TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318232833384348 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    What HL2 did differently was to couple the gravity gun with a more advanced physics model that can have a large effect on the world and thus the gameplay. And in addition it gave us the ability to throw things with damaging force.
    Psi-Ops did that too, though, and was released before HL2, and had a more impressive physics model as far as I'm concerned (despite being a PS2/Xbox/PC multiplatform title).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Maybe my eyes (or the resolution of the video) were deceptive, but right now I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse planned demonstration of a game feature. I'm not intending to form an opinion of the game based on it -- I'm quite willing to believe that it was just a giant balls-up, and that the game will turn out to be far better than this demo made out -- but I give the presentation a F for FAIL.
    Agreed. The presentation was dreadfully boring, and the twinkle trailer wasn't much better.
    Did I mention that one of the head honchos at EA is touting this as EA's first survival horror and that he considers BS to be the antecedent and not SS2. And he hasn't played SS2. I don't think he is aware of it actually (unbelievably).
    BS?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Still looks like Resident Evil 4 in space.
    Yep, that's exactly what the game looks like to me, unfortunately. When the game was accounced about a year ago, I was excited and hoped it would be System Shockish, but I've been gradually more and more convinced that I will probably not enjoy this game much.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by vurt View Post
    Hourglass?
    What he meant by that is, in his opinion, the use of the the 3rd person perspective in the Tomb Raider games is for oogling the feminine figure of the protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
    BS?
    Bioshock? Bullshit?

I'd much rather play Resident Evil 4 in space than Bioshock in space...

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Bioshock?
    Ah, right, thanks. For some reason I could only think of "Broken Sword", but at the same time there was no chance whatsoever that's what he meant
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I'd much rather play Resident Evil 4 in space than Bioshock in space...
    I don't. While Bioshock wasn't nearly as good as the SS games, I still enjoyed most of it a great deal. Just some flaws here and there.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
    BS?
    BioShock. Sometimes I'm apologetic when using acronyms but in the context of Dead Space, EA, survival horror and System Shock 2 if you don't know what BS is you just haven't bothered.

What are the actual chances that dead space is going to be as good as its potential? Seriously? I'm so cynical these days (and BioShock hasn't helped that any) that I can't see that many new big games being any good. I think the games market needs to expand a bit more so that even niche games make a profit so devs can go out on a limb. The problem, as I perceive it, is that even with an interesting gameplay mechanic the games end up being trite, poorly realised and repetitive or short. It's like there is no real love for the game anymore.

What are the actual chances that dead space is going to be as good as its potential? Seriously? I'm so cynical these days (and BioShock hasn't helped that any) that I can't see that many new big games being any good.
    I can sympathize 100%, I feel much the same way. The only game that looks promising to me is Borderlands, and even that is kind of iffy.

is Best Pony
    Warren Ellis, RPS reveals, has just announced that he wrote 'a bunch of the groundwork, backstory and structure' to Dead Space. Colour me massively more interested than I was five minutes ago.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Seriously? Warren Ellis? Wow.

Now I have to check this out.

Clearinghouse
    Good news.

First real impressions of gameplay that I've come across so far, I think.

And so here is the first confounding paradox of Dead Space: although the presentations of the production team utterly convinced me they had created a truly original science fiction survival horror story, at no point did anything in my three thirty minute playtime sessions of Dead Space reinforce that conviction. Dead Space pulls atmosphere and ideas from all four Alien films, Paul Verhoeven's gruesome science-fiction flicks, John Carpenter movies both awesome and awful, and semi-stinkers like Event Horizon and Screamers, but the team seems to think the industrial bays of Dead Space are completely different from those of Aliens or Terminator because the color scheme is brown and gray instead of blue or green.

And of special note, EA being EA:

Perhaps only at Electronic Arts—a company that sports licenses, long-established IPs, and rigorous bureaucratic orthodoxy have made into the eighth largest software company in the world—can Dead Space be called original without a certain amount of Simpsonesque finger-twiddling, eye-darting, and lip-pursing. In fact, my willingness to take the team at their word and consider Dead Space cutting edge worked against my success when I finally played: it took me twenty minutes to realize that those lovely lit x-boxy looking cases scattered everywhere were, of course, breakable crates with helpful stuff inside.

As far as EA bashing goes, that is a pretty pathetic attempt. Basically any AAA title is marketed as if it's supposed to be the end all of its genre. A journalist shouldn't even bother writing down what the marketers are telling him, especially if he's going to get a hands on 90 minute playtest.

But perhaps even worse is quoting it outside of its context.

The article itself is far from negative btw (perhaps that's why it isn't really bashing EA). It does focus on the lack of originality only to go on explaining that that doesn't really matter, because it apparently is excellent scary fun.

*grumble* there exists no such thing as an awful John Carpenter Movie..
    Last edited by addink; 12th Aug 2008 at 01:46. Reason: 'go on' isn't spelled 'on'

Quote Originally Posted by addink View Post
    *grumble* there exists no such thing as an awful John Carpenter Movie..
    Chyeah!! Before 1990.

This game looks completely unoriginal and totally unengaging.

+1

this game has hordes of brainless monsters with the same repetetive attacks making them spill their intestines all over your shiny mining uniform.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/download?v...ay_960x540.mov

i think the gore looks awesome. but that will only be important if they go for Quake/Doom style design. if they aim for SystemShock this game rather be good because I couldn't stand (== buy) another bastardized game like bioshock.

and I could live without 3rd person.

I don't trust gameplay videos. They don't show the game as a whole, and often they end up showing something radically different than the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I don't trust gameplay videos. They don't show the game as a whole, and often they end up showing something radically different than the final product.
    Case in point: Bioshock.

All too true, for once.

Bioshock's issue isn't that it's not SS2. It is SS2- but it's like a friend who went away, and when he returned, he had a blank stare and a row of ugly red stitches on his forehead. The only thing left to do is put a pillow over his face.

Bioshock taught me to avoid any sort of game footage or screens and go in cold (unless it's a Valve game, which have always been worth following because the payoff at the end is good.) This way I'm less disappointed if the game turns out to be not what it says it is (Bioshock), or potentially pleasantly suprised if the game is better than I thought it'd be.

I didn't follow Bioshock too closely before launch, but I remember seeing the first gameplay footage and it was pretty much the final product without a lean button. Can someone explain?
    Last edited by Taffer36; 14th Aug 2008 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffer36 View Post
    I didn't follow Bioshock too closely before launch, but I remember seeing the first gameplay footage and it was pretty much the final product without a lean button. Can someone explain?
    As redrain85 said:

I just watched that video (the E3 2006 demo) and the Hunting the Big Daddy videos again, and here's what I noticed.

* Player isn't constantly attacked
    * Splicers are less chatty
    * Lighting was less ambient . . . rather it was darker, and moodier
    * Texture resolution on some objects seemed higher
    * The "temp" Little Sister voice was better than the final one, sounded like a real little girl instead of a Lisa Simpson wannabe
    * Little Sisters didn't have glowing eyes or buzzing voices, and sounded sick and pathetic with deep shadows under their eyes - which drew a lot more sympathy from me
    * Little Sisters could die
    * Some gore was removed (e.g. Little Sisters coughing up blood after drinking, Plasmids spewing puss/juice and looking rather gross)
    * Plasmid containers looked like ordinary consumer products, not jewel-like baubles
    * Adam was both a resource for using Plasmids, and also a currency (a much more intriguing idea, do you spend your hard-earned Adam in order to acquire other items?)
    * As large and obstructing as the HUD elements were back then, they looked better
    * People complained about the glowing beam the cameras projected, the color screaming out what state they were in . . . but the final game is even worse for that
    * The Big Daddies didn't change the color of the glow coming from their helmets (I'm glowing red with anger, just in case you were too stupid to notice I'm attacking you LOLZ)
    * Speedboost and Teleportation Plasmids demonstrated, that were cut
    * Leaning was in

I probably missed some things. But there were many touches in those early videos that were cut from the final game.
    To which I added:

-Supply scavenging more important- less like a shooter, more like a survival game
    -Slower-firing guns
    -Smaller fights- with the above, that means more personal conflicts
    -The above means better use of AI- it's not a whirlwind firefight.
    -No reliance on cheap combos (I'm looking at you, EB+Wrench!)
    -Might be my memory acting up, but I don't think there was as much hit blurring and crap
    Basically, rather different in gameplay and atmosphere. Take the pistol, for example. In the preview, it's a single-action revolver, fires about once every second or so. The player needs to aim and use correct ammo, and has a hell of a fight against a single Spider splicer. In the final version, it's a rapid-fire death-dealer that can take on hordes, even if you don't have the right ammo, by aiming for the head.

91% in Xbox World 360...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=198352

"..claiming that Resident Evil developer Capcom should take note, Because EA can teach them a thing or three about survival horror."

As much as I distrust glowing reviews I am quite interested.

"Usually the space hopping is combined with a lack of oxygen. If you've not been bolstering your O2 supplied via the BENCH upgrade system, the time limit can make for a tense scramble for the next airlock."

Score!

Keep in mind that CVG did give a 90% to BS as well...

While everyone else gave it 100%, yes.

Well it's not a CVG review. Like they wrote, and as i wrote, it's a review in the latest Xbox World 360 (which i've never heard of).

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318232833384348 ... LastLast