TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leaked Content from Unreleased Dark Engine Game

I'm finding substantially larger outdoor areas than we're accustomed to in the Dark Engine, evidently Deep was coded far better for that kind of thing-if we could just code that kind of size tolerance into T2!

The Architect
    Howabout that light gem, eh?

In some ways, I can see it almost being easier to finish some of these missions than it would be to finish the Thief 2 Gold ones.

Less pressure on those doing it to "get it right".
    It looks like all of the missions are based on a collection of real-world events / locations rather than a continuous plotline...
    ... which means an author could just focus on one mission to their heart's content and use real-world fact-finding to base their details and information on.
    Dozens of new props and objects would have to be created, but real-world based objects and textures are much easier to come by than fantasy/scifi ones.

I am just musing. /ignore

I think a lot of it can't really be used due to the size (especially the street missions), if you were to detail it to the level you see in most FM's nowadays it would be too many polys on the Dark Engine and the framerate would implode. Small sections and internal brushes could be lifted to be used in FM's however which is what I may do when my current project is done. Still if someone could pull it off, I'd love to play it,

Quote Originally Posted by JewelThief View Post
    although the texture format doesn't seem to work with T2.
    They just haven't been properly paletted. When done properly:

I fixed them by using PSP to batch convert them to BMP, then used NV's batch files to make proper fams out of them.
    Get them here:
    http://alltorc.mysite.wanadoo-member...m_textures.zip (~5MB)
    Really this is just to allow viewing. To use in your own missions, you might get better results if they're arranged differently.

Thanks R Soul!

I've found a gam that doesn't crash:
    \old_levels\LEVELS\[network]\SHIPPING\Gam backups\HOLD\deep.gam

It's still got missing things, but at least it loads.

Trees. They don't look great.

A better gamesys:
    C:\Downloads\DeepCover\old_levels\LEVELS\[network]\SHIPPING\Gam backups\deeprex.gam

Move to Thief2\ and rename to deep.gam to have it automatically found when you load the mission.

So can someone explain to the uninitiated what abandoned project this is. Or gimme a link.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Or you could just follow the last link in the first post of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Oh right. I thought that was a link to the original Thief resources thread, so I didn't bother clicking on it.

oops.

It's here!

As soon as the T2G stuff got leaked, I was hoping Deep Cover would be next.

Should we have a straw-poll? Who's up for working on a release version? I would be. It'd be a fun change of pace, and yeah, more low-key than the T2G stuff so no pressure. I suppose I should take a look at the files to see what we're dealing with, but my first instinct is this is something I'd like to work on ... being part of the LGS legacy and all of that.

It's also a good chance to get the Thief gameplay in a new context without all the annoying bling of other spy FPsneakers. Hack in a silencer pistol, maybe a sniper rifle (just change all the relevant bow & arrow images and sounds), some 60s-era (relatively) low-tech spy gear, some Russian speaking guard barks, and some good old fashion hallways and shadows, and away we go. I think it sounds fun. I dig Cold War suspense.
    Last edited by demagogue; 3rd Aug 2007 at 23:41.

Always the smart ass.

Wow, these are big. All that work!

Anybody notice some levels where the PC moves considerably faster, and when he turns it banks sharply? It almost gives me the impression that he's on a motorcycle, like for a quick escape.

As for those very wide open spaces JewelThief was worried about working when fully developed ... in all the cases I saw, it wouldn't be hard to break up that space with some well placed walls and buildings so the lines of sight aren't so long. Just because they put a wide open space there doesn't mean we have to keep them as is, esp if they won't run, and esp when so much of the other stuff can, so it'd be ashame to dismiss 95% of the good for 5% of the bad but changeable.
    Of the reasons why might not be finishable in dromed, that's not a very good one.
    Last edited by demagogue; 4th Aug 2007 at 18:47.

If you save a mission after using the "scale_player_speed" command (in editor mode only), the speed will remain scaled even when the mission is reloaded.

I think the maximum is 5, but the stability problems begin at around 3. In a fully functioning mission (scripts loaded etc) high player speeds are bad for your health.

In fact, the speed change will even affect the player though Thief2.exe, so you could make an FM where you played a faster character than Garrett.

Thanks for that, R Soul.

The Architect
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    In fact, the speed change will even affect the player though Thief2.exe, so you could make an FM where you played a faster character than Garrett.
    Which would be great if you could set it to ... maybe, 1.2 or .15 or something (can you? I've never tried) as 2 is rather inhumanly fast. Of course, Garrett is still the fastest thing in the entire Thief Universe, isn't he?

Sounds like the author just had player speed hyped up for testing purposes on the super-big maps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Which would be great if you could set it to ... maybe, 1.2 or .15 or something (can you? I've never tried)
    It seems so. Not tested through t2.exe but it's okay in Dromed.

I had it set at 2 for my Crap Contest FM (Thief 4: The Medal Age)

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Howabout that light gem, eh?
    There are actually two different light gems included in this archive-- the "thermometer" style one, and other that's integrated into the Rolex HUD. You have to rename WATCH01.BIN through WATCH17.BIN to UICRY01.BIN, etc, then copy them and WATCH.TGA into the appropriate folders to see it.

In other news, I've typed up descriptions of all the object models and the textures that each use. Uploaded here:
    http://clayh.net/ttlg/dc_model_list.zip

The ZIP contains an Excel spreadsheet, and the same spreadsheet as HTML.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 22nd Mar 2010 at 10:40. Reason: updating URL

That's brilliant, thanks ZB.

Thanks for posting this Digital Nightfall. And thanks to whoever gave this stuff to you!

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Wow...every time I think something cool won't come along, I'm surprised yet again. Too bad the version of Dromed used for these isn't available. It's little presents like this that make me think the Dark Engine source code might turn up one day...oh, to dream.
    I would LOVE to get my hands on the T2/DromEd2 source code.

Oh, to dream indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Renault View Post
    Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    In other news, I've typed up descriptions of all the object models and the textures that each use. Uploaded here:
    http://home.att.net/~clay.h/ttlg/dc_model_list.zip

The ZIP contains an Excel spreadsheet, and the same spreadsheet as HTML.
    Cheers!
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast