based character development then it's an RPG by definition.
    Someone has a very warped definition of what a role-playing game is.

An RPG is exactly that - a role-playing game. I don't think I need to define the term.

I could make a platformer game in which you upgrade character stats now and then, but it wouldn't make it an "RPG".

Pretty much anything more than getting new weapons or armor upgrade constitutes an RPG these days.

PC Gamer UK also comes out on the 2nd of August, however subscribers usually get it a couple of days early, so I expect people will see it in the next couple of days.

Reviews?... Christ. I dunno about anyone else, but this is the first game I have been really excited about since the day it was announced, and the idea that it might actually be coming out in a few weeks makes me feel a bit giddy.

How can some music magazine review the game before everyone else?

Shane from 1UP/EGM said that they would receive a copy for review 'next week'. That was one or two weeks ago.

That's awesome. Hopefully this will be a new age for Irrational. No more mercenary contract work, full steam ahead with the games they want to make, seeing their design dogma popping up more- ultimately more games like this.

Congrats, Irrational!

is Best Pony
    It has to sell first.

I asked a couple of guys working in two GAME stores about interest so far - the first one sort of dismissed Bioshock a bit, which was disappointing, but the second said they'd had quite a bit of interest, which sounds promising!

(I got mistaken for a staff member at that store, we were all wearing Transformers T-shirts. I just waffled away to the guy who asked me PS3 questions, so if it was you and I got it wrong, sorry!)

Yeah, thats brilliant news, congratulations Irrational..

i only skipped thru the pages, didn't want to get spoiled, but boy i got goosebumps only reading the superlative citations between the pages.....

spoiler:
    I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five.

- Tom Francis

According to the OXM review, the 360 version is getting some "exclusive" plasmids and gene tonics. Here we go again with the platform exclusives crap. I'm getting so sick of this shit. Publishers wanting to rip us off by trying to get us to buy the same game twice on different platforms. I wonder if the reverse applies (PC exclusives not on 360). Either way, I don't think it's fair to owners of either platform.

I'm happy to hear Bioshock is getting excellent reviews, but this "exclusives" garbage has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm.
    Last edited by redrain85; 30th Jul 2007 at 12:29. Reason: spelling

I bet modders will add these plasmids & gene tonics to the PC version the day after the release.

That slowly, comon give them credit.

is Best Pony
    Don't most 'exclusive' things like that end up being fairly superfluous anyway?

No PC reviews yet?

What, apart from PC Gamer?

Wow, I am unbelievably stupid. I didn't make the connection between the name and the platform they were reviewing the game on.

Okay, according to 2K Elizabeth there is no game content exclusive to either platform.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...?t=2261&page=3

I want to believe that, but are we expected to believe the staff at OXM "imagined" what they saw? That it was all some terrible mix-up?

intriguing

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast