TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 52 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space - A new System Shock?

Dead Space - A new System Shock?

http://www.developmag.com/news/28464...ery-much-alive

If Randy Smith and Doug Church are involved, I'm gonna get it on day one.

Still Subjective
    What is it about though? Playstation Universe has it down as a PS3 FPS.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 14th Sep 2007 at 07:58.

A sci-fi survival horror FPS with those two in the team, that'd be neat... It definitely sounds worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    http://www.developmag.com/news/28464...ery-much-alive

If Randy Smith and Doug Church are involved, I'm gonna get it on day one.
    Hm, why do you think they'd be involved?

edit: I see now.

BR796164
    We shall see how this is going to develop.

Taking a break

my glass is half empty

PS3?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    looks to me like they're trying to cash in on the weird glowing masks deal a la the big daddies.

if this is on the PC i'll check it out, but if it's on the PS3 it doesn't exist as far as i'm concerned.

Unless I'm mistaken, were these not the people who were rumored to be making System Shock 3 a few months back? Apparently they decided to make a separate IP instead. It does seem to be based on the same concept though.

So basically their goal of "relying more on original IPs" consists of "renaming old IPs"

Well technically the System Shock series is their own original IP since EA acquired Origin before System Shock. Not sure when something original becomes old, though.

Renaming of IPs does make sense if they plan to divert from the original setup. Otherwise they'll just feed the endless forum discussions between people who take the game by its own merit, and others focusing on the differences with the original. And EA has other means of getting media attention than referring to an existing IP.

Like the title.
    Unsure about the streetglow™ armor.

Not using the name System Shock gives them a lot more leeway in regards to art direction, theme, and game mechanics. It also means they won't have to put up with shrill diatribes about ruining the System Shock franchise, which they'd probably get regardless of whether the game was any good.

Still Subjective
    If people think it has anything to do with System Shock it will be viewed through a Shock tinted microscope, just like BioShock has. Someone may as well just get on and make a SS3 and be done with it.

Just an FYI, this is nowhere like System Shock. It's 3rd-person, for one thing. It also focuses more on melee than ranged weapons- you're an engineer, not a soldier. They even compared it to SS2- they wanted something less of an RPG and more survival horror.

Looks pretty cool to me. Event Horizon was the shit.
    Last edited by catbarf; 22nd Sep 2007 at 17:48.

Event Horizon was the shit.
    Fix'd

There was another Shock "rip-off" game announced shortly after Bioshock received all sorts of rave reviews at E3, and I can't for the life of me remember what it is right now. I think its premise was that aliens were attacking the spacecraft you were on, and that you as the protaganist had to make a choice: as to whether or not you wanted to replace enough parts of your body to turn you almost completely into a machine, in order to defend against them. It was billed as an FPS/RPG hybrid.

Anyone remember the name of this game and who is developing it?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    Fix'd
    Whoops, yeah, spelled it wrong. And I liked that movie. Not the best, but a hell of a lot better than the crap Hollywood churns out nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by redrain85
    There was another Shock "rip-off" game announced shortly after Bioshock received all sorts of rave reviews at E3, and I can't for the life of me remember what it is right now. I think its premise was that aliens were attacking the spacecraft you were on, and that you as the protaganist had to make a choice: as to whether or not you wanted to replace enough parts of your body to turn you almost completely into a machine, in order to defend against them. It was billed as an FPS/RPG hybrid.

I vaguely remember something like that, but I can't for the life of me remember which game it was.

Quote Originally Posted by redrain85 View Post

I think it has a thread in this section. Can't remember the name.

Sounds like Space Siege, by Gas Powered Games. No, it isn't a FPS/RPG; it's closer to Dungeon Siege.

EDIT: Actually, catbarf, you could look at Event Horizon as one of the possible reasons for the degradation of the sci-fi horror genre. It was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, whom many consider to be a hack. He went on to make other "landmark" sci-fi horror movies as Resident Evil and Alien versus Predator. Outside of sci-fi horror, he did Mortal Kombat and Soldier. I can't really say I like his movies; some of them are passable, though.
    Last edited by The_Raven; 22nd Sep 2007 at 19:16.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    see i disagree with you there raven. i think event horizon was paul anderson's one good movie, the one he got lucky with. everything else is utter shite (though AvP is nowhere near as bad as alien resurrection. that movie is an ABORTION)

Ding! Dethtoll gets twenty points.

EDIT: Actually, catbarf, you could look at Event Horizon as one of the possible reasons for the degradation of the sci-fi horror genre. It was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, whom many consider to be a hack.
    I agree he is the very definition of a hack. I remember looking forward to Event Horizon when I saw the preview but the movie was terrible. The premise had potential but everything else (acting, script, editing was terrible). It also seemed like giant portions of the movie were missing.

Anway on topic: Doug Church? Count me in!

That's pretty much my take on the movie as well.

On the other note, I have not heard anything about Doug Church being involved with this project. I do know that he's involved with Spielberg with his projects at EA, but that doesn't mean he's working on this one.

I for one thoroughly hope that SS3 isn't converted to this project, because another System Shock with Bioshock-esque graphics (although an improved, more complicated SS2-style interface) would be droolworthy.
    Anyway I think it will be a separate project because of these:
    Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    FROM HERE. In this horror-filled sci-fi first-person shooter, mankind meets aliens from another world, and survival becomes as much about mastering fear in the darkness as it does about eliminating the threat.
    The SS series isn't about aliens and (I think / hope) they wouldn't make a 'spiritual successor' to the SS series and include aliens... It'd get fans in an uproar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    FROM HERE. In what is most certainly a misunderstanding spawned from the ignorance of gaming executives, 2K Games has forbade Irrational Games' co-founder and lead designer Ken Levine from talking about his former System Shock games while on a press tour for the upcoming BioShock.
    Perhaps because they don't want Bioshock creators to mention anything about a project that is in essence unrelated to Bioshock and currently being worked on by another team...

Finally, have a look HERE and you will see that (although from a magazine article a year old) EA renewed the SS licence and apparently have a team working on it. I think they'd be foolish to reveal such information only to decide to change the licence from one that will have a massive fan-base to something that'd alienate (ha!) SS fans...

Of course, this is all speculation, but it seems that that's all we can do until someone buys the Game Informer mag with 'exclusive' Dead Space info... Whoever does, please post info here!

EDIT: I liked Event Horizon, Alien Resurrection and Soldier...
    Last edited by utherdoul; 23rd Sep 2007 at 00:45. Reason: addendum

I liked Event Horizon, Alien Resurrection and Soldier...
    You're a monster.

Sounds like Space Siege, by Gas Powered Games. No, it isn't a FPS/RPG; it's closer to Dungeon Siege.
    That's it. Thanks for reminding me. Though, I thought it was an FPS/RPG. Crud. I was wrong about that. Well, it could still prove interesting.

Oh, and I actually kind of liked Event Horizon. But it's definitely the only Paul W.S. Anderson film that I even remotely admired. (Well okay, I lied. I also got a kick out of Mortal Kombat.)

Page 1 of 52 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast