TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked Content from Unreleased Dark Engine Game

The Architect

Leaked Content from Unreleased Dark Engine Game

I tend to be over-wordy, so I'll keep this simple as a Q&A.

http://208.49.149.120/dromed/dc/dc_media_assort.zip (about 100 megs)
    http://www.backdrifts.co.uk/dc_media_assort.zip - Mirror 1 (Thanks D'Juhn Keep)
    http://www.southquarter.com/fms/data...dia_assort.zip - Mirror 2 (Thanks Brother Renault)

What is it? It's a collection of media from an unreleased game. "Dc / deep" and the fact that it's being released here should be a big enough hint. If it's not, you don't know your LGS history well enough!*

What's in it? Folders named dc_fams_foruse, dc_fams_raw, dc_obj, deep_obj_lite, old_levels should be self explanatory.

Old Levels?! Yes, mis files. However no version of dromed we have is fully compatible with them, so expect issues.

Who sent these? You know I can't tell you. All I can say is that it was not one of the usual suspects.

When were they sent to you? A long time ago. Other media was released a year ago (T2G, to the day actually) and the idea was to 'wait and see' if any trouble came of it before releasing the far more sensitive stuff. It was not, however, sent to me at the same time as the T2G stuff ... actually some time before that, with a "maybe it will be safe to release this some day, in a few years perhaps" comment on it. I admit that I opened the Christmas presents a bit early myself and tinkered a bit with the stuff. Who wouldn't?

100 megs from that slow server?! No way! Any are welcome to host it and post the new DL location here, but please, no file sharing hosts like rapidshare or whatever.

What is this good for? There's plenty in here that look '18th century' enough to be used in Thief FMs, and plenty that could look modern enough for SS2 FMs. Everything in between ...

Hey, there's a ton of Thief and SS2 stuff in here! What gives? Placeholder media. The donor gave them to me 'as is' and I am giving them to you 'as is' ... yes it makes the file size bigger, but I know many will want to get these original and untampered. In the future if anyone wants to make a 'Lite' version sans duplicates, be my guest.

* Old Thread:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46265

Enjoy!

I have to check these out once I get back home from work .

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Awesome, Digi! Downloading now! Wouldn't be great if one of our tech geniuses around here dug into the .mis files enough to make them openable?

is Best Pony
    I guessed the wrong game. I went one earlier rather than one later.

Ooh, I can't wait to plough through that .zip file!

Thanks for these, whoever you are!

As if I don't have enough on my plate!

You know I have to look into this - maybe I can get those .mis files open somehow...
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

Ooh, all those new objects, each with their .e and .3ds files!

Interesting, they're using .pcx files, instead of .gif's.

Thief 2 used a mixture of both, so it's not surprising if they were moving in that direction already in 2000.

Have a seat...

@43% on the DL...this IS pretty slow. Oh well...nothing compared to all that mission testing for frobber done a 4kps over dial-up.

Lots of .mis files, and some of them are very good!

To load them into Dromed, load them as usual, but when asked to load in the gamesys, just load the .mis file again. All the objects will be wedges, but at least you can see the levels. (The gamesystem files are included, but when loading them, Dromed crashes)

bayofpigs1.mis

ship28.mis
    Last edited by Sluggs; 3rd Aug 2007 at 09:51.

Southquarter.com/fms
    This sounds really cool - Digi, I think you have a thing for August 3rd.

I'll try to get this up on southquarter ASAP as well for mirror purposes.

The Architect
    Wow sluggs, that was easy enough.

Original post edited.

I guess I never tried to workaround the gam thing.

Anyone tried opening up one of the gamesys files in that tool for editing .gam's (can't remember the name of it and don't have it on this system, sorry)?

Araghhuh...my first DL hung at 47%. Now it's down to 7kps...seems the server is getting whooped right now so I backed off. I'll wait and nab it overnight.

Can't wait to get my grubby little mits on this!

2kB/s

I might try again later, or hope that someone can put it on a faster server.

I put a mirror up here: http://www.backdrifts.co.uk/dc_media_assort.zip

Hopefully it'll handle the strain

That's looking much better. Thanks

Yeah..now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Had a look at a few fam folders. They look pretty good. I'll fire up the beast after lunch.

This resource pack has me thinking contest. I know, I know stop throwing things. Pick a .mis file as a base and take, ~4 weeks to complete. Maybe even make an info_window time limit ~50 hrs. Just thinking and posting...always a dangerous thing for me to do.

I hope I'm not supposed to say this, or if it even means anything, but I found people names in specific areas of the two mis files I looked at.

Maybe Telliamed's "ObjTree" can open these gamesys files...

Wow...every time I think something cool won't come along, I'm surprised yet again. Too bad the version of Dromed used for these isn't available. It's little presents like this that make me think the Dark Engine source code might turn up one day...oh, to dream.

The Architect
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I hope I'm not supposed to say this, or if it even means anything, but I found people names in specific areas of the two mis files I looked at.
    Well we already know who was involved in making this game, in fact we have semi-detailed credits for it, so that's not really spoiling anything.

Gah, I'm having trouble loading sleuth.mis and it's previous files... M02A_0084.MIS - M02A_0088.MIS

I've got it loaded a couple of times, but the damn thing don't want to load anymore! (I'm going through all the .mis files and fixing them) It's a big Museum of sorts. (Well, that's what it looked like on the outside. I never got the chance to see the inside, due to it crashing on me)

Oh, shame all those nice textures are missing full.pcx I guess the lost engine didn't need it.

ZylonBane
    I've just looked at the archive briefly so far, but noticed there's tons of TGA textures in there. At the very least we may end up with some sweet new tree models out of this!

"ptree.tga" seems to be intended as a fake shadow to be placed at the base of a palm tree model. Neat idea if true.

Create a regular obj and fam file and dump the .zip's contents into them, open the missions like sluggs said (or you could try the deep.gam) and you'll find a few of the objects look right in game, although the texture format doesn't seem to work with T2.

Once I finally get my blasted mission I'm on done right now, I plan on some heavy pilfering-there's some GREAT work in here!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast