TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leaked Content from Unreleased Dark Engine Game

The Architect
    That's brilliant Zylon! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    In other news, I've typed up descriptions of all the object models and the textures that each use.
    That's great!
    It would have been nice if you had included pictures, though...

ZylonBane
    Dude, there were around 300 objects in there. Just typing up the descriptions took long enough! Plus it would have made for a huge download. And the VIEW.EXE renderer is crap.

This is true.
    It works a lot better if you put it into fullscreen / hardware mode, but even then it's still worse than even the software renderer in DromEd's 3D view.

It still would have been nice...

Wow!! Christmas has come early! Thanks Digi and our unknown informer!

One day we'll get that source code... one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Haegan View Post
    Wow!! Christmas has come early! Thanks Digi and our unknown informer!

One day we'll get that source code... one day.
    I really think that the prime time for a source code release / leak is going to come and go. Somebody has to have it...I simply can't believe that it is lost. Well, if anyone truly cared, it would have been released or leaked by now I think. There are plenty of ways to anonymously get something like that out there...go to an internet cafe and upload it from a usb stick onto a bunch of file sharing sites....post a message somewhere, and let the Thief community do the rest. By the time anyone could get upset, it would be too late.

Keep up hope, look what we have gained so far-perhaps in time we'll get something!

Digital Nightfall probably already has it - after all, he's *very* good at keeping secrets. He's just timing the release for a year or two from now, stringing it along with tidbits like Thief 2 Gold missions, This content pack, and various other leaked stuff. His crowning moment will be posting a thread entitled "Dark Engine Source Code leaked", and he'll admit how it's been sitting on his hard drive for years...

Okay, just kidding. But that really would be the bomb, wouldn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by jolynsbass View Post
    Digital Nightfall probably already has it - after all, he's *very* good at keeping secrets. He's just timing the release for a year or two from now, stringing it along with tidbits like Thief 2 Gold missions, This content pack, and various other leaked stuff. His crowning moment will be posting a thread entitled "Dark Engine Source Code leaked", and he'll admit how it's been sitting on his hard drive for years...

you say it, but I admitt I've been thinking the same

Quote Originally Posted by jolynsbass View Post

Well whoever is sitting on it out there, waiting for a bird to hatch from the source code, had better get a move on. It's 2007, and you can already see the community starting to dwindle away. I would say that if it isn't released within the next year, it will be too late.

If Digital Nightfall had the source code, he would have people working on it to ease Dark's restrictions, rather than struggling along with Mission X, battling DromEd's limits the whole way...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    My thoughts exactly.

Who says that he doesn't already have people working on it? I haven't seen him denying it here.

To be honest, I don't think he really has it, but the thought has crossed my mind. If someone has the source code, they are probably going to wait and see whether anything comes out of this leak.

Source code aside, its great to still see this stuff being released to the community even if it doesnt get made into a comeplete thief 2 fm im sure someone will benefit from the new textures.

If the source code was ever released there would follow some mighty arguments about what to do with it.

The Architect
    I guess I should get this out of the way, just in case ...

No, I have nothing else. Sorry. This will probably the last release of secret goodies by me from LGS. The only reason I say "probably" is that maybe someday in the future someone will send me something new - but I am in no way anticipating that.

And I agree with R Soul. Imagine 50 different and incompatible versions of the dark engine out there. Good times!

ZylonBane
    Fan communities have dealt quite rationally with source code in the past. As an example, when the source to Freespace 2 was released a few years ago, the community rallied and founded the FS2 Source Code Project. They've done an amazing job of overhauling and enhancing the engine since then.

One wonders if there are even any copies of the Thief source in existence anymore.

If the source code was ever released there would follow some mighty arguments about what to do with it
    I think we could agree on some basics:

1. Support for large outdoor areas like Unreal, imagine being able to build all kinds of terrain which wouldn't destroy your framerate.

2. Support for textures larger than 256X256 for greater detail

3. Fog that looks good in all graphics cards!

4. Bigger object, roombrush, ai limits

5. Support for cylinders over 10 sides for better curved surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    One wonders if there are even any copies of the Thief source in existence anymore.
    Maybe I'm just in denial, but I have difficulty believing that nobody would bother to sneak off with a copy of the Dark Engine's source. Someone, somewhere must have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JewelThief View Post

1. Support for large outdoor areas like Unreal, imagine being able to build all kinds of terrain which wouldn't destroy your framerate.

2. Support for textures larger than 256X256 for greater detail

3. Fog that looks good in all graphics cards!

4. Bigger object, roombrush, ai limits

5. Support for cylinders over 10 sides for better curved surfaces.
    6. Gut the thing and replace direct x with opengl, and port the thing over to Mac, Linux.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by JewelThief View Post
    You forgot the most important one:

Compatibility with modern graphics cards.

True, that would cover no 3 automatically.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Not necessarily, compatibility doesn't mean "works well with", it just mean "works with".

ZylonBane
    No, I meant "works well with".

Dark Engine games are, sadly, only partially compatible with current video cards.

ZylonBane
    By the way, there's some interesting inside information about Deep Cover in this thread from the QT3 forums:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ead.php?t=8255

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast