TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Crysis?

For me, it was cloak-speed-shoot-cloak. If you get hit with armour on, you lose all your energy, and without energy you're much less effective. With speed on you quickly regen enough energy for cloak, and take a couple hits (which is all you should take in the time you spend shooting and getting ready for cloak again). Not to mention you're more effective at dodging bullets too.

I thought armour was the weakest of all the abilities. All you get is the option to take one or two more rounds, and afterwards you're out of options. I guess it works for people who like to move in and out of cover while exchanging fire, but I found there were too many enemies to make this a viable tactic. Plus, your weapons seemed to get exponentially worse at any kind of distance, so I tended to favour getting to in-your-face range.

Anyway, what I was going to say is that it's funny but we have the complete polar opposite opinion of which bits of the game were fun Since it's just opinion, that's fine, but I do want to ask you one question:

Did you find any differences in gameplay from one Korean camp to another? I will stop short of calling each base a copy-paste of the one before it, but it wouldn't be too unfair even if I did

Quote Originally Posted by BR796164 View Post
    Hah! You didn't play it with AMD64 big exclusive patch (for x64 only!).

Also, are you sure you didn't have cartoon rendering option turned on?

So can somebody tell me if Crysis is worth even being considered, I don't want to upgrade AGAIN just for one game and then be disappointed.
    Simple question, is it worth $300 or whatever for roughly 10 hours of gameplay pretty shiny? The gameplay will be the same without a brand new DX10 card.

I played it on a 7800GT with an Opty146@2.5, with a mix of low and med settings. And it still looks ace. I can only imagine what high settings must look like - but it won't change the gameplay, I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    2Gay games and Game$ 4 Winblows mi rite
    oh hell yeah

the gamplay was not different from one Korean camp to the next, but that gameplay gives you 3-4 choices. so it isn't the same each time, it gives you the choice of when to go stealth and went to go action and when to ignore etc so when i played it it didn't feel samey and was anything but boring. However i have always had a very high tolerance of linear and repetitive gameplay (doom 3), so long as it does what it does well i'm likely to like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    2Gay games and Game$ 4 Winblows mi rite

I'm assuming you're not being serious, only because I can't recall you posting anything so stupid that I would have expected "LOL I PUT $$$$ IN PLACE OF ESSES CUZ I CLEVAR" posts.
    Well Timed Sarcasm, Jason Moyer.

Jason Moyer...

the koreans don't respawn per se. they call in reinforcements (of course, THEY spawn somewhere) but that's more "realistic" than just filling in blanks in the countryside with enemies now and then. I played every level up to now many times or for a very long time just to find every place and goof around. of course it's a shooter, so most of the time you will shoot, no matter what suit-mode you use. but it gives you a small tactical advantage which is nice. many levels can be played totally stealthy without firing any shot up till the one before assault, where you have to clear the LZ of enemy troops. unfortunatley you can't pickpocket koreans while cloaked
    that would have been nice.

but believe me, there is enough progression and refinement to absolutely recommend it over FarCry and it's much better than it in many aspects.

all the aspects of FarCry dropped for the alien invasion linear end levels should be given to us once FarCry2 comes out 2008.

I'm wondering how much far cry 2 will have in common with either far cry or crysis. it's not being made by Crytec, will feature choseable characters and a free roaming playground area. call me skeptical but it takes one hell of a developer to pull that kind of thing of. Just look at what happened during the production of stalker, with compromises being made all over.
    This could be a good game, but in my experience when a publisher tries to use the brand of another game to sell a game that has nothing to do with it, well lets just say theres a reason they feel they need to...

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    KICKING ORCS OFF CLIFFS
    Dude as I said in my review, I hate in hardcore mode how it takes 8-9 swings to kill a ghoul with a 15 pound sword made of razor sharp tempered steel that's been infused with the soul of a demonic being thirsty for blood, but a boot from me into cast-iron spikes kills everything instantly. Hell why didn't they let me carry a spike rack around, that would've made the game a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristed View Post
    I'm wondering how much far cry 2 will have in common with either far cry or crysis. it's not being made by Crytec, will feature choseable characters and a free roaming playground area. call me skeptical but it takes one hell of a developer to pull that kind of thing of. Just look at what happened during the production of stalker, with compromises being made all over.
    This could be a good game, but in my experience when a publisher tries to use the brand of another game to sell a game that has nothing to do with it, well lets just say theres a reason they feel they need to...
    i don't think it will have things in common storywise but up until now they only released gameplay videos, no prerendered hollywood-type propaganda stuff and that's a nice touch (well, up until now). so what i know of things in the game is from actual videos of alphas which will...hopefully...not be cut.
    what I can see from those is free-roaming, adapting AI, lots of stuff to blow up and drive around, many body-awareness stuff and healing animations, hopefully a middle-ground between arcade (COD, HL2), randomness (stalker) and boring (tactical, realistic, slow),.....so long I'm confident.
    Maybe someday a game comes along with those qualities (FarCry,Crysis, FC2) combined with stellar story telling techniques and gameplay.
    until then I'm glad I can play very good failures of progression rather than very, very good and refined recycling of the old (COD4/HL-episodes).

Ok, the SP is not that great, but what about the multiplayer? MP is where the game really shines in my opinion.

There is of course simple DM, which is not that exciting. However there is PS mode. It has a good variety of weapons, gadgets, vehicles, huge levels, and tactical nuclear weapons.

There are some lag issues(and you need to turn your GFX down unless your PC is a beast), but in general the game type is the most fun I've had since BF2142.

the only bad thing about crysis is its length. and maybe a bit easy. i completed the game on delta with no hiccups.
    till now with the exception of CoD4 (mostly in multiplayer) its the best game i played in a long time. i really cant find anything wrong with it. shooting done right. compared to other games released till now its GotY. (edit : this or stalker)
    it would be better of course if it had (more)
    spoiler:
    AI human-alien battles (and maybe US-korean too)

anyway. this game is screaming for a predator mod. xD

@HybridVision

there is no CoD style respawing in crysis. only a few scripted events now and then. the reinforcements are already on map and are rallied to the position you are spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    the koreans don't respawn per se. they call in reinforcements (of course, THEY spawn somewhere) but that's more "realistic" than just filling in blanks in the countryside with enemies now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister_Evil View Post
    there is no CoD style respawing in crysis. only a few scripted events now and then. the reinforcements are already on map and are rallied to the position you are spotted.
    Well one of you is correct, and one not so correct I don't claim to know exactly how it works, but...

There were a couple times in the game where I cleared an entire area, and had not encountered any "reinforcements" in the surrounding areas. However, on backtracking through the area some time later (same map, tho), the camps were back to full troop strength again.

That would seem to suggest that reinforcements may be called in from off-map possitions (ie, they spawn).

that's how I experienced it as well.
    but when i waited in a cleared out camp, a few minutes later a jeep with 3 guys arrived and they started patroling the surroundings.
    unfortunatley I rigged some houses and blew them to kindgdom come

so it "looks" realistic but in truth I think they get spawned and then just drive there.

anybody else has troubles with the endboss ? my rig crashes or i have so low fps that I can't hit shit in that scene.

Taking a break
    Best FPS of the year, and probably the year before that, and maybe few more.

HybrydVision: You seem to have some kind of Open-ended Gameplay Disorder. Crysis is linear? I'd like to see nonlinear game then. Then you say it gives you several ways to play, you stick with one, and that's bad. And finally, the cherry on top: You don't HAVE to kill these 5000 koreans. In whole game you only need to destroy two tanks, three AAAs, five HINDs, and clear out two landing zones(Which will be something about 15 enemies total). It just all sounds to me like you're restricting yorself and blame the game for it for some reason.

While I admit that the suit modes are not balanced, I can't really see a problem with it. The benefits of Armor are that it restores Energy and Health faster than any other mode, so it's very useful when you Stealth your way from one bush to another or even in Stealth-Armor-Shoot-Stealth headshotting, since you end up saving some Energy when you switch to it for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    In whole game you only need to destroy two tanks, three AAAs, five HINDs, and clear out two landing zones(Which will be something about 15 enemies total).
    Destroy, clear, kill...
    How generic.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainer View Post
    Destroy, clear, kill...
    How generic.
    its the manner and freedom of these acts that set crysis apart from generic shooters, just as it was the variety and sheer craftsmanship/quality of HL2 kept it light years away from generic, imho...

Quote Originally Posted by entertainer View Post
    Destroy, clear, kill...
    How generic.
    oh no you guys this fps is about shooting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Best FPS of the year, and probably the year before that, and maybe few more.

HybrydVision: You seem to have some kind of Open-ended Gameplay Disorder. Crysis is linear? I'd like to see nonlinear game then. Then you say it gives you several ways to play, you stick with one, and that's bad. And finally, the cherry on top: You don't HAVE to kill these 5000 koreans. In whole game you only need to destroy two tanks, three AAAs, five HINDs, and clear out two landing zones(Which will be something about 15 enemies total). It just all sounds to me like you're restricting yorself and blame the game for it for some reason.

While I admit that the suit modes are not balanced, I can't really see a problem with it. The benefits of Armor are that it restores Energy and Health faster than any other mode, so it's very useful when you Stealth your way from one bush to another or even in Stealth-Armor-Shoot-Stealth headshotting, since you end up saving some Energy when you switch to it for a second.
    I'm not suggesting Crysis is a bad game, if you like shooters with limited variety. But I'd rather play Quake any day of the week.

Quake didn't have a gimmicky nano-suit and DX10 graphics. But it had interesting level design (Crysis has... a jungle... some trees and huts), situational weapons (Crysis has... weapons that are functionally the same).

Etc, etc. There were some fun bits in Crysis, for sure. However I don't seem to like the same bits the rest of you do. I liked the VTOL mission, the tank bit, the alien bit. It was interesting and different. Lots of people I've seen say it should have been 100% vs the Koreans. Personally, I think that's nuts. An entire game based on repeating the same encounter over, and over, and over again?

Sheesh, even with the nano-suit there were only a handful of approaches. When you've done them all once (I did, honest), what's left to do?

Taking a break
    Are you some kind of catbarf's alt? Admit it. The weapons talk totally gives it away.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridVision View Post
    Sheesh, even with the nano-suit, I can only think of a handful of approaches.
    Come on man, I've only played the demo twice, and I've already used more then a handful of approaches. And I haven't tried everything I wanted to try.

I'm not suggesting Crysis is a bad game, if you like shooters with limited variety. But I'd rather play Quake any day of the week.
    < repeat FEAR Perseus Mandate argument here >

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    < repeat FEAR Perseus Mandate argument here >
    You're probably right. I think I'm becoming increasingly jaded to all kinds of computer games. Certainly towards FPS games anyhow.

Incidentally, is it "jaded to" or "jaded about"? I couldn't decide.

However, on backtracking through the area some time later (same map, tho), the camps were back to full troop strength again
    those are the occasions were scripted spawning takes place cause you triggered some mission objective etc.

situational weapons (Crysis has... weapons that are functionally the same)
    yes. all weapons have a same function of killing. the only arguably common weapons are the scar and ak-107 (fm-something in-game) and maybe the smg. other than that the a sniper rifle, shotgun, LAW, alien ice dart thrower thingie (offers infinite ammo), tactical nuke launcher and gauss gun (actually a rail gun) are quite different. and some of them even correspond to quake weapons.

what more would you want in crysis? (not saying that crysis is the pinnacle of gaming)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister_Evil View Post
    what more would you want in crysis? (not saying that crysis is the pinnacle of gaming)
    Tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPG's, sonic-electronic ball-breakers, nukes, knives... sharp sticks. And possibly an independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. Fry half a city with that puppy.

Tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPG's, sonic-electronic ball-breakers, nukes, knives... sharp sticks. And possibly an independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. Fry half a city with that puppy.
    And a voodoo doll from Blood.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast