TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BioShock's widescreen is just a cropped 4:3 picture

BioShock's widescreen is just a cropped 4:3 picture

http://www.undefinedspace.com/bioshock.gif

How gay is that? Widescreen is supposed to increase your viewing area, not decrease it.

no way. holy shit

I know, I've been running it in my native resolution of 1920 x 1200, that's a lot of missed picture. If I run it in anything less than that it wouldn't look nearly as good. I'd have to run it in windowed mode at 1280 x 1024 for it to look good and to get the whole picture.

This is something that mods/patches could easily fix and hopefully will be fixed soon after the game's release.

is Best Pony
    Er, what am I supposed to be looking at?

An animated image that shows the difference between the natural 4:3 image and the cropped widescreen image.

This is 2007, everyone is pushing widescreen support, HD television and gaming, etc. For a major release like BioShock to not support widescreen viewing is kinda stupid.

I hope to hell they fix it ASAP.

The official forums has a 27 page thread about it with over 49k unique views And that number is rising by the minute.Its been Dugg at least three times,once by myself.

I am a regular at WSGF,and I'm quite pissed about it.

It does support widescreen, but in a very unusual and pathetic way.
    They better fix this or there will be many widescreen users walking on the streets with pitchforks and torches.

Hopefully that topic on the official forums will convince 2K to release a patch in the next few days. It should be a simple fix really.

I want to play the game, but I also feel that I'll be missing out if I don't wait for the widescreen support. Maybe 2K will make a statement or something and give me some hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan's Kitty View Post
    Hopefully that topic on the official forums will convince 2K to release a patch in the next few days. It should be a simple fix really.

I want to play the game, but I also feel that I'll be missing out if I don't wait for the widescreen support. Maybe 2K will make a statement or something and give me some hope.

Elizabeth said about 2 hours ago,that she would get a official statement ASAP.... I'm still waiting,as are MANY others.I have the game sitting here beside me now in the shrink wrap,but I am waiting,as I want my first run through to be perfect.

WTF! I really hope they're working on a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    They better fix this or there will be many widescreen users walking on the streets with pitchforks and torches.
    How amazingly disappointing. Let me know where and when the riot is starting.

I refuse to settle for that. I'm definitely waiting on playing the game until this issue is fixed.

If Elizabeth releases an official statement or anything on the official forums Glottis (Grim Fandango rules), be sure to keep us TTLG'ers updated!

is Best Pony
    Ahaha, if that's correct then it's a bit weak. Ken, I see you lurking there , any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Ahaha, if that's correct then it's a bit weak. Ken, I see you lurking there , any comments?
    She has only made that one comment Shodan's Kitty

Amazing how tight lipped they are on this HUGE issue.All they have to do is have C Kline (who swore we wide screeners would quote "get more") is tell
    us the FULL retail game does not butcher the FOV like the demo does,and this monumental todal wave would quickly receed.

Silence speaks volumes in my wifes business (customer service)

I get the distinct feeling that the peeps @ 2K are waiting for the programers in Aussie land to wake up and start dealing with this.No one at 2K Boston (got I hate the sound of that) can really comment I guess,as no one there worked on the pc version enough to say with any real authority whats what here... One thing is for certain,a simple yes or no about the full game not doing this FOV hack job would be great.

I would fully understand if its just the demo,but if the games that are sitting next to me at as cost of over 144 Cdn dollars does it....

That means I have to wait for a patch,for something that Farcry and HL2 and many other titles did straight out of the box,(and properly)years ago !!!

I'm curious...is the cropped aspect ratio present in both 360 and PC versions, or just PC?

Perhaps one can edit an INI file to correct the FOV or something.

Let's be patient and wait and see what they have to say. It's still quite playable how it is, and it's not going to hamper my enjoyment of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by polytourist97 View Post
    I'm curious...is the cropped aspect ratio present in both 360 and PC versions, or just PC?
    Both.

actually, now I'm glad europe gets it later.
    what a bummer. insane. the single most pathetic error you could make.
    games for windows, I lol'd, must be a sticker you can pick up in M$'s headquarter for free

btw: now everybody can see that gaming reviews, especially for the PC are worth nothing.

I have an widescreen lcd and was playing in 1024x768 cause I'm still building my new pc who should be able to show 1680x1050 native.
    therefore I did not see the difference...

I played in 1680x1050 and didn't really notice or care all that much.

It does explain why I felt the screen was too crowded, at first I just figured the FOV was too small.

Hopefully I'll just be able to edit the FOV in a .ini file and make its something wider like 90 or 100.

Still for a game released in 2007 thats a pretty stupid error.

Mannn... and I just bought a 24" widescreen monitor for BioShock, too.

Irrational.

I guess I'll wait until the weekend to play. I'm having a hectic week anyways and I'll be better prepared to relax and enjoy immersing myself in Rapture with this stress behind me.

Considering how long I've eagerly anticipated BioShock, it sucks to have the cold water of disappointment splashed on the release.

I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy the game itself, but between the disappointing "limited edition" packaging and this widescreen goof, I feel strangely deflated on this long-awaited day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkworm View Post
    It does explain why I felt the screen was too crowded, at first I just figured the FOV was too small.
    That's exactly what it is. Proper widescreen support includes a wider FOV. Otherwise, instead of getting "widescreen" you get "narrowscreen" - you see less instead of more.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkworm View Post
    Hopefully I'll just be able to edit the FOV in a .ini file and make its something wider like 90 or 100.
    According to the Widescreen Gaming guys, the normal Unreal FOV .ini settings don't work.

From this thread at the 2K board, 3 months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by ckline
    The game will render in full 16:9 aspect ratio, with no letterboxing unless your resolution is not true 16:9.

- Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock
    You will see more in widescreen. We use a different projection matrix; there is no squashing or stretching of the image involved.
    Folks, don't fret, there's no letterboxing in 4:3, nor in 16:9. The game will use the most bad-ass resolution available to your video card and monitor.

The HUD elements are adjusted appropriately align nicely in each aspect ratio.

-Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast