TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3944495459646974798485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2440

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hiatus View Post
    Jermi, do you have any idea why it happens (it seems to happen both on Nvidia and ATI card - I have ATI and seen it myself - maybe WinXP is common factor here?).
    I've seen that only once and that was with XP and 8800 GTS. I have absolutely no idea what causes it.

Zombified
    it seems to be an xp and/or old drivers related issue,at least for ati cards-on my systems (both running x1950 series cards under xp), the 9.11 driver has the issue,while 10.2 runs ok..funny thing is that 9.4 does NOT have this issue (despite being older than 9.11) when used with ati hdxxxx cards (under xp).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 30th Dec 2010 at 09:00.

You should make it so that the option to disable the windows key is ignored or disabled by default when in DromEd. I can't imagine anyone wanting to have their windows key disabled while using DromEd, and it's not immediately obvious why the key has suddenly stopped working.

Frankly, I think you should make the option disabled by default anyway, as I never hit the windows key by mistake while playing, but I'm sure some clumsy people will find it useful.

I am not clumsy!

AFAIR I was the one to make a request to add this option to Timeslip, and I am not clumsy, either !

... but I'm not a frequent (or even rare) DromEd user, as well...

Happy New Year, folks!

Well, I never said take the option away, just don't enable it unless someone specifically wants it.

ddfix 1.5.11

ddfix 1.5.11 binary package / source package
    • New parameter ModulateShift. D3DTOP_MODULATE is replaced by D3DTOP_MODULATE2X or D3DTOP_MODULATE4X. Effectively, levels are multiplied by 2**ModulateShift without any posterization.
    • Dynamic gamma.
    • Dynamic bloom threshold.
    • New parameter FlipVSync.
    • Fixed scouting orb aspect ratio.
    • Widescreen memory patches now use SafeWrites, which may behave better in some systems.
    • New parameter SafeMode.
    • Max sky intensity in mis files is ignored. No need to run t2skies.exe / t2stars.exe for FMs anymore.
    • Default for TripleBuffer changed from 0 to 1.
    • Default for ZBufferBitDepth changed from 16 to 24.
    New ini file parameters:
    Code:
    [Main]

;Set all options to safe values and ignore the rest of this file. In safe
    ;mode widescreen is not available. Set one of the originally supported
    ;display modes in cam.cfg. Boolean.
    ;SafeMode=0

;Use vsync. Boolean.
    ;FlipVSync=1

;Multiply levels by 2**ModulateShift.
    ;ModulateShift=0

[MemAddr]

;MaxSkyIntensity=
    ;OrbAspectCorrection=
    ;MaxSkyIntensity=

[PostProcessing]

;Adjust gamma dynamically based on average intensity. Float. Resulting gamma
    ;is DynamicGamma*(ln(averageIntensity)-3)+userGamma, clamped to [0.5, 1.5],
    ;where averageIntensity is samped from the screen (range [0, 255]) and
    ;userGamma is set by the user from the keyboard or menu. The reasonable range
    ;for DynamicGamma is something like [0, 0.5].
    ;DynamicGamma=0

;Adjust BloomThreshold dynamically based on average intensity. Boolean.
    ;DynamicThreshold=0

;The rate of decay per second for average intensity. Affects both dynamic
    ;gamma and dynamic threshold. Float 0 - 0.99.
    ;DynamicDecay=.5

;Resulting threshold is DynamicMult*averageIntensity+DynamicAdd. Float.
    ;DynamicMult=1.5
    ;DynamicAdd=8.0
    Below, a comparison from one of the dark areas in "Ambush" with different ModulateShift values, and gammas adjusted so that the overall brightness matches.
    Last edited by jermi; 7th Jan 2011 at 03:17.

Dynamic gamma? How does that work? (Please explain, but in a non-technical manner.) I'm guessing it's sorta like bloom or HDR?

I notice you mention zbufferdepth. How does that help? I know thief 2 has a zbuffer on off option in the options menu, but I have never understood what that is or what it does...

Changing the Z buffer bit depth from 16 to 24 increases the accuracy of depth calculations. Usually there's no visible difference, but sometimes when banners are placed too close to the wall, this fixes the flickering.

Dynamic gamma is simply that gamma, which is normally set from the keyboard or the slider in the menu, is adjusted automatically based on the overall brightness of what is rendered on-screen. Assuming DynamicGamma is set to a positive value, when looking at a dark corner the gamma is adjusted up making the screen brighter, and when moving from the dark corner to a sunlit street, gamma would automatically adjust down making the screen darker. (And the opposite can be achieved as well, by setting DynamicGamma to a negative value.) So yes, it sort of resembles HDR global adaptation.

Just set DynamicGamma to some big value, such as 0.5, to make it obvious what it does.

hey jermi!

wow, what an impressive update (just by reading changelog, haven't tried it yet)!

1st of all, many thanks for adding VSync toggle (finally!)

Q1: could you tell us sth more about ModulateShift. i.e. what is its purpose etc and why you implemented it? Judging from the screenshots, it seems to "blend" colors in the textures, giving them a bit blurry (but more "coherent") feeling? What the purpose to get rid of these quite large distinctive color patches, and "even" things (texture colors) out a bit? "Effectively, levels are multiplied by 2**ModulateShift without any posterization." - could you elaborate it a bit, please (i.e. levels of what? posterization?) ModulateShift values can be 0 (default), 1 or 2, right (not mentioned in ini)? (btw: you also missed it from "New ini file parameters" list in your post - just a note).

Q2: (not really a Q), but dynamic gamma (and dynamic bloom threshold) seem interesting: can't wait to see them in action - hope they'll help somewhat (gamma) with dark areas and LCDs which aren't exactly contrast kings. Anyway, could you share the reason(s) behind implementing them? Also, what is DynamicDecay supposed to do/have what effect (decay of what)?

Q3: you already explained the reasin for new default for Z buffer depth (24-bit now), and what is the reason for new default for TB (=1 now)?

Q4: what was wrong it scouting orb AR? Just incorrect in widescreen? Don't use SO much (if at all) so haven't noticed anything wrong with it.

... yes, quite a lot of Q's but this update seems very, very interesting but kinda difficult/demanding to understand and then appreciate properly, at least for less technical folks, like me , and I do want to understand these new options properly, that's why I'm asking..
    Last edited by Hiatus; 6th Jan 2011 at 07:28.

I'm not sure why, but thief 2 crashes immediately with this version. Before I was using 1.4.5 If I set SafeMode=0 to 1, then thief 2 runs fine, but otherwise it crashes.

System specs:
    Windows 7 x64 Professional Edition
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.70 Ghz (I think it's an X2 anyway, but it's a dual-core athlon 7750 according to windows)
    ATI RADEON 4650, CCC 10.12
    4 GB of RAM

Albert
    Same problem as above, but it'll crash with a rainbow screen on the first map of T2, with safe mode on even.

Very quick test: no crash for me with 1.5.11 - same/identical settings in ini as in 1.5.10.

GPU: ATI Radeon X1950 with legacy Cat 10.2 (based on "normal" (for all cards) Cat 9.3), WinXP SP3 (32-bit), the rest pretty irrelevant.

Here's my ini:

Code:
    ;Sample initialization file for ddfix. The settings are the defaults and 
    ;intentionally commented out. (Uncomment a setting only if you need to change 
    ;the value.)

[Main]

;Set all options to safe values and ignore the rest of this file. In safe 
    ;mode widescreen is not available. Set one of the originally supported 
    ;display modes in cam.cfg. Boolean.
    ;SafeMode=0

;Enable per-mission ini files. Boolean.
    ;For <name>.mis, the per-mission ini file name is <name>.ddfix.ini. 
    ;A per-mission ini file may contain [PostProcessing] and [Fog] sections.
    ;EnableMissionIni=1

;Prevent multicore related crash. Boolean.
    ;MultiCoreFix=1

;Register lgvid.ax every time game is started. Boolean.
    VideoFix=0

;Disable the Windows key. Boolean.
    ;DisableWindowsKey=1

;Refresh rate. Integer. (0 = driver default.)
    ;RefreshRate=0

;Use vsync. Boolean.
    ;FlipVSync=1

;Number of vsyncs per flip. Increase this number to decrease frame rate. 1-4.
    ;FlipInterval=2

;Frame rate limit in frames per second. Float. (0 = unlimited.)
    ;FrameRateLimit=30

;Menu screen update delay in milliseconds. This is needed only if vsync is off.
    ;(0 = no delay.)
    ;MenuUpdateDelay=22

;Menu/video screen aspect ratio. Float. (0 = fullscreen.)
    ;MenuScreenAspect=1.33333

;Anisotropic filtering for the first texture stage. Boolean.
    ;AnisotropicFiltering=1

;Triple buffering. Boolean.
    TripleBuffer=0

;Number of bits for the Z buffer. 16 or 24.
    ;ZBufferBitDepth=24

;Enable gamma correction. Boolean.
    ;EnableGamma=1

;Field of view (FOV) in percent. Integer.
    ;FovModification=100

;On-screen size (in percent of the screen size) of the selected item and weapon 
    ;in Thief. 
    ItemSize=10

;Fix the variable water transparency problem in T2 by forcing opaque alpha.
    ;WaterAlphaFix=1

;Multiply levels by 2**ModulateShift.
    ;ModulateShift=0

;Fix the T2 limb rendering bug. Boolean.
    ;Turn this off for T2X and other FMs with custom reverse-Z limb models.
    ;Default for T2:
    ;LimbZBufferFix=1
    ;Default for others:
    ;LimbZBufferFix=0

;Place some surfaces in system memory instead of video memory. 0, 1 or 2.
    ;0 = all surfaces in video memory.
    ;1 = menu in system memory. In case of any menu screen corruption.
    ;2 = menu and overlay in system memory. In case of any in-game UI corruption.
    ;UseSysMemOverlay=0

;Any 16-bit color that is _not_ used by the in-game overlay.
    ;OverlayColourKey=0xffdf

;Blit the overlay to the backbuffer with each Unlock() call. Together with 
    ;UseSysMemOverlay=2 this can result in a poor frame rate. Boolean.
    LayeredOverlay=0

;Turns on the 32 bit texture loader and some other things such as global fog 
    ;autodetection. Boolean.
    ;TextureReplacement=1

;Replacement texture path. Must include the trailing backslash. Relative paths 
    ;are relative to the game main directory.
    ;TexturePath=res\ddfix\

;When TextureReplacement=1, the MemAddr section can be used to set the memory 
    ;addresses to patch. The following executables are currently detected and memory 
    ;patches applied: 
    ;TG v1.37, T2 v1.18, SS2 v2.3, Dromed v1.37, Dromed2 v1.18, ShockEd v2.12.

[MemAddr]
    ;CopyTex=
    ;MipMap=
    ;CreateVidTexture=
    ;TextureExists=
    ;CreateFile=
    ;BltPrimary=
    ;Resolution=
    ;VertResLimit=
    ;FovModification=
    ;AspectCorrection=
    ;ItemSize=
    ;OrbAspectCorrection=
    ;MaxSkyIntensity=

[Fog]

;Enable fog fix. Fog must also be enabled in the game options. Boolean.
    ;Enable=1

;Global fog. 0 = no, 1 = autodetect (requires TextureReplacement=1), 2 = force.
    ;Global=1

[PostProcessing]

;Enable postprocessing. Boolean.
    ;Enable=0

;Modulation for the unbloomed frame buffer. 0xrrggbb.
    ;Base=0xffffff

;Overall saturation. 0-255. (255 = full saturation, 0 = grayscale.)
    ;Saturation=192

;Bloom intensity. 0-255. (0 = disable all bloom processing.)
    ;Bloom=255

;Bloom also the user interface. BloomUI=0 only works with the game executables, 
    ;not the editors. Boolean.
    ;BloomUI=0

;Gain from bloom level to the next. 0xrrggbb. (0x404040 = zero gain.)
    ;BloomPersistence=0x404040

;Bloom saturation. 0-255. (255 = full saturation, 0 = grayscale.)
    ;BloomSaturation=192

;A per-level zoom-in factor. Integer. (0 = no spread.)
    ;This makes the bloom spread out (positive values) or in (negative values).
    ;BloomSpread=0

;Colors below this will cause no bloom. 0xrrggbb.
    ;BloomThreshold=0x202020

;Trailing and afterimages. 0xaarrggbb. (0 = no trailing.)
    ;The rgb components modulate the trail color, while the alpha component governs 
    ;how much of the bloom from the last frame is blended into the current frame.
    ;BloomTrail=0x80ffffff

;Shift left for the bloom source. Integer 0-8.
    ;The result of applying threshold (which is actually a subtraction), is 
    ;multiplied by 2**BloomShift.
    ;BloomShift=0

;After applying BloomShift, modulate the result with the original frame buffer. 
    ;Boolean.
    ;BloomShiftRemodulate=0

;Adjust gamma dynamically based on average intensity. EnableGamma must be 1. 
    ;Float. Resulting gamma is DynamicGamma*(ln(averageIntensity)-3)+userGamma, 
    ;clamped to [0.5, 1.5], where averageIntensity is sampled from the screen 
    ;(range [0, 255]) and userGamma is set by the user from the keyboard or menu. 
    ;The reasonable range for DynamicGamma is something like [0, 0.5].
    ;DynamicGamma=0

;Adjust BloomThreshold dynamically based on average intensity. Boolean.
    ;DynamicThreshold=0

;The rate of decay per second for average intensity. Affects both dynamic 
    ;gamma and dynamic threshold. Float 0 - 0.99.
    ;DynamicDecay=.5

;Resulting threshold is DynamicMult*averageIntensity+DynamicAdd. Float.
    ;DynamicMult=1.5
    ;DynamicAdd=8.0
    EDIT: with TripleBuffer=1 (the new default): also no crash. Haven't tested with completely unaltered default ini yet..
    EDIT2: no crash, either with completely unaltered default ini.

@jermi: just to make sure: the only valid values for the new setting ModulateShift are 0 (default), 1, 2? Please add a note to ini about this (can be quickly forgotten if not documented anywhere). And, which value do you use personally, and which one would you recommend to use, and why? (as I understand, ModulateShift=1 gives as a result D3DTOP_MODULATE2X, and ModulateShift=2 results in D3DTOP_MODULATE4X being used, right? The visual differences can be seen in the included screen, but could you comment on them a bit, please?).

btw: just tested the new setting, FlipVSync (my previous obsession ), and it definitely works for me: when set to 0 (and uncommented, of course). framerate quickly jumps to hundreds of fps in numerous places (especially when staring at a wall/ground etc), so all I can say is the new option definitely works as intended .

Next on, to test ModulateShift, and dynamic gamma/dynamic bloom threshold.

"Max sky intensity in mis files is ignored. No need to run t2skies.exe / t2stars.exe for FMs anymore."

reason(s) for this change? Won't it have any adverse effects (like stability problems, etc)?
    Last edited by Hiatus; 7th Jan 2011 at 05:02.

What the purpose to get rid of these quite large distinctive color patches, and "even" things (texture colors) out a bit?
    It's called posterization, and in Thief it happens because many missions are very dark. The whole idea for ModulateShift came from looking at histograms for screenshots from "Ambush", where typically the upper half (or more) of the intensity range is practically unused.

Depending on monitor type, settings and ambient lighting, the player is often forced to hike up the gamma to be able to see anything, and that causes visible posterization.

"Effectively, levels are multiplied by 2**ModulateShift without any posterization." - could you elaborate it a bit, please (i.e. levels of what? posterization?)
    RGB levels. Which of course implies that the number of posterization levels is multiplied as well.

dynamic gamma (and dynamic bloom threshold) seem interesting: can't wait to see them in action - hope they'll help somewhat (gamma) with dark areas and LCDs which aren't exactly contrast kings. Anyway, could you share the reason(s) behind implementing them?
    Dynamic threshold was a feature I left out of the initial bloom implementation because I wanted to keep things simple. But I hate to waste perfectly good code so now seemed like a good time to clean it up and put it back in. After that, dynamic gamma was just a few lines of code. Actually it was Starke who reminded me of this whole thing by requesting it.

Also, what is DynamicDecay supposed to do/have what effect (decay of what)?
    It controls how quickly dynamic threshold and gamma adapt to changes on screen. It works like exponential decay.

what is the reason for new default for TB (=1 now)?
    Triple buffering has many advantages, and only one disadvantage (that some people don't like the lag). So I think it's a better default. Also, earlier with a 8800GTS I noticed that it worked out-of-the-box with TripleBuffer=1, while with TripleBuffer=0 I had to change "max frames to render ahead" to 0.

what was wrong it scouting orb AR? Just incorrect in widescreen? Don't use SO much (if at all) so haven't noticed anything wrong with it.
    Scouting orb is rarely used, but having the source code made it very easy to do this fix. So the problem was the squashed shape of the scouting orb view in widescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I'm not sure why, but thief 2 crashes immediately with this version. Before I was using 1.4.5 If I set SafeMode=0 to 1, then thief 2 runs fine, but otherwise it crashes.
    In that case it should be easy for you figure out which parameter is causing it. These are the values set by SafeMode=1:
    Code:
    [Main]
    VideoFix=0
    DisableWindowsKey=0
    EnableMissionIni=0
    RefreshRate=0
    FlipVSync=1
    FlipInterval=0
    FrameRateLimit=0
    MenuUpdateDelay=0
    MenuScreenAspect=1.33333
    AnisotropicFiltering=0
    TripleBuffer=0
    ZBufferBitDepth=16
    EnableGamma=1
    LimbZBufferFix=0
    WaterAlphaFix=0
    UseSysMemOverlay=0
    OverlayColourKey=0xffdf
    LayeredOverlay=0
    TextureReplacement=0

[MemAddr]
    CopyTex=0
    MipMap=0
    CreateVidTexture=0
    TextureExists=0
    CreateFile=0
    BltPrimary=0
    Resolution=0
    VertResLimit=0
    FovModification=0
    AspectCorrection=0
    ItemSize=0
    OrbAspectCorrection=0
    MaxSkyIntensity=0

[Fog]
    Enable=0

[PostProcessing]
    Enable=0
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Same problem as above, but it'll crash with a rainbow screen on the first map of T2, with safe mode on even.
    What's a rainbow screen?

@jermi: just to make sure: the only valid values for the new setting ModulateShift are 0 (default), 1, 2? Please add a note to ini about this
    Yes and will do.

And, which value do you use personally, and which one would you recommend to use, and why?
    Mostly the default, sometimes I use ModulateShift=1 with very dark missions. If you can see posterization of low intensity colors or sky gradient banding, then consider setting ModulateShift=1. ModulateShift=2 is probably too much for anything other than testing.

(as I understand, ModulateShift=1 gives as a result D3DTOP_MODULATE2X, and ModulateShift=2 results in D3DTOP_MODULATE4X being used, right?
    Yes.

"Max sky intensity in mis files is ignored. No need to run t2skies.exe / t2stars.exe for FMs anymore." Won't it have any adverse effects (like stability problems, etc)?
    There should be no adverse effects whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    It's called posterization, and in Thief it happens because many missions are very dark. The whole idea for ModulateShift came from looking at histograms for screenshots from "Ambush", where typically the upper half (or more) of the intensity range is practically unused.
    Oh, I see. I've already talked about this problem back in 2008 - when ddfix 1.2.x was just out (about visible posterization especially in dark/er missions/areas), and that ddfix and its 32-bit color rendering made it more visible (especially with higher gamma required in dark areas). Vanilla 16-bit with dithering somehow worked quite well in "masking" this issue (it was probably dithering itself - I've been always wondering why LGS devs implemented dithering in T2 - maybe to combat posterization is dark areas, too - in Thief 1 - which doesn't use dithering it's very, very apparent in dark places - also see the screens from the links below - some are from TG). Of course, I didn't know it was called posterization, back then, but I've noticed it right from the start (since starting using ddfix to play missions with dark areas). See this post linked to below - it starts a topic about the issue, which continues on through several next pages, intermixed with other conversations - please read it, if you are interested - I've actually re-read it today, and it was quite interesting; I've completely fogotten about it since then/2008 until I've recalled it today (I think the screenshots I had made in this post were from inside areas of OM no. 2, "Shipping and Receiving", AFAIR - and some included in other posts are from TG, too, as already mentioned).

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1714186

I'm glad you took some step to try to solve/eliminate this issue to some degree, after all this time. I think I'll revisit "Shipping and Receiving", with ModulateShift set to 1 and 2, just to see how it looks now.

===

btw: regarding LayeredOverlay=1 setting - does it have any effect/do sth in Thief (1/2) or is intended only for SS2? I ask because I'm used to setting it to 0 in T1/T2, as I'm afraid it has some performance hit, when =1 - does it? Can I safely set it to 1 for T1/2 (together with UseSysMemOverlay=0) and have no performance hit?
    Last edited by Hiatus; 7th Jan 2011 at 08:45.

Zombified
    ddfix should detect whether you are running ss2 or not,and enable/disable LayeredOverlay as needed.if you uncomment it and set it manually,you are basically just overriding the autodetect (useful for testing).leave it at autodetect or set it to 0 for thief (its a fix for ss2 inventory,so you do not really need it when running thief)..

Jermi:

I found the problem. Apparently thief didn't like having all the entries of [MemAddr] with the semicolon in front. So I uncommented them all, and added 0s for each entry and that seemed to make thief 2 run.

Albert
    Ah, that helped me as well, sneaksie.

However, I've still got a rainbow screen, and darkwidescreen won't install. I remember you saying that the new DDFIX doesn't need the widescreen patch, or does it? However, it's the rainbow screen (And "The requested screen mode is not set" in big letters at the middle-top of the screen). I'd take a picture, but I'm kinda busy right now. Maybe what I've said will be enough?

EDIT: Is it possible that the ddfix you've made is defaulting to the large resolution you've set it for, Jermi?

Albert
    Okay, so I finally got it working, and it was simply that I changed the cam.cfg resolution to my monitor, as well as in the ddfix.ini file. They were both 800x600 before, and it kept crashing, but it runs fine at 1366x768... Okay?

PS: What's the Max sky intensity variables? I just commented it out, finding that the game doesn't crash, but still, isn't there a certain number of real numbers?
    Last edited by Albert; 7th Jan 2011 at 20:46.

regarding LayeredOverlay=1 setting [...] Can I safely set it to 1 for T1/2 (together with UseSysMemOverlay=0) and have no performance hit?
    If that were the case I would have made it the default, but unfortunately there is a performance hit. Of course with UseSysMemOverlay=0 it's probably negligible.

Okay, so I finally got it working, and it was simply that I changed the cam.cfg resolution to my monitor, as well as in the ddfix.ini file. They were both 800x600 before, and it kept crashing, but it runs fine at 1366x768
    Well, the ini file doesn't have a resolution setting anymore. And 800x600 should work. But as long as you got it working everything's lovely.

PS: What's the Max sky intensity variables? I just commented it out, finding that the game doesn't crash, but still, isn't there a certain number of real numbers?
    You mean MaxSkyIntensity in the MemAddr settings? That's a memory offset to an instruction that we patch to make the game ignore the "max sky intensity" setting in the mis file. That setting is actually not used with the original STARS.BIN, but messes up the way STARS.BIN from t2stars/t2skies is supposed to work.

No ddfix GUI?

I also noticed that you don't include GUI with your zip packages. Is it because you assume everyone already has it, or you don't like the GUI? (or another reason..?)

In any case, I noticed there is no resolution setting in the ini anymore. Why? If I go into the game menu, all that is offered with ddfix is my current resolution (which was set in cam.cfg, and from the old ddfix.ini) and 640x480. Is it so that we'd only modify cam.cfg?

Zombified
    no,you are supposed to set it in cam.cfg (as far as I know).

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    If that were the case I would have made it the default, but unfortunately there is a performance hit. Of course with UseSysMemOverlay=0 it's probably negligible.
    so LayeredOverlay=1 + UseSysMemOverlay=0 in T1/T2 should have nearly identical performance to LayeredOverlay=0 + UseSysMemOverlay=0? Does LayeredOverlay have any actual use besides SS2?
    Right now, I set LayeredOverlay to 0 for T2 - should I bother? I'm concerned about getting max performance I can get..

I also noticed that you don't include GUI with your zip packages. Is it because you assume everyone already has it, or you don't like the GUI? (or another reason..?)
    Because what I'm doing has nothing at all to do with the GUI. Actually I've never even seen the GUI.

In any case, I noticed there is no resolution setting in the ini anymore. Why? If I go into the game menu, all that is offered with ddfix is my current resolution (which was set in cam.cfg, and from the old ddfix.ini) and 640x480. Is it so that we'd only modify cam.cfg?
    Like voodoo47 already said, resolution is set in cam.cfg. And the reason is pretty obvious - to not have the exact same setting in multiple places.

so LayeredOverlay=1 + UseSysMemOverlay=0 in T1/T2 should have nearly identical performance to LayeredOverlay=0 + UseSysMemOverlay=0?
    Nearly.

Does LayeredOverlay have any actual use besides SS2?
    No.

Right now, I set LayeredOverlay to 0 for T2 - should I bother? I'm concerned about getting max performance I can get..
    Well you can always make some frame rate comparisons, if you like. I recommend just using the default.

If you fixed the invideo codec once and for all you'd be (even more of) a legend forever.

BTW this version (and maybe others far back) doesn't work on wine (white screen on entering level - expect the UI). As wine complained about triple buffer i disabled it, but it made no difference except that that warning went away. The relevant others are:
    fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_FlipToGDISurface iface 0x12b178 stub!
    fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
    fixme:ddraw:PixelFormat_DD2WineD3D Unhandled 32 bit depth buffer bitmasks, returning WINED3DFMT_D24X8
    fixme:d3d_shaderrint_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #3:
    fixme:d3d_shaderrint_glsl_info_log Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.

Don't sweat it if it is just wine being retarded, i will simply not upgrade.
    Last edited by SeriousCallersOnly; 10th Jan 2011 at 07:07.

Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3944495459646974798485868788899091929394 ... LastLast