TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: The Way of The Sword (Hammerite Contest Entry) 14 NOV 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Penniroz View Post
    sparhawk -- the screwdriver
    spoiler:
    disables a generator.
    As I said I already found this one. Just didn't know what exactly it did.

A major spoiler:
    spoiler:
    This disables a fan in the tunnels -- which is going to be of huge help especially on ninja
    spoiler:
    Yeah, I noticed that the fan is disabled, but I thought it was because I threw the lever nearby, so I always ran back and threw it, before I looked in there. I guess I can save the time now.

I was really sad to see the contest was canceled (I love the Hammerites!), but I'm so very glad to have gotten this wonderful mission out of it.

Thank you, Yandros, for setting up the mission contest, even if we only got one mission out of it. It was a very good mission! Also, thank you for the HMDK which I got to see in this mission. Wonderful stuff!

Thank you, Otto, for you hard work on this mission. I wasn't expecting Hammerite Ninjas! (...and now my brain is trying to replace Monty Python's 'Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition' skit with 'Hammerite Ninjas'...I have a strange brain, sometimes.) I really enjoyed this. It was both beautiful and fun to play.

I also really wanted to steal one of those coolie hats! But then I'd have wanted to see myself in it, which I couldn't, so I guess it's ok after all.

Thanks for a great evening!
    ~Shaz

Hey where can I find the
    spoiler:
    Kung Fu manual ?

EDIT: Sorry I asked this question. I should have thoroughly searched the dojo first. Its just that I was not really into this mission after getting confused initially bcos of the key(s)hunt.
    Last edited by varunb; 22nd Nov 2007 at 06:08.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    spoiler:
    its the room on the east side of the dojo with the inverted hammer symbol.

All I can say is...thank you so very much for this wonderful mission, Jason.

I always wondered what a Thief mission would look like if it was set in Japan (or something to that effect).

Now I don't have to wonder anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by metal dawn View Post
    I always wondered what a Thief mission would look like if it was set in Japan (or something to that effect).
    Interestingly enough, I originally planned a sequel to From Beneath the Sands to take place in an oriental palace. Wouldn't have had Hammerites though!

Super gorgeous. Super fun. A bit of a loot hunt at the end on Ninja, but that doesn't matter.

BTW, about the kung fu manual...
    spoiler:
    You got me! Stupid thief should know better than to grab something on a pedestal without first checking the rest of the room.

its such a duh moment, like indiana jones grabbing the idol, obviously something left out that obvious is a trick or rigged in some way. the switch is fortunately nearby.

Classical Master 2008
    I just grabbed it and ran (after completing the other objectives, of course). Otto, this is a damn great mission, and I am awestruck you could do so much in the time allotted for the Hammer contest. It's cool how it is basically a blatant clone of Undercover, yet it appears entirely new because of the setting. And the authentic look is also a plus - places like the bathhouse or the dining area - it was almost expecting Toshiro Mifune to crop up somewhere!

it really is an undercover mission, and was really inspired by that kind of mission. i had developed the disguise setup for a different mission and thought i could try it here, so you have the option of never using it, perhaps more realistic than undercover. its a hair under 1000000 cubic dromed units, but i broke the space up with the separate second levels and separate buildings to try to make it seem like it wasn't a big box. its great than everyone is enjoying this one.

Great mission! I really like the atmosphere, as usual with your missions, but this one is special.

I have a question that may have been covered already, but I am in the middle and don't want to be spoiled by reading lots of stuff.

I have two hours invested in version 1.0 playing on Expert, and now I see from the initial post that I may not be able to complete it unless I complete some hidden objective, but I am not quite sure what that objective is and how to go about it. So, do you think I should start over with 1.2 (I don't really mind), or is there a simple way to get past this problem if I find later that the mission won't end?

if a bonus objective has been added you'll have to complete it to finish the mission in version 1.0 you'll need to find the ingredients and mix them, the goal gives the instructions, and the scroll that adds the goal tells you want to get. i have posted the general location of the crates that contain the ingredients. if you've yet to visit the abbott's room don't read the scrolls on his desk and you won't get the goal.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a go. Should be no problem if I forgo ghosting. I'll save that for 1.2.

Completed it. Version 1.0 in Ninja mode. I started out in ghost mode but abandoned that to facilitate searching and breaking things. Maybe later with 1.2. After I had most of the objectives either done or staked out, I initiated the bonus objective to make the elixir and completed that, too. I got stuck with loot (around 3280) and needed help in this forum finding two secrets. Even then, I am still missing 180.

Thanks for a great Thief experience. I liked the oriental motif. Too bad the contest was cancelled.

Loved this mission

Once again you impressed me with this new mission, great design, not only the architecture but the objects as well, beautifull skybox, all well decorated, good choice in the ambient music, all very good

You are now in my favourite´s fms artist list

I finally got time to play this mission and it's gorgeous! The oriental theme is extremely well done, the gameplay is great and it's really enjoyable to play. My only criticism would be that the required loot total on Ninja is quite a bit too high. I only got enough thanks to The_Dude's post listing the locations of the secrets and even then had to troll around a bit more for a coin that I'd missed. That's a minor quibble though. Overall a truly excellent FM and it's a shame the contest was cancelled as I think this one would have been hard to beat. Thanks, Ottoj55!

The Way of the Sword FM

This mission sure is pur-tee (say slowly).

One could easily get clocked with a hammer just looking at all the nice stuff in it.

It is nice to see new looks on the old engine; just like when I saw Christine's monastery mission for the first time. I had only seen new models and textures until then.

A new atmosphere added, made the dark engine look completely different.

I am not quite finished playing it, but I really do like the way a new visual dimension seems to have been added to the Thief universe.

Great work, great job.

Fun mission.

At first I trying to figure out whether it was supposed to be more Chinese or Japanese inspired, but then I gathered it just had an oriental motif and a little something of everything. I was happy that being able to read some Chinese characters came in handy.

This is also one of the few missions where I took advantage of being able to make notes on the maps ... so much stuff was going on that I almost had to. But that can be a good thing, adds flavor.

I liked how much attention you gave to get the oriental look in the architecture. We're you working off of source photos of some temples?

Speaking of missions it was inspired by, not just Undercover, but I saw some Fortress by the Sea in this one, too, the way that guards and rooms were laid out, and esp the timed generator and tunnel-running puzzle being an obvious link ... a quintessential Otto puzzle.

i just entered the basement kitchen. i want to add my humble 2 cents. this place is amaaaaaaaaazing. uber props, Otto! btw: are those dead RATS in the baskets???

Classical Master 2008
    A detail that's really cool in a twisted way was how the initiates stripped of their garments looked like nekkid people in traditional Japanese art, chest hair and all. One of those things which are funny in an intelligent, slightly understated way.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    This is also one of the few missions where I took advantage of being able to make notes on the maps ... so much stuff was going on that I almost had to.
    Uhg! I totally forgot about that as I never needed to use it! Yes, I should also make use of that feature, because you have a lot of running around finding stuff and I tried to memorize the level layout.

i looked at a lot of pictures of asian buildings to get things right, and haplo helped with the symbols so that they were correct enough, not nonsense. this mission does have another of my favorite puzzles, a chemistry puzzle, its the bonus objective.

Played yesterday instead of working on my own mission. Otto really hit one out of the park here. The map felt as real as any I've every played and the attention to detail was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    you have a lot of running around finding stuff and I tried to memorize the level layout.
    What's funny ... the second I saw that first lever, and the plaque said "4 minutes", I immediately thought to myself, man, I don't know what this does, but a timed lever ... this is getting marked on the map right now.

And as I ran into more ... I had them all marked by the time I figured out what they were for because I could guess what was coming, remembering Fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    another of my favorite puzzles, a chemistry puzzle
    Trying to predict puzzles caught me off-guard sometimes, though. I somehow convinced myself early on that it was the rosary that was going to go in the pot! I could imagine in real life that would have been the stupidest thing I could have done ... haha.
    Last edited by demagogue; 28th Nov 2007 at 17:47.

All those beautiful wood beams and no rope arrows Been piling up boxes Is it worth the effort? Anything up there? I keep bumping my head against the sky!
    Last edited by redleaf; 29th Nov 2007 at 00:21.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast