TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Crysis?

Taking the Death Toll
    Alien Resurrection was decently directed. But no amount of good direction can save a movie from a terrible script. The plot was terrible and the characters were annoying.

I honestly think that the problem was direction at least as much as writing. The tone that Jeunet brings to the proceedings is all over the place. I could imagine so much of the dialogue working better if directed differently.

Taking the Death Toll
    And I can imagine a lot of the movie being better with a different script. The whole thing felt like a bad fanfic.

I agree that the script wasn't great, but it was definitely not decently directed. Jeunet seems to have been undecided whether he wanted to make a surreal comedy or a sci-fi action flick. And I definitely don't think he's great at action sequences - they may as well have asked Tim Burton to direct Alien 4.

I'm kinda tired of hearing all the criticism against Gibson and Whedon for "destroying" Alien and making shit scripts. Both scripts were rewritten beyond recognition after they wrote it, and although their name was still there the final product has little to do with the original work.
    (Admittedly, for Whedon's A4 version I can only repeat what I heard, however I actually have Gibson's script sitting on my HD, so I do know about that one.)

In fact, I liked Gibson's script and always imagined that with some rewriting, it would make a pretty good base for a System Shock movie.
    Last edited by raph; 6th Dec 2007 at 14:04.

Taking the Death Toll
    Well, according to Whedon they didn't change the script very much (mostly the ending, which I think was readded for the Director's Cut), they just "did it wrong." Which is funny, because his script was terrible to begin with. You'd think doing it differently from how Whedon envisioned it would make it a better movie. Maybe Thirith is right about the directing after all (it's been quite a few years since I watched it.)

It's just an all-around shit-awful movie.

I don't hear much criticism towards Gibson- after all, his script was almost totally thrown out- they mostly only kept the barcodes on the back of the head thing, which I thought was fine (I mean it's a goddamn futuristic prison planet, duh.) While I disagree with his envisioning of the alien lifecycle, I believe his script was good regardless.

Really, they could have just stopped at Alien 3 and the series would be just about pristine. But nooo in comes Alien Resurrection (that squirting sound is a franchise being milked for all its worth) and fucking ruins everything.

That I agree with. The hybrid in particular must be one of the most retarded ideas put on screen ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Really, they could have just stopped at Alien 3 and the series would be just about pristine.
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by raph
    The hybrid in particular must be one of the most retarded ideas put on screen ever.
    Word.

Thing is, I normally quite like JPJ as a director, he does have a certain je ne sais quoi, but I don't know what it is. I mean, his movies are usually pretty quirky - in a good way.

But for the Aliens franchise? No fucking way! It just jars.
    His only saving grace may be that PT Anderson might be an even worse Aliens director.

Ok, I just noticed the "definitive edition"s of all the Alien films were released last month (I think).

Does anyone actually know if these are different cuts of the film?

It's getting pretty insane these days when there are 3 different versions of a film being sold at the same time. I blame Lucas (although Scott did it first with Blade Runner).

I've heard Ridley Scott went back and re-cut Alien. It wasn't massive cuts and adding extra scenes etc but just a 'tightening' of the film overall. It's a little bit shorter now.

I saw the director's cut of Alien in the cinema a couple of years ago. It was decent, but I prefer the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I saw the director's cut of Alien in the cinema a couple of years ago. It was decent, but I prefer the original.
    I really wish they'd stop screwing around with established classics Alien 3, sure, because the theatrical version is horrid. But ffs, why Alien? Star Wars 4-6? Indy Jones? Stop screwing around, you bastards!

When did Indy get messed around with?

It's perfectly within the rights of a director who felt their vision for a movie got compromised by producters/distributors to revisit it, I disagree with them revisiting movies like Star Wars to add in afterthought bullshit and fallout from the crappy sequels/prequels.

E.T. is another example where I disagreed strongly with the later editing (for the uninformed, removing guns and replacing them with walkie talkies) is pacifist-gone-cuckoo bullshit that has no place in the world of director's cut cinema.

Alien is a little different. Scott always wanted to have the scene with Ripley burning up Skerrit's character because he felt it was important for her emotional development. Alien was never about Ripley to me though, it was about the Nostromo.

Indiana's been messed with? So it ain't so.

I've read in an interview with Ridley Scott that he himself thought that the recent director's cut of Alien wasn't really necessary, as he was satisfied with the original. But the studio wanted a recut for the Quadrilogy box set, and they were going to do it themselves, so Scott said "well, if it absolutely has to happen, then I'd rather do it myself than someone else".

Absolutely psyched for the big Blade Runner DVD release by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    When did Indy get messed around with?
    Was probably thinking of that episode of South Park where they take the mick out of Lucas and Spielberg. It's only a matter of time, tho

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Absolutely psyched for the big Blade Runner DVD release by the way!
    Big Blad Runner DVD release? I bought the Director's Cut years ago... There's a new (new) one?

lol

Taking the Death Toll
    Ew fuck the Director's Cut. Blade Runner Final Cut is coming out December 18th in 3 flavours: Cheap, Less Cheap, and Not Cheap But You Get a Cool Little Briefcase.

Basically Ridley Scott was never happy with the Director's Cut version, which he didn't really have much to do with in the first place, so he decided to recut it as the Final Cut, which is basically the definitive edition.

Would now be the appropriate time to say that it had better change the movie a lot from being a big bag of boring suck?

Taking the Death Toll
    I don't think there's ever an appropriate time to say that.

Figured as much.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Ew fuck the Director's Cut. Blade Runner Final Cut is coming out December 18th in 3 flavours: Cheap, Less Cheap, and Not Cheap But You Get a Cool Little Briefcase.

Basically Ridley Scott was never happy with the Director's Cut version, which he didn't really have much to do with in the first place, so he decided to recut it as the Final Cut, which is basically the definitive edition.
    Also, Final Cut DVD has 5 different cuts of the movie (in the UK at least). Three cuts?!? Pfffft, that's for pussies!

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Scots "The Traitor" Taffer
    Would now be the appropriate time to say that it had better change the movie a lot from being a big bag of boring suck?
    You're breaking my heart, man, you're breaking my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridVision View Post
    Was probably thinking of that episode of South Park where they take the mick out of Lucas and Spielberg. It's only a matter of time, tho
    Speilberg didn't have anything to do with the Star Wars edits and I have faith that he would never to that to any of his films and I consider the Indy's to be more his than Lucas'. He understands that CGI wouldn't necessarily make anything better. I read some interview where he stated that if he made Jaws now he probably would have had more of the shark but he knows that would have made the film much less effective. Lucas doesn't think like this at all, he can't see that sometimes budget and techniclogical restrictions can lead you to do great things. Like Jabba being a big fat immobile slug. On the DVD commentary he laments that if they had the technology they have now they would have made him much more mobile etc. He never acknowlegdes that it might not actually be a good idea and I think that if Jabba wasn't such an iconic character he would have tried to fiddle with it.

BR796164
    The situation of re-editing Blade Runner and many other good films can be justified. Sometimes the directors can't afford to put everything into the first release they would like to. But if the film gains fame and solid fanbase, it's appropriate to get back to the material after some time and offer the core fanbase an expanded experience. So there are two or three versions of certain cult film for different audiences.

The situation with Lucas reediting his SW over and over again is extreme though... it really raises question about strategy of wringing more money from from people's pockets. Spielberg's 'political correctures' in E.T. are questionable as well.

The Blade Runner 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition is on the way to me.
    The fan base has been waiting for a long time for this. Unfortunately Region 2 UCE doesn't appear to come in briefcase with toys - perhaps I order it from America when I get HDDVD/BluRay player. But meh, the real treasure is on the discs.

Final cut editions info :
    http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BR796164 View Post
    The Blade Runner 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition is on the way to me.
    Also, my copy arrived on my desk just five minutes ago!

Tin box, and a hologram plaque. Awesome!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast