TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035404550 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

Who's working on this? Anyone notable?

is Best Pony
    The devs may or may not be headed by these two.

Guys known for working on action adventure games... I smell an action game, you folks that are looking for survival horror will most likely be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I can understand the Hollywood comment, but come on, comedy?
    "You let me burn!" *woooshh!*

Taking the Death Toll
    Well sure, outside any sort of, you know, context, it would seem funny.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

New interview with the executive producer. TBH it looks like RE4 in space.

EDIT: New trailer too.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 1st Mar 2008 at 11:46.

The Alchemist
    I don't really care if it is RE in space or otherwise just a straight up survival horror shooter, it's got style and it looks scary as fuck and I'm totally digging this game. *hugs his ps3*

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    I don't really care if it is RE in space or otherwise just a straight up survival horror shooter, it's got style and it looks scary as fuck and I'm totally digging this game. *hugs his ps3*
    Not to mention that PS3 pickings are a bit slim, right? =p

The Alchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by a flower in hell View Post
    Not to mention that PS3 pickings are a bit slim, right? =p
    Not this year, actually.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    I'm totally digging this game. *hugs his ps3*
    What it's out already?

Pardon the necromancy, but I thought those interested in the game might find this short interview from Gametrailers to their liking: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34167.html

I don't know... It sounds like it's actually got a chance to turn out pretty nice.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Definitely looks interesting, I like the no HUD part. Mainly because it show they're serious about immersion.

It looks cool. I didn't notice it was coming to anything but PS3 until now. Still haven't seen anything to suggest it might be, let's say, worthy of it's own ttlg forum.

You know, this is almost fucking cool... http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34614.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/220099.html

Not scary at all, and the devs talk like bunch of 5 year olds excited about their new toy. Hope that Colonial Marines would do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Maybe we should wait until launch or a hands-on experience before making that statement? Granted, the footage you linked doesn't strike me as all that intense, maybe because of the whole stun-and-aim kind of fights, but I think it's premature to pass judgment on the game based off that.

Mister Science
    Looks scary to me, it reminds me of The Thing, same desolate feel and those are really sick creatures. I am really looking forward to this one.

i can't make out if it's gonna be a scary or gory game. scary as in "sounds and stretches of tension but no real action" or gory as in "silence, then 2minutes insane slaughter and disorientation". I hope for a godd mixture or even the possiblity to have different experiences depending on playstyle or loadout.
    there's just nothing I heard about "how" the game's gonna work....
    but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Am I the only one who thinks that a truly scary game requires immersion and immersion is more easily achieved using 1st person?
    At least a 1st person view will work better by having an 'in your face' attack scare.

I like the lit spine health gauge idea. But I don't think it'll improve immersion much, if any. In essence it's the same abstract thing as an HUD based health bar, only projected onto the avatar. If they're using a 3rd person view, I'd rather see some actual damage as feedback.

Which brings me to another thing: Why is a HUD considered to be bad? Sure they can be implemented badly, but so can non-HUD feedback mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by addink View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that a truly scary game requires immersion and immersion is more easily achieved using 1st person?
    At least a 1st person view will work better by having an 'in your face' attack scare.
    Oh, there's no doubt about that, first person is more intense. But third person can still be scary enough. When I realised I was too much of a pussy to play through the Shalebridge Cradle in first person, I crawled through it in third, and I was still terrified.

Which brings me to another thing: Why is a HUD considered to be bad? Sure they can be implemented badly, but so can non-HUD feedback mechanisms.
    The same thing you mentioned earlier - immersion. The whole idea of putting you in your character's shoes, suspending your disbelief. So even if the game made up a good, reasonable story for why your character had a heads-up display implanted onto their cornea, it's still easier for your to identify with them and immerse yourself into the game world if there are no such elements cluttering your view, elements which you have not experienced yourself in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    ... it's still easier for your to identify with them and immerse yourself into the game world if there are no such elements cluttering your view, elements which you have not experienced yourself in real life.
    Yeah I get that train of thought. And I agree with it.

However, it does totally ignore the fact that some real-life feedback is rather hard to relay back without translating it in some form of audiovisual (or vibrating in some cases) signals. Something as illusive as health has to be abstracted in some way or another. And I think it's still open to debate whether getting it as similar to real-life as possible is the way to go.

When I read a book, I'm not at all bothered by the lack of audiovisual stimulation, in fact it frees my mind to fill in the blanks. My mind's visualization can trigger a stronger emotion than prefab pictures do. Maybe, leaving some things simple and abstract, might work better than trying to visualize every detail but missing the basic emotion.

I do realize that videogames are a (partly by definition) audiovisual based medium, but that doesn't mean non-audiovisual communication is of no use.
    Last edited by addink; 4th Jun 2008 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by addink View Post
    Yeah I get that train of thought. And I agree with it.

However, it does totally ignore the fact that some real-life feedback is rather hard to relay back without translating it in some form of audiovisual (or vibrating in some cases) signals. Something as illusive as health has to be abstracted in some way or another. And I think it's still open to debate whether getting it as similar to real-life as possible is the way to go.

When I read a book, I'm not at all bothered by the lack of audiovisual stimulation, in fact it frees my mind to fill in the blanks. My mind's visualization can trigger a stronger emotion than prefab pictures do. Maybe, leaving some things simple and abstract, might work better than trying to visualize every detail but missing the basic emotion.

I do realize that videogames are a (partly by definition) audiovisual based medium, but that doesn't mean non-audiovisual communication is of no use.
    Oh, trust me, I understand what you're saying and I'm not suggesting that HUD's or other items of the sort should be done away with. I'm also not one of those people who claim that games should be "realistic", but just consistent with their own reality. I like my games to be believable in their own proposed universe, or, to paraphrase a former GWO poster called Master Nightfall: "suspension of disbelief should only have to occur once - when you start the game". Something that is true for books and movies as well, in my opinion. But I digress.

I personally prefer that games which boast with a greater degree of immersion have a minimal HUD. Obviously, for mechanics reasons, you can't do without a GUI, which is meant to replace certain senses and other sources of feedback that you do not have access to, as in real life. For instance, you could argue that an HP Meter is a way of measuring how much pain your character might be in (with 100% being none). But I like these indicators to be relatively easy to ignore, if I choose to, and I have to say I'm kind of fond of Dead Space's attempt at dissimulating HUD components into in-game objects.

c.f. many FPS where the ammo count is shown on the side of the gun, or King Kong where pressing a button gives verbal feedback on the amount of bullets left.

Taking the Death Toll
    How 'bout a steampunk FPS where a 90 pound British orphan in a porkpie hat carries belts of ammo for you and tells you when you should reload, and every so often complains that he's hungry (and that's why you assign a key to backhanding him?)

is Best Pony
    I'd buy it, guv'nor.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035404550 ... LastLast