TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training in Trinsic - Britannian Thief Part 1

Permanently Enlarged

Training in Trinsic - Britannian Thief Part 1

As some of you already know, I've been grabbing some screenies of various towns in Ultima for a series of FMs. Well, I've finally begun construction on the first one, the town of Trinsic, circa Ultima VII. All I've gotten down is the guard tower (DromEd has been throwing hissy fits lately), so it'll take a while, but I intend to make it as "hostrically accurate" as possible. Plus, since I've graduated I've had a lot of free time on my hands, and I've gotten bored with Guild Wars, so you taffers should be able to plunder the great City of Honor soon enough.
    Last edited by RavynousHunter; 4th Oct 2007 at 16:43. Reason: giving this a more informative title

Cool! A big Ultima fan giving you a thumbs up here.

"...poor, poor Avatar!!!"

Permanently Enlarged
    I'm thinking of starting off with Trinsic, Jhelom, and Britain. I was also thinking of adding Skara Brae in later on, yes, the haunted one, and maybe Buccaneer's Den.

How about some screenies?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    I'm thinking of starting off with Trinsic, Jhelom, and Britain. I was also thinking of adding Skara Brae in later on, yes, the haunted one, and maybe Buccaneer's Den.
    I'm a huge Ultima fan too, I started with the original back in 1981 and stayed with it through VI, played I-V on the Apple II and VI on my first PC. Also played both Underworlds of course. I look forward to playing these missions when they're done!

I'm assuming you're planning this as one city per mission? Otherwise it's doomed to fail, at least in the Dark engine. Maybe such an ambitious project would be better suited to TDM?

Iolo sings: Ho eyo he hum!
    Last edited by Yandros; 29th Sep 2007 at 08:25.

Permanently Enlarged
    of course theyre gonna be in different missons! thatd be way too much friggin work!

Permanently Enlarged
    I know this is double post, but I consider it more of a bump, for those who are curious as to how production is going.

I've finally nailed down how I'm going to be designing the mission, instead of creating the town walls first and then having to go thru all the hassle of resizing them and whatever to fit the town, I'll be creating the innards first, like the Fellowship Hall, the infamous Stables (recently cleaned), and whatnot, then building the walls around that along with the guard posts. Also, if you would deign do so, you will be able to go up onto the walls by way of the four guard towers, but it wouldn't be a good idea.

I've finished the guard tower that you start near, and am currently working on the stables, trying to get them to realistic dimensions. Thanks to Matthew and his scanned town maps, that'll make my job much easier. I'll be putting up a screeny of the guard tower soon, after I do some polishing. Just remember this is a W-I-P, so all screenies shown are subject to change with or without notice or a humongous hammer to the face.

The Architect
    Do you want to give this thread a more descriptive title, RH?

Permanently Enlarged
    Done and done. Oh, and before I forget, heres the guard tower I promised you dudes.

Note: I had to turn LightBright on because when I saved the screenies, it turned out all black even at max gamma setting.

Ingame gamma doesn't affect screenshots. You need to boost the actual image gamma using an image editor before you upload them.

I don't know if you consider that an early (rough) shot or not, but you desperately need more detail in the tower, or at least a better texture. RTW textures would do nicely for that.

Permanently Enlarged
    I know that gamma doesnt affect screenies, the damn things turned out ALL BLACK. There was nothing to enhance. As for the tower, yeah, that is a rough design, and I'll make use of different textures in the "finished" product, thats just for use as a placeholder for now.

And excuse my noobisness, but what is RTW?

PS: You might not be able to see it, but the tower does have small windows, but I do still plan on adding to it more in the future.

I hope you actually make new textures and objects based on the graphics of Ultima VII. And btw, your tower looks a bit "fat". You should probably make it higher or thinner.

Permanently Enlarged
    Well, it is an up close shot, so it looks like that. Trust me, itll look thinner when I get the walls in and whatnot, but it might get taller. Also, I'm gonna hafta move the stables further forward so I can put the walls in.

Oh, and BTW, anyone know a good way to make roads as sort of an "overlay" over the original dirt aside from making a small air brush that has that texture set?

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post

And excuse my noobisness, but what is RTW?

I think Yandros means RTCW: Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Yes

Permanently Enlarged
    Know off-hand where I might be able to acquire them then? Every little bit helps!

Buy the game? Seriously, it's a great game and can probably be had for $5 these days. I think that's what I paid for a used copy a year or two ago.

I've also used some of them in my recent FMs (What Lies Below and Dance With The Dead).

One of my life regrets is not having played any of the Ultima games.

Your idea sounds very promising. I'd like to play the end result. Hopefully it'll make up for not having played Ultima.

Just a few suggestions for your tower:
    1- Adding frames to your doors and windows do wonders in making structures look more finished. The simple way being creating a solid brush with the size 6x3x9 (because your door is 4x8 and ussuming your wall is 2 feet thick) and placing a 4x3x8 airbrush in it. I'd suggest making it wood, as it looks good with stone.
    2- Custom textures. But if you don't want to do that. There is a version of the stone texture you've used in the "Ruined" family that is covered with moss. That might look good too.
    3- Placing metal plates behind the torches (using airbrushes).

This was only my 2 cents. It's your mission and you can do whatever you like with it. I'm sure I'll enjoy playing it anyway you make it.

Immortal
    FM in Progress: Bane III
    Previous FMs: CoSaS III- THE NINE YEAR SLEEP (content released), Keep of Deceit, Cult of the Damned and A Keeper's Betrayal.

[QUOTE=theImmortalThief;1653634Just a few suggestions for your tower:
    1- Adding frames to your doors and windows do wonders in making structures look more finished. The simple way being creating a solid brush with the size 6x3x9 (because your door is 4x8 and ussuming your wall is 2 feet thick) and placing a 4x3x8 airbrush in it. I'd suggest making it wood, as it looks good with stone.

Immortal [/QUOTE]

I allways use a solid brush with the dimensions 5x9 for doorframes. and place the bottom on floorlevel, then copy it and make it air, and make the dimensions 4x8, so you allso get a nice threshold. IMO it looks better, allso for the floortextures ( the transition( ?) from outside to inside )

Quote Originally Posted by theImmortalThief View Post
    One of my life regrets is not having played any of the Ultima games.
    Um, it's not too late...

Especially for an Immortal.

Voice Actor
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I don't know if you consider that an early (rough) shot or not, but you desperately need more detail in the tower, or at least a better texture.
    That depends on the degree to which he wants his product to match the original level of detail. The only Ultima I played was the Underworld I & II but they were not very detailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutpack View Post
    And btw, your tower looks a bit "fat". You should probably make it higher or thinner.
    That depends on the building's purpose and the budget of its builder.

Don

Good point, Don. I (well, really gumdrop) used TR1 textures in Mask of Agamemnon, the largest of which was 64x64. Context and intent must be considered here as well.

"It's in the way that you use it."
    -- Eric Clapton

Quote Originally Posted by dlw6 View Post
    That depends on the degree to which he wants his product to match the original level of detail. The only Ultima I played was the Underworld I & II but they were not very detailed.
    Ultima VII is renowned for its attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by dlw6 View Post
    That depends on the building's purpose and the budget of its builder.
    It's a tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    tow·er (tou'ər) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    1. A building or part of a building that is exceptionally high in proportion to its width and length.

Permanently Enlarged
    Yeah, like I said, its more of an outline for a tower than anything, least at this stage. Most everything's an outline at this stage, once I get the buildings and crap placed and in the right proportions, then I'll flesh out the details and nuances.

Permanently Enlarged
    Bump.

If you guys want to know the story, as it has been written, you can download the document here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast