TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345671217222732374247 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

I too liked Event Horizon. I also hardly think it single-handedly caused the "downfall" of modern sci-fi films as it wasn't that successful commercially anyway.

Oh yeah, and while I'm not a big fan of Resurrection, I still think it's better than AVP - that was the abortion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ZymeAddict View Post
    Oh yeah, and while I'm not a big fan of Resurrection, I still think it's better than AVP - that was the abortion IMO.
    Thinking back, I have to agree. I think Resurrection wasn't as bad as Alien 3... but AvP was a complete clusterfuck.

Predator 1: "HEY WATCH THIS GUYZ LOL SUMERSAULT"
    Predator 2: "NO WAI AWESUM"
    Predator 1: "AAH ALEEIN IM BLEEDING"
    Predator 2: "LOL UR NOT ALLOWED THIS IS PG-13 LOLZ"

Ugh.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    alien resurrection ruined the franchise. and for that i'll never forgive it.

Alien³ already did that well enough, Resurrection was just continuing along the same path.

I know I'm in a minority, but I like Alien 3 a lot. As a matter of fact, I don't see what's supposed to be wrong with it. Of course it starts with a big "Fuck you!" to those who liked Aliens, but it does so to great effect, making Ripley feel way more alone than she'd ever been.

Can they stop with the "Dark atmosphere theme" already. Just because its dark doesn“t mean its going to be creepy, more like annoying. If they“d just make it SS2 like, whic well lit corridors and stuff... but still making it creepy, by making the game levels complex and... well you know what i mean.

Making a game with lots of dark spaces is becoming an really annoing trend

I agree. Dark != scary. Dark = lazy developers who will take darkness rather than other alternatives.

Then again, look at Resident Evil 5. It's set in an African town.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Alien³ already did that well enough, Resurrection was just continuing along the same path.
    lies, good sir. watch the director's cut sometime. it's by far a better movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Uhh, director's cut for which?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I know I'm in a minority, but I like Alien 3 a lot. As a matter of fact, I don't see what's supposed to be wrong with it. Of course it starts with a big "Fuck you!" to those who liked Aliens, but it does so to great effect, making Ripley feel way more alone than she'd ever been.
    Alien 3 is my favorite Alien movie. A breath of fresh air after that corny overhyped flick that was Aliens.

And I confirm that the Director's Cut is a must-see.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
    Alien 3 is my favorite Alien movie. A breath of fresh air after that corny overhyped flick that was Aliens.

And I confirm that the Director's Cut is a must-see.
    You say Aliens was corny, but Alien 3 wasn't

I concur

We're actively hijacking the thread but what the hell.

I too enjoyed Alien 3 and Event Horizon. Dont see whats that wrong with either of them.

Alien 3 also kinda turned back from the action orientated Aliens to the more creepy you-are-alone feeling in the original Alien. The quadrilogy all in all is a good one.

And Event Horizon? Whats there not to like about Sam Neil poking his eyes out? Or that guy ejecting himself out the airlock?

I like Sam Neill but I thought he was quite bad in Event Horizon. What was great about Aliens was it was a change of pace from the first film. I love both of them and the third one does have its good points however I hated Resurrection.

i meant the alien 3 DC. it's actually quite different from the original.

It's quite funny actually, if you go to IMDB forums there is a core group of David Fincher fans who flame anyone who says something bad about Alien3 to oblivion and swear on their mother's grave that it is by far the best Alien movie.

While I personally don't think it was as bad as most people do, I have to say I don't really go for Fincher's nihilistic vibe, even without the obvious studio tinkering.

I kind of would like to see how some of the earlier drafts would have turned out. Specifically this one by William Gibson:

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/alien3_gibson.txt

It looks to be a lot more action-based, at least what I've read of it.

as much as i loved aliens and i loved the setting, the storyline, and the concept, alien 3 was my first exposure to the series and i'd really rather not have had something too actiony. i like the whole lurking horror aspect of it. aliens had this in some moments, particularly the motion tracker scene towards the end, but also when they first enter the colony, and later when they enter the nest.

hijacking the hijack (sort of) i've actually managed to determine there's a correlation between the alien series and silent hill.

alien/SH1: the original in the series, arguably the scariest.
    aliens/SH2: popularized the series, introduced a change in mood.
    alien 3/SH3: not as bad as some people would have you think, and is an attempt to recapture the mood of the original.
    alien resurrection: sucked.
    silent hill 4: sucked worse.

Alien³ thoroughly delivered for me, and Resurrection was still an enjoyable 'graphic novel-esque' twist on the series, still nothing beats the first. Ridley Scott is the dawg!

Back on track, I just hope that someone can fill us in on some juicy Dead Space info revealing it is in fact the totally-separate-from-SS-series-and-perhaps-quite-good-game that I pray for... It has potential (dark=good if done well, naysayers you know this to be true). I just hope it doesn't poop all over it's predecessors, whether spiritual, direct or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I watched that first. So the alien hatches from an ox instead of a dog, and Golic releases it instead of whatever else happened.
    I still hate it for killing off every one of the Aliens characters, and the feeling of being alone is negated by her being surrounded by the prisoners, who are all idiots (except the doctor, Dillon, and ironically, 85).
    I'm reading Gibson's script now, but from what I know it features the aliens as a virulent disease instead of things that rape your face and eat their way out of your chest.

I watched that first. So the alien hatches from an ox instead of a dog, and Golic releases it instead of whatever else happened.
    I still hate it for killing off every one of the Aliens characters, and the feeling of being alone is negated by her being surrounded by the prisoners, who are all idiots (except the doctor, Dillon, and ironically, 85).
    But that's part of the point. Arguably she's even more alone because everyone around her doesn't believe her or sees her as someone to rape, at least at first. And I still think it was a masterstroke to put her in a place that is almost entirely without weapons. We've seen what an alien can do against well-trained, well-armed Space Marines. Now imagine what that same creature can do against a gang of high-security prisoners. Think she's got a chance?

I'm reading Gibson's script now, but from what I know it features the aliens as a virulent disease instead of things that rape your face and eat their way out of your chest.
    Yeah, I just read that too, I wonder what the heck he was thinking. Also, Ripley apparently doesn't show up because she wasn't officially part of the project at this point. Still, at least everyone of importance isn't killed off immediately. What exactly was the point of that anyway?

Actually, the version with the ox getting hugged and the crazy guy letting the bugger out is the script for the book of Alien 3. Another difference is that instead of a slithering little dog-thing (Runner), it's a big, royal guard (Praetorian).

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    You say Aliens was corny, but Alien 3 wasn't
    In Aliens, you got stereotypical wise-cracking marines, played by overracting actors, an evil and backstabbing corporate bastard (that obviously gets killed in the end) and an annoying screaming little girl. Even Sigourney Weaver, IMO a top-notch actress, was overracting quite a few times in the movie (can't believe she won awards for that).

I still like the concept of Marines VS Aliens though. I just don't like the execution.
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 24th Sep 2007 at 18:11.

Quote Originally Posted by ZymeAddict View Post
    Yeah, I just read that too, I wonder what the heck he was thinking. Also, Ripley apparently doesn't show up because she wasn't officially part of the project at this point. Still, at least everyone of importance isn't killed off immediately. What exactly was the point of that anyway?
    Alright, I just finished it, and I'm not sure if the guy writing it really got the aliens. He's explained the weirdness of their procreation in his script: the company has finally gotten their hands on some samples of alien tissue and is running wild with it trying to create a weapon, including a queen that farts spores into the central ventilation system instead of laying eggs. There seem to be multiple types of aliens, all trying to kill the humans but apparently not each other. Another type infects people with multiple chestbursters through biting. In fact, every chestburster victim/host has multiple chestbursters in this script. At one point, one of them comes out of a leg wound...
    I wonder how they were going to do Ripley though. She's comatose throughout the movie, but they do have to show her at some points.
    Also, am I wrong in thinking that the pulse rifle only fired in bursts, not single bullets, and nowhere near as accurate and powerful as it's depicted in this script?
    oh wait you said you read it
    did you mean the fact that it's treated as a virulent disease or the script itself?

Actually, the version with the ox getting hugged and the crazy guy letting the bugger out is the script for the book of Alien 3.
    If you say so. It's what I saw in the director's cut or special edition or whatever it's called in the Alien quadrilogy set.
    Another difference is that instead of a slithering little dog-thing (Runner), it's a big, royal guard (Praetorian).
    Those things are actually less threatening unless you're near them. They can't run up walls or fit in tight spaces because they're so bulky. But then, this wasn't in the movie I saw. Just the runner again there.

Yeah, the AvP2 Praetorian sucked much. Give me a Pulse Rifle and I'd go toe-to-toe with one any day.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345671217222732374247 ... LastLast