TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419242934394449 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

So, I was grumbling earlier about spending that 6 quid on the PC Zone issue for the DX3 article - turns out there's a Dead Space review in here, too. Haven't actually read it yet, and since dinner just got here, I'm gonna leave it for later, but here's the short version:

They gave it a score of 81, with the following summary comments (hope the short quotes won't be a problem):
    Quote Originally Posted by PCZ
    Graphics: Coherent and sharp
    Sound: Excellently atmospheric
    Multiplayer: Nada

+ Magnificent UI
    + Great jumpy atmosphere
    + Dismemberment is excellent
    + Great weapons
    - Dogshit mouse controls
    And another short comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by PCZ
    The organic gunk and gravity play of Prey, the movement and presentation of Resi 4, and the storyline of Bioshock - a classic humstrung by awful controls.

How it stacks:
    Bioshock - 96%
    Dead Space - 81%
    Resident Evil 4 - 57%
    You can each draw your own conclusions about their scoring. I'll have a look over the full article later.

FZ (swedish site) played the game for 3 hours, they did not agree that the game was scary at all. They liked the "strategic dismemberment" in the game, it was one of few things that was original they said. "horror the american way", i guess it's the typical Doom3 "horror" (which indeed isnt scary in any way).

- Dogshit mouse controls
    This is a deal-breaker for me. If it's like Resi 4's mouse support (or lack thereof) then EA isn't going to get my money.

damn, that sounds devastating. got it on preorder......will wait some more but I already had my mouse pointer over the "cancel" button after reading this.
    even if the game was only "doom" horror (which is no horror) the biggest fear I ALWAYS have is the "don't let it be a stupid console-port where you cant remap your keyboards buttons and jerky controls"...

Anyone seen the television commercials for this? I caught them on Adult Swim, and they make the game look awesome. Can't wait to sometime get a 360.

opposable thumbs say, yes, it's scary. nothing more though.
    and no word on keyboard controls, i guess they played the xbox version.

K i just skimmed through all 9 pages of this thread. I coudln't remember if i had posted in here or not. I wasn't too interested in this game till i found out it was coming out on PC and that there were comic strips out to tell you the story.

Watch them. It kind of reminds me of the Broken Saints series on Newgrounds. Good stuff. And they've got a big flash site up that isn't the main site that gives you even more backstory.

Most of whats been talked about here is the gameplay and whatnot. but I'm usually the story junkie and If the game can live up to the atmosphere and finesse of these little snippets they've released pre-release then this is going to be an amazing game.

If it turns out to be a dismemberment simulator and leaves out the story, I"ll be very disappointed.

But i'm optimistic.

Animated Comic Issue #6 w/ Links to the first 5 issues
    Flash Site

Taking a break
    They actually said "Dogshit" in a major magazine?

6.5/10 in OXM

4.7/5 in CCC http://www.cheatcodecentral.com/xbox...acereview.html

B+ http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170597&p=4

I still have the feeling this is another Doom3 hmm.. same kind of reviews (some reviews claiming it's the scariest thing ever, some saying it's rather mediocre and not scary at all.)

Thing What Kicks
    Eurogamer - 7/10

For some reason, I never bought the hype on this one, and I'm kinda glad I didn't.
    Besides which, this is an EA title, right?
    You just know it's got SecuROM.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    PC Zone has always quite informal, very "working class" British.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Besides which, this is an EA title, right?
    You just know it's got SecuROM.
    Likely, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be an activation limit. I.e. the recent PC port of Mercenaries 2 only had a CD check.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Yes. I was rather disappointed with the author's recurring dog fetishism, since his main term of comparison for the game was a "three-legged dog [that] still runs around and licks his dick". Now, that's quite alright on the internet, but I have these misguided, antiquated expectations of a quasi-academic language when it comes to actual printed publications. After all, if I wanted a reference manual for this sort of metaphors, I could just check some fellow TTLG members' posting histories. For free.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    It's been an honour providing such services.

There, CVG's review: they gave it 91%.

One point higher than BS. How surprising.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php...=259466&page=3

7/10..

"Back-story is dished out via text, audio and video logs left lying around, a narrative method which can't help but recall Doom III and BioShock." yeah it all started with Doom3

Unfortunately game reviewers' collective memories kind of only go back as far as 2001 or so. We've known this for years. It's still irritating, but it's nothing new.

Ugh, the reviewer never said that back-story via text, audio and video logs started with Doom 3.

Why are you lot even making an issue of this?
    Last edited by N'Al; 14th Oct 2008 at 06:42.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Why are you lot even making an issue of this?
    why are you making an issue over our issue? i have issues with reviewers that doesn't remember or even knows about, the probably, best PC game of all time.

Thing is, from what's written in the review, you have no way of telling that the reviewer doesn't remember or even knows about, as you're saying, the 'best PC game of all time'. All the reviewer is doing is not mentioning it.

You're making implications about things that aren't even there, a.k.a. mountains out of molehills.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    You're making implications about things that aren't even there, a.k.a. mountains out of molehills.
    But if was there, if he had mentioned SS2 (instead of a crap game such as Doom3) i wouldn't have an issue with it to begin with would i?

And stop making such a bid deal out of this or "a.k.a. mountains out of molehills" as you so nicely put it. I didn't want a 2 page disussion about it tbh.

But...() If a (music)reviewer forgets to mention (or doesnt even know about) that the song he's reviewing is a cover of the Beatles, and instead he mentions a really crappy band that made the same cover, any Beatles fan would be pissed. It's the same thing. But let's move on. It's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by vurt View Post
    It's not the end of the world.
    No it's not. It's just that, in general, there's many reasons for getting annoyed (or at least slightly peeved) with games reviews nowadays, but chiding a reviewer over something he hasn't even done is not one of them.

Also, clearly, SS1 did the whole audio and video log thing long before SS2; did you just choose to not remember or know about that?

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on that.

In CVG review, they said it has "the atmosphere and storytelling of BS and the horror of System Shock 2".

Whatever that means...
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 14th Oct 2008 at 08:45.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
    In CVG review, they said it has "the atmosphere and storytelling of BS and the horror of System Shock 2".

Whatever that means...
    That one I can understand, sort of. Bioshock was intended to have atmosphere in gobs- I mean there's only so much you can do with a standard futuristic sci-fi ship like in SS2. Too bad they fuck it all up by having 10,000 enemies around the corner at all times. As for storytelling, well I guess some faggots think Bioshock's storytelling (note: that doesn't have anything to do with the story itself) is somehow superior to SS2? I dunno, the only thing it did better than SS2 was the two points where you finally met a majour character face-to-face, albeit with a window between you. Other than that SS2 was superior.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm probably going to give this a shot sometime in the future. It looks fairly decent.

Platform-wise, I don't really give two hoots about the Securom/activation bullcrap on the PC because EA actually yielded when it came to Spore's DRM fiasco (unlimited uninstall-reinstalls, yay); but I'm prolly going to get the PS3 version anyway. My PC's quite out of spec now and I don't intend to upgrade it this year.

Oh yeah, and that reminds me. I need to get my PS3 back from Sony's service centre.

Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419242934394449 ... LastLast