TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891419242934394449 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

Taking the Death Toll
    ... okay, i want this game now. i just hope it's not horribly linear.

The trailier I saw reminds me of AVP2 which I'm playing right now.

Amazing game for it's time.

But Dead Space looks to me like it's going to be a fairly generic shooter just as AVP was.

hmm, looks.....generic.
    but I like SciFi and monsters. I assume this will be an "ps3 exclusive" ?
    'cause I think about getting an 360 just for "Brütal Legend"

Taking the Death Toll
    i'm witholding judgement until i see the finished product, but i want to say it doesn't seem too horribly generic... seems much more of a survival horror than anything else.

It seems to be placing emphasis on melee and short-ranged weapons over assault rifles and the like. Even if it is a shooter more than anything else, the melee-based system works well (Condemned) and is a fresh change from the usual gunplay.

I dunno. I can't see how a freaking 7ft muscle-bound giant in retro futuristic plate mail in which he can bunny-hop and run like the wind while wielding a freaking ranged plasma cutter as a weapon could possibly be survival horror.

Dragging up this old thread, but didn't think it deserved a new one.

Suposedly first 24 released shots, allthough they seem a lot like the gamesradar ones, but I didn't compare all of them, maybe there's something new (or maybe better quality).

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=50174

After looking at the shots and the trailer, which I hadn't seen before, so far this game just feels "meh", and the big-daddy-after-a-diet in space doesn't do much for me either.

Still Subjective
    Actually after the BioShock disappointment I'd be interested to see how this goes. I wish they'd shy away from making creatures humanoid in any way though. Why not have something totally abstract? The only reason to keep faces on them is if they are corrupted humans, which works well if done well - see SS2 and HL1/2.

Looks like Resident Evil 4 in space. A lot, even their gimmick of body part damage.

the trailer rocks. but thats what trailers mostly do. the only thing missing is lafontain doing his "in a world" thing.
    after the complete dissapointment that is blacksite area 51 i wont trust another trailer unless it contains at least 1 full minute of continious gameplay.
    screenshots are more meh. cant actually get a feel of play. enemies look cool though. but it gives me this "hey look im a dark and scary game. boo!" feeling and in my experience those games fail miserably in being scary.
    plus its a console game. :/

setting is really cool though. derelict infested spaceship. cant go wrong with that. at least i hope not. would be uber cool if you came across exactly 1186 enemies or less if more than one merge into a super enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Whoops, yeah, spelled it wrong. And I liked that movie. Not the best, but a hell of a lot better than the crap Hollywood churns out nowadays.
    IMO the movie is just like a typical Hollywood production. A few times I even thought it was supposed to be a comedy, not a thriller.

Taking the Death Toll
    I can understand the Hollywood comment, but come on, comedy?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I can understand the Hollywood comment, but come on, comedy?
    Do you remember how that dimensional drive looked? Quite silly and "computergraphicsish", and that scene with a man who flew from a ship's piece back to remaining ship

If they wanted to film something really serious they should learned from 1968' classic "2001: Space Odyssey", which even now looks more natural and is a true masterpiece.
    Last edited by 242; 5th Dec 2007 at 05:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaph View Post
    He doesn't have to, he can fuck with my mind! Seriously though if I can start killing Striders by shooting a bomb on them, what's next?
    Ooh, I know! Killing Striders by tying rope around their legs?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Do you remember how that dimensional drive looked? Quite silly and "computergraphicsish", and that scene with a man who flew from a ship's piece back to remaining ship
    uhhhhhh

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridVision View Post
    Ooh, I know! Killing Striders by tying rope around their legs?
    Ironically, this is the first thing I thought of when I first laid eyes upon the Striders in Half-Life 2.

I'm curious to see how Valve handles the Borealis ship. I mean, they spent an entire dialog on how it was "too powerful to exist", so if it's anything less than a floating Death Star I'll be sorely disappointed

On the other hand, if its cargo holds are filled with Celine Dion albums, then yes, it should be destroyed at all costs.

lol. exactly. that would motivate me for sure !

Taking the Death Toll
    You'd still complain about it though, I bet.

Dethtoll, have you had some big change in your life? You seem... different. I almost want to say mellow...

I hope the Borealis has a Portal gun. I don't care if it's an easter egg... it would be just awesome.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Dethtoll, have you had some big change in your life? You seem... different. I almost want to say mellow...
    Different how? I don't feel any different. And you know I still poke holes in stupidity whereever I see it.

Well, you used to avoid capitalizing letters.

Lurker
    Yes, I've noticed more coherent sentences also. I think he may be growing up!

This flowering of our dethtoll has not gone unnoticed.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891419242934394449 ... LastLast