TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732374247 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    I raved about Stalker to a guy recently and he said he was disappointed it wasn't more actiony when he got it.
    oh my god

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    I raved about Stalker to a guy recently and he said he was disappointed it wasn't more actiony when he got it.
    Was this guy Brock Sampson? Otherwise he sounds like a tool.

I don't know, but judging by the clips on youtube I think he'd be Brock Samson's biggest fan. He makes short films where he murders scores of faceless 'terrorists' and other minions in gruesome ways. I still cannot figure if it's all a big self aware joke or not.

Strategic dismemberment...there was a similar game mechanic in The Suffering games. Shooting the heads off of enemies would render them effectively blind and deaf, just swinging wildly. Shooting off legs reduced mobility, and arms made their attacks useless.

Taking a break
    So I just watched two out of the three gameplay trailers, and am I the only one who thinks that the fact it's TPP makes it incredibly retarded? There's absolutely nothing this actually brings to the gameplay, and in return you can't see 1/3rd of the screen and the immerion's pretty screwed.

Oh well at least it has inventory.

I watched an E3 presentation, and it was really very uninspiring. Especially given that the gameplay was supposed to show off "strategic dismemberment", yet the player spent most of the time failing to do any such thing (at least, not that I could see).

The monster charged and knocked the guy over about 4-5 times, but refrained from ever attempting to inflict damage in any other way, making it seem like no particular threat. Meanwhile the player ran around activating various effects, but failed to do the very thing he was supposed to be demonstrating.

Eventually (and it took so long that I was well and truly bored) the player managed to remove one limb, whereupon the monster fell over, and the player ran off without a second glance, making a mockery of the statement that you must tear the creatures limb from limb in order to kill them.

Maybe my eyes (or the resolution of the video) were deceptive, but right now I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse planned demonstration of a game feature. I'm not intending to form an opinion of the game based on it -- I'm quite willing to believe that it was just a giant balls-up, and that the game will turn out to be far better than this demo made out -- but I give the presentation a F for FAIL.

Oh, and what the heck is that inventory interface? Just because it's physically projected into the game world, we're supposed to forget that we're pointing at icons on a grid instead of holding the items in our hands? Immersion depends upon suspension of disbelief, and part of me is pretty sure I can suspend disbelief better if the game and I both just agree that inventory management is going to be an abstraction of reality, rather than trying to force an overtly game-like interface into the 'reality' that the rest of the game is trying so hard to present.

Part of me is willing for the first part to be proven wrong, mind. (Both parts think it's weird, though.)

(And, uh, what is the inventory projected onto, in any case?)

Still Subjective
    Did I mention that one of the head honchos at EA is touting this as EA's first survival horror and that he considers BS to be the antecedent and not SS2. And he hasn't played SS2. I don't think he is aware of it actually (unbelievably).

Another clueless suit, what a surprise...

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the game. the atmosphere/creatures certainly interest me, gameplay....i'll wait for some more information.
    but what i did see in the videos was some bigger monster which could shield itself from your shots, so blasting thru won't be an option all the time.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Still looks like Resident Evil 4 in space.

And I'm fine with that.

Taking the Death Toll
    As am I.

Sorry for the repeat if it's been posted before, I only quickly browsed the last two pages.

I found through Ars Technica that GameTrailers has a new vid that was rejected by the ESRB as too gory. The pace and tone of it are definitely reminiscent of Shock 2, imho.

I kinda have hopes for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by raph View Post
    Sorry for the repeat if it's been posted before, I only quickly browsed the last two pages.

I found through Ars Technica that GameTrailers has a new vid that was rejected by the ESRB as too gory. The pace and tone of it are definitely reminiscent of Shock 2, imho.

I kinda have hopes for that one.
    Delicious. Though I'm still in two minds about the combat pacing and variety. Despite having started frothing at the mouth over the KOTOR 3 MMO bullshit, Dead Space and, as of E308 footage, Mirror's Edge are two EA games that I'm actively interested in. It makes me feel kind of... unclean.

On a sidenote, the ESRB can "reject" content? I thought their only job was to rate it.

The Architect
    They can refuse to rate something? shrug.

Shadowcat, you've put into words everything I was thinking while watching the video. Only thing that's missing is the big question - why is this 3rd person at all? I think the producer's nephew had the idea of putting a health meter on the guy's back, and noone was allowed to change it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Only thing that's missing is the big question - why is this 3rd person at all? I think the producer's nephew had the idea of putting a health meter on the guy's back, and noone was allowed to change it.
    What was the last big hit horror game, that the majority of its competitors have been imitating since? Resident Evil 4.

I wouldn't expect any less from EA, even if they have become dramatically better within the last year or so.

They can refuse to rate something? shrug.

Shadowcat, you've put into words everything I was thinking while watching the video. Only thing that's missing is the big question - why is this 3rd person at all?
    Same reason why res evil or tomb raider is third person, it makes more sense for this kind of gameplay, look at the vids... i think the antigravity jumping and when e.g monsters drag you wouldnt work as good in first person. Third person is also much easier to control on a console than first person view.

Hydroponics deck, being taken over by alien matter which you need to destroy? It seeming more like SS2 every day.

If it's released on PC, I'll probably buy it. If not, I couldn't care less.

Taking the Death Toll
    I don't see why not. Developers and publishers have begun to realize that there's a viable market in "the other platform."

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I don't see why not. Developers and publishers have begun to realize that there's a viable market in "the other platform."
    I thought it was PS3-exclusive, but I may be thinking of something else.

Their website says "Available on: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC-CD"

Though I'm guessing they meant PC DVD. Still, that's a confirmed PC launch.

I agree about the third-person view. It just seems like that Cuisinart-ray weapon (thanks Calvin and Hobbes) would be a whole lot less clumsy to use from a first-person perspective (at least with a mouse and keyboard).

But then I guess if it was an FPS they wouldn't be able to show off their nice character model and inventory system they worked so hard on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonamel View Post
    Their website says "Available on: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC-CD"

Though I'm guessing they meant PC DVD. Still, that's a confirmed PC launch.
    Nice! I'm actually interested in this now. The plasma cutter isn't what I had thought from the articles- I imagined a futuristic welding torch for melee, but it seems more like a gun.

The Architect
    Tomb Raider is 3rd person because of the hourglass.

And I have no idea what res (I assume Resident) Evil is.

I could argue that being dragged around by the leg would work better in 1st person.

Tomb Raider is 3rd person because of the hourglass.
    Hourglass? It's third person because you have to see exactly where you land when you jump etc, gameplay wouldnt make sense at all in first person.

And I have no idea what res (I assume Resident) Evil is.

I could argue that being dragged around by the leg would work better in 1st person.
    you wouldnt see yourself and what has really happened, it'd be much less visual, in resident evil this is important as well, that you see the impact on your character etc. But the biggest plus is of course the controlls which is far better in third person on a console.

Will be interesting to see how the controlls in Mirrors Edge will be, they could be onto something.. what sucks about first person is that you feel like a floating camera in most games.
    Last edited by vurt; 29th Jul 2008 at 00:19.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217222732374247 ... LastLast