TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456781318232833384348 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

In case anyone is still interested in the original topic Dead Space is a console exclusive - Xbox 360 and PS3. PC gamers can look on.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Eyes View Post
    In case anyone is still interested in the original topic Dead Space is a console exclusive - Xbox 360 and PS3. PC gamers can look on.
    Well it's made by EA, so I'm not expecting it to set the world on fire. Good riddance I say.

Meh, I'm not surprised. Oh well.

What interests me is how they're avoiding any sort of HUD. Your health bar is actually that line of lights on the back of your suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Eyes View Post
    I bet it'll be on the PC sometime later, like Gears of War.

something along the lines of Eli Roth directing Alien would suit us perfectly
    Games Radar writers.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    looks to me like they're trying to cash in on the weird glowing masks deal a la the big daddies.

if this is on the PC i'll check it out, but if it's on the PS3 it doesn't exist as far as i'm concerned.

Ditto on this end.

If it is console-only there's no hope for me playing it. But it certainly looks intriguing (especially after those screenies - there's some lovely design work gone into this).

If the no-HUD is true, I can imagine it will be really quite terrifying. Imagine you can only see your health from those lights on his back (is that actually confirmed?) and the ammo on a display on your gun... in the dark surrounded by fast movement, or smoke maybe, obscuring your vision... Could be excellent. Now where's this official website? I want to see the trailer.

EDIT: Here's a decent preview, unlike the minimalistic Game Radar one... http://www.gamerevolver.com/article-...Previewed.html
    Last edited by utherdoul; 29th Sep 2007 at 06:41.

Dead Space is to System Shock as Splinter Cell is to Thief?

so basically and uninspired rip-off ? (although I liked SC1+3)

I am convinced that the creepiest moments in any game come when you have flickering lights, just illuminating swarms of enemies for an instant as they run towards you- all in total silence.

If you think about it, Splinter Cell is similar to Thief- inspired by it. This, in turn, is inspired by System Shock.

Wow, I'm really getting tired of generic plots. After reading the quick setup in the preview, I'm sure I've figured out the twist already. *sighs*

He looks like a cross between Solid Snake and Master Chief and looks to play like them as well. I really don't like all these glowing masked heroes at all.

The game seems interesting if not very original. I didn't like the GameRevolver preview . I wouldn't be comparing how Deadspace is like Bioshock but isn't like Doom or Halo. I could think of better examples but I guess not for their reader base.
    Last edited by Gaph; 29th Sep 2007 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    Wow, I'm really getting tired of generic plots. After reading the quick setup in the preview, I'm sure I've figured out the twist already. *sighs*
    Take a guess, what do you think it is?

I could always be wrongs, but this is what I think the twist is:

spoiler:
    The description in the preview describes the ship as a "planet cracker" that destroys and harvests dead planets. The necromorphs, being similar to a virus, probably don't show up as living organisms on any scans. What I think happens is that the USG Ishimura tries to harvest the necromorph planet, possibly destroying it in the process, and this leads to the retaliation and subsequent infection of the ship. Pretty much your usual Outer Limits human hubris storyline.
    Last edited by The_Raven; 30th Sep 2007 at 00:01. Reason: minor tweaking.

Interesting. We'll have to see, perhaps they're going to avoid cliches.

One could only hope, but I doubt it.

[straw man argument]I really wish game developers would either learn to create compelling worlds and write properly, or hire someone who can. I'm not talking about the approach used in Deus Ex, where a writer was hired to do some readables and some dialog; but the entire plot and all the characters were already done. I'm talking about a writer, with a firm understanding of narrative and interactive mediums, sitting in on design meetings with the team and offering their input. The really sad thing is that the only developer that I'm aware of that does this is Valve, and their games don't so much have a plot as they have a concept and some characters.[/straw man argument]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    The really sad thing is that the only developer that I'm aware of that does this is Valve, and their games don't so much have a plot as they have a concept and some characters.
    Not to hijack but I've always like how Half-Life handles their story. Maybe it's because deep down inside I believe that Marc Laidlaw has all the answers and they've just been stringing us along so far. I have faith eventually we'll find out what Gordon, G-Man, Xenomorphs, and Combine are all about. They always show you something cool and hint at something much more. Striders were impressive the first two times around but we've never seen the Advisors in action.

i don't think somebody called "advisor" is going to launch rockets at you
    and I think as soon as people stop buying Half-Life, they will maybe end the story. otherwise - not. $$$$$$$$$$, you know ?!

can't see any mention of the website, so...
    http://www.deadspacegame.com/

doesn't seem to be much there at the moment.
    Anyway, forget Aliens. This sounds more like The Thing.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    ooh, i do like that more.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    i don't think somebody called "advisor" is going to launch rockets at you
    and I think as soon as people stop buying Half-Life, they will maybe end the story. otherwise - not. $$$$$$$$$$, you know ?!
    He doesn't have to, he can fuck with my mind! Seriously though if I can start killing Striders by shooting a bomb on them, what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    can't see any mention of the website, so...
    http://www.deadspacegame.com/
    Thank you! I like decent interactive Flash sites, although this is a bit limited right now. It shows promise though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Anyway, forget Aliens. This sounds more like The Thing.
    Agreed, although more of 'The Thing' set on the 'Alien Resurrection' ship / base / whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey-Lo View Post
    Dead Space is to System Shock as Splinter Cell is to Thief?
    Spot on! Bet its going to be another generic shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by fetgalningen View Post
    Spot on! Bet its going to be another generic shooter.
    Well, even the much acclaimed Bioshock is a pretty generic shooter, if you get rid of the whole retro/underwater universe.
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 1st Oct 2007 at 18:37.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456781318232833384348 ... LastLast