TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

"Gav, may oy recommend pressin' the B key to switch to armour penetratin' rounds for tha' mech's pistons?"

"I'm terribly sorry Charlie, but I haven't the foggiest what "B key" is meant to rhyme with."

"Sorry gav. I'm 'ere for the immersion factor."

I'm sitting through the Longplay of MGS now, just to see what it's all about, and I've just reached a point a couple of hours in where one of the villains talks about pressing the circle button, and I'm like WTFF.

Even during tutorials I get whiney over in-game characters talking about the controls of my playing platform. I remember getting miffed by the Keeper instructor talking about the light gem being "the indicator on your screen", etc. The SS2 training too, for that matter.

Thankfully it never happens again in those games. I won't call it a design flaw, but it's not optimal. Not the way things should be.

--
    Larris

Taking the Death Toll
    The Metal Gear series are pretty much world famous for breaking the fourth wall. I chafe at shit like that myself, but with MG I got over it.

Metal Gear is a Kojima series, and quite frankly Kojima games need to be taken seperately from other games. I can't exactly put it into words.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magpie View Post
    Complaints
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    The Metal Gear series are pretty much world famous for breaking the fourth wall.
    Absolutely. There are quite a few instances like that...

Taking the Death Toll
    It goes back before Metal Gear Solid, too. Actually in the very first MG, Big Boss radios you and demands you turn off your system.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I remember when I first played MGS1, it was a rental copy. Ya know how they like to lend out games/videos/etc in non-original packaging.

I recall being told by Campbell (or whomever) that Meryl's codec frequency was on the back of the CD case, this of course had me in a panic because I didn't have the original case. Thank god for the internet.

Taking the Death Toll
    You know, when I first got to that point I didn't know I was supposed to look on the back. After about half an hour Meryl called me herself.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Metal Gear is a Kojima series, and quite frankly Kojima games need to be taken seperately from other games.

Taking the Death Toll
    Are you going to actually say something worth responding to or are you just going to be the prick you always are?

things have gotten a little .... messy:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/8...ce_062008.html

Still Subjective
    Looks great.

But didn't he mean gravity gun? I mean come on guys you're not fooling anyone.

I was thinking that too. "It's called the Telekinesis gun because it does like what your brain would do and levitate stuff, if it could" Except it can't so it's a gun that picks stuff up and uh...where've I heard that before? Yeeeeas. Regular bullet guns are magic missile guns actually, because if you shot projectiles with your mind that's what they would be called.
    I guess they could have some backstory that it's like the Psi Amp in SS2 or something. It doesn't matter that much but the creative prevarications of it all is funny ; "Here's an item that's not at all like the popular thing from Half Life 2, except it's exactly the same and you'll love it the same and buy our game!"

I don't really see the problem. If you liked it in Half Life, there's a good chance you'll like it in another game just as well. I love original and exciting "stuff" as much as the next person, but I see no problem with "borrowing" successful gameplay elements, and I think it's somewhat understandable that they wouldn't hit the headlines with "Yeah, our cool thing X is a total ripoff of Y from Z". Hell, gimme a complete DX clone, gameplay-wise, with just a new storyline and maybe some updated graphics, and I'll still get up in arms with excitement.

P.S. Here's some more in-game footage, with no pesky commentators clogging up the audio for once: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35460.html

I have to say I'm not too excited about the way the battles seem to go... appears a bit... systematic, steady and repetitive in nature.

1. Spot enemy and stop.
    2. Optional: apply stasis.
    3. Aim at "weak spot" and fire.
    4. Carry on to next encounter and repeat.
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

Not very dynamic or thrilling, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Ostriig; 24th Jun 2008 at 12:05. Reason: I could do with a drink.

...Y'know, the major difference between the gravity gun and the basic "pick-up, drop, or throw" mechanic a la the original Deus Ex is the distances and velocities involved. If we're going to call every manipulation mechanism a grav-gun rip-off, we'd all better be prepared for a LOT of them, because it really is a very basic function.

Still Subjective
    Yes, but now it's established as fun it will occur a lot.

So what if the difference is the distance and velocity - THAT's still the difference. It's a hell of a difference, and in addition there is also size - grav guns are likely to allow for bigger things to be lifted/thrown.

I don't mind everyone using it.

i aint happy about the....seemingly repetetive nature of encounters...but then again, the monsters didn't seem very quick or aggressive..on tourist difficulty settings maybe ? I'm more interested about those zero-g puzzles we just saw a glimpse off.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Looks great.

But didn't he mean gravity gun? I mean come on guys you're not fooling anyone.
    Or the ' kicker', Project Snowstorm had the ' gravity gun' before Half-Life 2 after all.

Still Subjective
    Link plz

I presume you mean Snowblind rather than Snowstorm?

Mobygames says:

Half-Life 2
    Released Nov 16, 2004

Project: Snowblind
    Released Mar 15, 2005

Mister Science
    I don't like this discussion.

//scratches head, but I thought that Project Snowblind was released before Half-life 2

Still Subjective
    Wrong.

The gravity gun is indeed just an extension of the usual pick up and thrown mechanic. This was certainly already further extended in System Shock 2 with the telekinesis. It's not really new, even in Half Life 2, as a mechanic itself.

What HL2 did differently was to couple the gravity gun with a more advanced physics model that can have a large effect on the world and thus the gameplay. And in addition it gave us the ability to throw things with damaging force.

Now that better physics are de rigueur any similar mechanic is bound to be compared, rightly or wrongly so.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 26th Jun 2008 at 12:33.

new videos and interviews from the pre-e3 events (?) pop up.
    it seems dead space will have dropped items (heatlh, credits, ammo,...) which you can then in turn use in a "store" system to buy/sell/upgrade. they did not go into detail if you just can pick up guns or save money for them but they did hint at "having to find special items" that make it possible in the store to get an "upgrade" or "new weapon". they repeated that ammo is scarce but no gameplay video indicated that, on the contrary, the players mostly shot themselves thru the level. we get to see a few different enemy types and a little backstory for dead space. only thing atm that I find interesting in the game is the "strategic dismemberment" (which I still have to see used properly), and the minimal HUD. I don't believe ANYTHING when devs talk about depth in gameplay/updgrades and that there will be scarce ammo. HAHAHAHA

producer mentions MassEffect/Bioshock as IPs they love but then again says that upgrades will be much more deep than just slot-swapping and that audiologs have been replace with VideoLogs (think blair-witch project style) and that you WILL meet other (sane) people along your journey.

You have to take videos with a grain of salt these days though. They mostly exist to con a certain kind of player taste ; "I like rapid fire action" "Don't worry! Here's some rapid fire action (with god mode and infinite ammo on)!" "I like scary stuff" "Don't worry! Here's a more moody video!"
    I raved about Stalker to a guy recently and he said he was disappointed it wasn't more actiony when he got it. He watched a video that was all firefights and thought that was the game. All he remembered about what I had told him was that I really liked it and was very enthusiastic. You could argue, quite successfully, that he was an idiot, but there's a lot of it about and nobody in marketing has any agenda whatsoever to reduce the idiocy quotient in the world. Appeal to as many people as possible, any way you can. Truth is irrelevant.
    So yeah, I'm having trouble getting a fix on what Dead Space is really going to be like. I still assume it'll be mostly nice looking RE in space. Could be cool. But I've got Far Cry 2 and Clear Sky dominating the second half of the year and I don't really see much else that I've got to have so far.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    it seems dead space will have dropped items (heatlh, credits, ammo,...) which you can then in turn use in a "store" system to buy/sell/upgrade. they did not go into detail if you just can pick up guns or save money for them but they did hint at "having to find special items" that make it possible in the store to get an "upgrade" or "new weapon".
    "Got a lot of good things on sale, Stranger!"

"Ah, I'll buy it at a high price!"

the only thing (marketing aside) that somehow feels genuine is the excitement of the exec.pruducer in some of the interviews. not WHAT he says but some of his reactions to the gameplay sound like he's really enthusiastic about it and that it's his baby. that makes the game somehow sympathetic. well, I hope they really get honors and money come release and it doesn't suck.
    STALKER won't be much of an big competitor, but FC2 will be. Or Fallout3.

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621263136414651 ... LastLast