TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Crysis?

patch 1.1 released

get the new patch, hopefully it fixes and improves things:
    http://www.fileshack.com/file_download.x/11604

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    hopefully it fixes and improves things
    That's generally the idea of a patch, is it not?

but not always reality
    i couldn't find any improvement but had not many troubles with crysis sp, you can adjust the motion blur now in the menue, which is a nice touch

Taking a break
    Well the changelog is not exactly breathtaking.

Performance is significantly improved in demanding areas with the patch(the very ends of Ascension and Reckoning in particular, especially on Very High), and loading times are shortened.

So far, so good, but I don't know if it's managed to get rid of all those damn cheaters that plague the multiplayer. (I swear, I've encountered at least one cheater in every Crysis server I've joined so far...)

I just finished it. I got to say, I was incredibly disappointed with the ending. I was briefly very happy, when I thought perhaps the game was going to be twice as long as I thought, and then I realized that it was the standard incredibly short FPS.

Killing koreans was repetitive, but more fun than killing aliens (except blowing down the matrix style flying squid, that was fun).

Anyway, it was fun. I'm glad I waited and got The Witcher first, though.

Mister Science
    probably posted already but not going to look.

http://www.gamert.nl/multimedia/crysis_3000_tonnen.html

awesome.

Taking a break
    This is my favourite.

That was a brilliant video. Reminded me of the Sony Bravia commericals.

The physics engine for the game is truly breathtaking. Theres plenty of nuke mods that give impressive nuke physics: Here

It also has the ability to do real time running water and tidal waves: here.

Cool stuff, but the mod scene is a bit small right now due to the lack of being able to import assets. Hopefully the sdk comes along soon.

Still Subjective
    I've no idea about the game but this engine takes the biscuit. HOW good?

I'm more of a fan of the groundbreaking and innovative, not to mention realistic, AI.

Still Subjective
    Some of it looks good, yes.

Here is an amusing glitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBBv...eature=related

Rise from your grave, thread. (Sorry, but I didn't feel like starting a new one.)

Some interesting news . . . Crysis has sold better - much better - than originally thought:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/01/crysis-goes-platinum/

One million is a far cry from 86,000.

Taking a break

Durrr I r Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey-Lo View Post
    That was a brilliant video. Reminded me of the Sony Bravia commericals.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30966.html

Damn I should have clicked on this thread months ago. Would have loved to have joined in on the Aliens vs the other movies + Alien 4 bagging. For 1 super late (by 2 months) comment, Aliens was the first movie I saw of the series so I`m probably biased by that, but its always been my favorite of the lot by a longshot.

Fair enough on a scare factor it doesn`t hold a candle to the original movie or Alien 3 for that matter, but it introduced so many excellent additions to the overall Alien race (the overall hive structure, alien queens, the uac marines which were only well done in that one movie, the auto turret gun thingoes etc) which have then gone on to live on in the games we played afterwards.

And I was really pissed off when they killed off all of the other survivors in Alien 3. Otherwise its an excellent movie + it added in the "what the alien comes out of, affects what kindof creature it becomes" aspect, which makes perfect sense, and later goes onto live on in the AvP movies. The second AvP movie kicked ass btw. The first one is very meh.

And on the original topic of Crysis, I really enjoyed it. It felt very Farcry 2.0-ish except with super powers until you reach the alien stuff. Man the alien parts looked spiffy. kinda like swimming in a underwater seabed except that you have unlimited oxygen and everything wants to kill you .

I`ve definately got to say that the cloak ability makes you almost invinceable in the game though. Unlike Farcry or most newer games, I could play Crysis on max difficulty and still totally pwn everything, aslong as I used a hide -> cloak -> sneak out and head shot someone, and maybe a second if I`m quick enough -> run back to another hiding spot then cloak again when I had enough energy. Doing that tactic I was able to get through roughly 95% of the battles upto the alien stuff. The AI has absolutely no defence against it, except when it has a chopper to seek you out. I was expecting to come up against troops with thermo goggles later on, but nope wasn`t any.

I loved the weapon mod aspect of the game, with you getting better and better mods as the game goes on. How many people went the totally sniper route with weapon mods? I found them to be the most beneficial of the lot, since you could turn a fair amount of the guns into sniper rifles with a few mods added.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    How many people went the totally sniper route with weapon mods? I found them to be the most beneficial of the lot, since you could turn a fair amount of the guns into sniper rifles with a few mods added.
    I did too. So much that aftert he first few levels of the game, I was using the Strength mode almost as often as Cloak. I only used the korean carbine with a suppressor though, the other dedicated sniper weapons always drew too much attention.

Liked it much more than FarCry.
    The game feels very cinematographic.Graphics and physics are obviously revolutionary, and protagonist, enemies, story are better than they were in FarCry, and more seriously presented (at least no comic red shirt, idiotic dialogues, and apes with bazookas). Gameplay is fun, maps are interesting and diverse, difficulty, maps size and game's length are exactly what they should be. Some levels and scenes are just amazingly beautiful.

Lots of fun, 9/10.

PS: This game should be played only with high graphical settings of course.
    Last edited by 242; 22nd Mar 2008 at 18:08.

Quote Originally Posted by redrain85 View Post
    Rise from your grave, thread. (Sorry, but I didn't feel like starting a new one.)

Some interesting news . . . Crysis has sold better - much better - than originally thought:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/01/crysis-goes-platinum/

One million is a far cry from 86,000.
    Cool. I thought it couldn't be that bad. Does this mean we can fire all the tools who behave as though it's the theatrical film business and only watch the first two or three weeks worth of figures, shifting games (at least PC games) into a largely calender independant release system? ('course not)

-edit-
    It's too late now but on the Alien DVD it is also discussed how the xenomorphs (horrid Aliens word) were concieved to take on characteristics of their hosts (eg bipedal humans) and that theme showed up in 3 with the dog (which is better than the ox, but otherwise the rough cut version is brilliant)

Aaanyway; I just got the Crysis demo, and despite my fears of it making my brand new (well almost) video card obsolete right away it actually runs great on High with 4x AA. How do the demo areas compare with things in the rest of the game?
    The game is pretty fun too, although Ive never been a fan of Far Cry and Crysis' weird squishy controls I can get used to it. I could do without that movement blur when you turn though. It looks great when you're watching it play but otherwise my eyes blur rapid movement just fine by themselves thank you very much. And the shallow focus is complete rubbish, a worthy attempt but doesn't work at all; I'm on a hill aiming at a boat out in the bay and background is out of focus? I don't think so. These guys haven't heard of focussing to infinity (which is just about anything thats more than 10 meters away on our eyeballs). Is there some way to turn these things off?
    Last edited by Muzman; 25th Mar 2008 at 00:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Aaanyway; I just got the Crysis demo, and despite my fears of it making my brand new (well almost) video card obsolete right away it actually runs great on High with 4x AA. How do the demo areas compare with things in the rest of the game?
    Pretty well, if the demo runs fine the game will too.

And the shallow focus is complete rubbish, a worthy attempt but doesn't work at all; I'm on a hill aiming at a boat out in the bay and background is out of focus? I don't think so.
    Hmm, it worked perfectly for me, and also I thought it looked nice. Notice how your virtual eyes focus gradually on background too.
    Last edited by 242; 26th Mar 2008 at 05:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Is there some way to turn these things off?
    Turn the Post-Processing down to Medium or Low. In the 1.2 version, you can disable the Motion Blur separately. Also, with tweaking utilities, you can customize every setting (I disabled Motion Blur and Edge AA, but enabled Sunshafts (which is supposed to be DX10/Very High only) - you could easily disable Depth Of Field separately this way, if that annoys you). You can find the tweaking tool here (I don't know if it works for the demo though).

I couldn't get into the multiplayer at all, simply because it felt too run-and-gun for me, but I was blown away by the singleplayer campaign (minus that shitty helicopter mission). The story was decent, got the job done but wasn't overly ambitious. The AI is easily some of the best seen in a shooter, and I would consider the gunplay to also be up there amongst the best.

It also reminded me a lot of Thief. I ghosted several missions, which was infinitely rewarding. Just replace shadows with foliage, and you have the same basic mechanics.

I don't know what difficulty the TC was playing on, but that decloak, kill, cloak thing never worked for me. If you moved while cloaked it would deplete far too fast, and if you stood still and cloaked then enemies would continue firing at your last position, which would end your cloak anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffer36 View Post
    It also reminded me a lot of Thief. I ghosted several missions, which was infinitely rewarding. Just replace shadows with foliage, and you have the same basic mechanics.

I don't know what difficulty the TC was playing on, but that decloak, kill, cloak thing never worked for me. If you moved while cloaked it would deplete far too fast, and if you stood still and cloaked then enemies would continue firing at your last position, which would end your cloak anyways.
    Same here, I enjoyed the SP very much, and I ghosted as much as I could, too. I played on the hardest difficulty and it worked. The point is that you should 1. use silenced weapons 2. fire from behind foliage - if you can barely see through it, then the enemy won't see you, even if you open fire. Uncloak when behind cover, cloak to move and to observe. Actually, it was a bit too easy this way even on Delta.

Taking a break
    Can't really find other place where to put this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bInZ7_y4Lw&hd=1

To make you click: It's to do with Monkey Island

That is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't have thought it possible to recreate the look and feel of Monkey Island 2 that perfectly in a 3D engine (mainly because MI2 very much is 2D/painterly), but they did a fantastic job. Makes me wish yet again that more developers tried out a more stylised look.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast