TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Level 10,000 achieved

Hardspace: Shipbreaker

It's a busy week for big videogame releases. Desperados 3 just came out, The Last Of Us 2 is coming out tomorrow, and out of nowhere this zero-G ship-salvage-sim shows up and steals my attention away from everything else.

Y'know, I WAS GONNA MAKE THIS! Although I was envisioning it as a 2D game, like Asteroids but you'd control a little ship lasering and grappling big chunks off derelict spaceships. (I might still make that one)

Anyway, I've played 90 minutes of this and confirm it's good stuff. It's still in EA tho. Quite polished but you can't rebind controls, so I ended up playing with gamepad as some of the keyboard bindings didn't sit right with me. The production values are great and it's surprisingly story-heavy for something you'd assume is a straight-up sim. Between this and Snowrunner I'm loving Focus' dedication to turning weird niche sims into sleek and sexy big-budget productions.

I see some other TTLGers have picked it up as well. How ya liking it?

That's such a henke game ;P Looks pretty cool actually. reminds me of Tom Francis's Heat Signature

I look forward to compilation videos coming out showing what havoc one can accidentally wreak inside the game.

Still Subjective
    Looks really interesting. If only I had the time. Crate and Crowbar had a good bit on it. If that co-op MP gets added it would be really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I see some other TTLGers have picked it up as well. How ya liking it?
    At the moment, I like the concept and mechanics but not the game: the limits imposed by the short length of the shift, small capacity of the oxygen and fuel tanks, tool degradation and small amount of tethers feel very artificial and are pissing me off. I just want to relax and break down a ship, not rush through a job because every second wasted is me bleeding money. I understand that it's exactly what they want to convey, and it fits perfectly the narrative themes of corporate hostility and efficiency, but at the moment I really can't deal with yet another stressful game. At the very least, let me disable the time limit.

Aesthetics, VA and music are awesome.

Level 10,000 achieved
    They apparently just added an "Open Shift" mode which does exactly what you want, removes the time and oxygen limits. I've seen other people complaining about this too. I get it, I'm also mainly into these kinds of games for the experience, not the challenge. Still, I'm kinda getting into the challenge of it (seeing how much of the ship I can salvage in 15 min) the more I play. I can usually get 2Million+ out of the smaller Easy ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    I look forward to compilation videos coming out showing what havoc one can accidentally wreak inside the game.
    Don't tempt me. I've already toyed with the idea of making a video, and I've picked out a thematically perfect song. "Sixteen Tons"! Specifically Lorne Greene's version of it. (I like Tennessee Ernie Ford's original just fine but it'd be a bit too minimalist for this)
    Last edited by henke; 13th Jul 2020 at 05:03.

Awesome! I'll try this out today

I think that wanting a challenge is fine, I might also get into playing the game more competitively once I get better at it but right now it's a barrier to entry for me.
    Perhaps a solution would be to have this "open shift" mode part of the story as a package that contain oxygen/fuel lines and unlimited tethers while switching you to a fixed salary that doesn't cover shit and reimburses your debt very little.
    So to progress the story forward you would have to take more risks but would still be able to play casually when you feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Don't tempt me. I've already toyed with the idea of making a video, and I've picked out a thematically perfect song. "Sixteen Tons"! Specifically Lorne Greene's version of it. (I like Tennessee Ernie Ford's original just fine but it'd be a bit too minimalist for this)
    Do it!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Gonna do a bit of Let's Playing for this one, show of my PRO SKILLZ.

I think that you did a mighty fine job dealing with this reactor very pro

I didn't realize only the mackerel was available. I've been enjoying the game a lot more with the casual mode but I'm starting to wish for more variety. Hope it's coming soon.

Yeah! That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I didn't realize only the mackerel was available. I've been enjoying the game a lot more with the casual mode but I'm starting to wish for more variety. Hope it's coming soon.
    There is a bigger ship type too, the Gecko, and of course they both have a few variants. I first took appart the Gecko in Free Play mode just to get familiar with it and it took me 70 min to get a good grip on it, finding all the important bits and figuring out how to get them out. Just managed to nearly 100% one of them, took me 4 sessions I think. Made 4.7Mill during one of them, which is the most I've ever made.

Btw I'm rank 7 right now, a few electrical components away from rank 8. I own my own helmet, thrusters, and scanner.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I can now scrap one of these lil fishies in one shift. 2 shifts for the Hard variant.

A fun watch! I liked how, when you were steering the ship frame toward the incinerator, the lyrics went "I give it the mass."

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, I didn't even notice that. It's "I'm givin' a mass" in the religious sense, but yeah it takes on a new meaning in this context.