TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Crysis?

Your thoughts on Crysis?

I'd give it 8/10. It suffers from some of the problems that made BioShocking a disaster, but does more things right than that game.

I know you guys won't lynch me for not immediately shouting "OMG, 11/10 - GOTY!" And maybe someone will even agree

The first half is a huge disappointment. The game just wants you to grind out 5,000 Korean kills before it will let you get to the better stuff. And just like BioShocking, when you find an approach that works for you, there's no reason to get all inventive. Try everything once I did, and then for the remaining 4,985 Koreans no two kills were unlike.

I was a cloak-whore, since it was just as overpowered as decoy in BioShocking. And the power of cloak isn't just in being stealthy. Hell no. Used aggressively, it can turn you from a naff FPS player to a 100% headshot maniac. If you make sure never to use Maximum Armour, your energy regens so quickly that you can decloak, kill, cloak without penalty. And repeatedly, often taking out whole groups of enemies with no real retort.

Anyway, after fighting 5,000 Koreans and 500 bugs, the game does change (for the better), but then youve only got 30mins of actual game remaining (and another 30 mins of walking around listening to the dialogue and thinking how good the graphics might be if you had a better computer.)

Yup, once again this game is too short. Too much of the Koreans, too little everything else. Completing a game in two evenings seems to be the norm, now. However, it would be wrong to blame Crysis for that. It's much, much harder to make an FPS of decent length than it is with other genres.

Overall, decent. Some fun bits that just don't last long enough to really satisfy. The ending was a complete joke, entirely done to set up for the sequel. Which will probably involve grinding another 5,000
    spoiler:
    alien
    kills to get to the good stuff. Oh well.

Bioshocking
    I think the word you're looking for is BIO$$$$HOCK

ahahhahahaha! Well played, Aja.

On topic, I can't play this game yet - I'm investigating dual/quad/ocot-core system solutions around Christmas time. I'm going to busy myself with STALKER and Dark Messiah for the time being.

Taking the Death Toll
    My opinion? If I want to play Crysis, I'll go fire up FarCry (not happening btw.) It just felt very bland to me. So much pretty, the suit's an interesting concept, but it didn't really grab me.

Seems like the open-ended environments + nanosuit + silly graphics = fun game for the most part. I'm hearing good things about the combat and gameplay in general. I upgraded my graphics card for BioShock and now I'm thinking about the CPU update for Crysis, I hope Crysis isn't another disappointment.
    I wasn't a fan of Far Cry at all, I found it frustrating from a gameplay perspective despite the open-endedness. I also thought the graphics were horribly cartoonish. Crysis seems to have a nice balance between environment and combat.

If you're expecting "open-ended environments" you probably will be disappointed, at least on that score.

Crysis is linear, there's no two ways about it.

OK, there was this one map where you could take a car along the road or the boat down the river which followed the road, but that's it.

So with the demo, there was the linear progression of "meet up with team-mate" and then "get to base" or whatever, but you could do that a whole bunch of ways. You could stick to the foliage and stealth your way there, you could get in a truck, run a couple of soldiers over on your way to the beach, you could take a boat and approach the base from sea and attack with the mounted gun, or you could run and gun it along the coastline. That's a lot of choice versus most on-the-rails shooters. Is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Dark Messiah
    If you haven't bought Dark Messiah already I wouldn't hold high expectations; I've played through it on single and multiplayer and the experience I got from it was very "meh." It's a good concept and a fun game but through the entire thing it feels like it was released while still in beta testing. Everything screamed unpolished and clunky. I have a full-blown review in one of the threads at the DM board if you really wanna read it (spoilers, duh). Now STALKER I haven't played but I hear it's fun and A++ material when modded.

Taking the Death Toll
    It totally is, though I prefer to play it somewhat "raw". I add very few mods to it. One is a fix that tells me what I get out of side quests. Another one adds subtitles to the cutscenes. Another one does lots of editing of the text, and I think it also fixes the weapon names to their real names that would normally cost too much in royalties to use. (condition zero and CS source have this problem as well, and I've yet to figure out how to fix it. It's a bit aggravating 'cuz I'm used to the original weapon names.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    If you haven't bought Dark Messiah already I wouldn't hold high expectations
    KICKING ORCS OFF CLIFFS

Kicking goblins off cliffs you mean!

Or kicking them into a pyre and setting them on fire!

Dark Messiah was ace! I look forward to playing it again after I finish BioShock, Stalker, Crysis, Oblivion, etc.

Never got on the Crysis bandwagon, nothing jumped out at me. 1UP has a review matching your own but they also gave Bioshock a perfect 10. Game Critics are the most consistent I've found. Anyways Far Cry 2 looks a lot more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7ly...eature=related
    Last edited by Gaph; 19th Nov 2007 at 03:09.

Taking the Death Toll
    Definitely more interested in FC2, if only because it seems they're trying to be the next Stalker.

I've only played the demo (mainly to find out how it runs on my new 8800GT), and it's fun and very impressive from a technical point of view. I imagine though that I'd get tired of it fairly quickly; chances are I'll only pick it up once the price's come down a bit. In any case, it strikes me as less annoying than Farcry - I hated the B-movie aesthetics and Z-movie writing of that game.

is Best Pony
    And how does it run on your 8800GT, by the way? I was toying with the idea of getting one to replace my 7900GT.

The demo runs a lot better. Before I played at 1024x768, Medium to High details; now I'm running it at 1280x1024, High details (plus the DX10 effects tweaks), and it's smoother. I suspect that in the full game I might have to go down to a lower resolution once or twice to keep things smooth enough for my liking.

Other games have also profited a lot from the 8800GT: Neverwinter Nights 2 has turned from a slideshow to a very smooth game, Oblivion is gorgeously smooth now, and Stalker is much, much better. Definitely worth the money. I got a BFG OC version of the card, and I'm very happy with it.

Though I only played the demo, I think Crysis is (or could be) a fun game, and it's indeed very impressive technically - but definitely not 10/10 or GOTY or anything. I find it very funny when they write things like "Crysis basically rewrites the rules for the genre" (Gamespot) and such BS. It brings nothing new to the genre, the gameplay is just a good mix of well known elements. Technologically it's really impressive, but at the moment I can't really enjoy that part because of my weak system.

Judging by the demo, and things I know about it, I'd give it something like 8.5/10.

Quick hijack: Many of the 10/10 type of games aren't necessarily the most interesting games, anyway. They're the games that anyone can get into (and I'm not putting this down - doing something that pleases 95% of gamers is quite a feat), but the sort of games that have something special, the System Shocks and Stalkers and Witchers, will not be as 'mass-market compatible'. With those games, the ones who like them will tend to like them a hell of a lot more than your Michael Bay, mainstream, highly competent piece of craftsmanship.

Apart from the technical requirements, Crysis strikes me as this sort of game: the equivalent of fantastic popcorn cinema, but not necessarily the sort of gem that some people will get into completely and love while others won't enjoy them very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I think the word you're looking for is BIO$$$$HOCK
    2Gay games and Game$ 4 Winblows mi rite

I'm assuming you're not being serious, only because I can't recall you posting anything so stupid that I would have expected "LOL I PUT $$$$ IN PLACE OF ESSES CUZ I CLEVAR" posts.

For some reason that I don't understand I keep getting the Windows logon screen every time I restart after installing Crysis.

very fun and addictive sandbox gameplay. the visuals really contribute to the atmosphere and feeling. cutting down trees and houses never gets old.
    story: omg, far cry was at least funny in a campy way
    cutscenes: nice try, boring
    aliens: definitely better than the trigens but still no match for mercenaries/koreans in the funfactor

i will play it much more than bioshock and far cry is now old hat.
    I love all the nice little touches, grabbing animations, seeing your feet, top notch.

mods gonna make it even better.
    and do yourself a favor and edit the difficulty files before playing.
    english speaking koreans is totally lame.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    very fun and addictive sandbox gameplay.
    IMHO, the best sandbox games mix it up a little, so that sometimes one approach is more effective than another. Encouraging players to look for alternative strategies helps prevent the boredom resulting from taking the same approach to every situation (which you can here).

In Crysis, I got the impression that avoiding enemies was the best tactical approach. I'm sure - 90% sure - that enemies respawn to some extent. Now, as much as I'm game to shoot things, if I think that it's getting me nowhere, or is the least effective path, I'm going to do something else. And in the end, I felt that shooting the Koreans was just becoming a waste of time, with little to distinguish one kill from the next.

There are only a few guns, after all, which all basically function the same. There are also a handful of melee moves. That in itselft is not the issue. The issue is that the numerous situations you find yourself in are practically identical: fighting in the jungle, fighting in encampments. The tactics don't change from hour 1 to hour 10. And surpisingly the difficulty doesn't change much either.

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm playing a game which does not really ramp up, or change style in some significant way, I get bored of the repetition.

I guess I should mention the vehicles. Unfortunately, they were neutered because of the number of obstacles (naturally, being that this is jungle terrain). So you could only drive on roads, and only as far as the nearest Korean roadblock/ minefield. It's not like you could do a GTA and go for a cross-country ride.

Now that I've mentioned GTA, I'm reminded of Crysis level design. I always felt like I was being funnelled into the next area. It's not free roam, go-where-you-like, since there are unclimable walls everywhere. Early on in the game I wanted to cut a corner and avoid a large concentration of Koreans. Why? It would have been the smart tactical option. But hello unclimable mountain! Guess I've got choice but to go through the heart of the enemy compound. Is that truly "open-ended" gameplay?

the visuals really contribute to the atmosphere and feeling. cutting down trees and houses never gets old.
    story: omg, far cry was at least funny in a campy way
    cutscenes: nice try, boring
    aliens: definitely better than the trigens but still no match for mercenaries/koreans in the funfactor
    There I have to disagree with you. After killing the first 100 Koreans (before I started outright avoiding them), I was already getting bored. Bored of being overpowered in close-range fighting, and getting headshot killed from 100m away in rifle fights. Bored of climbing the same ladder up the same lookout tower to take out the same sniper in every camp. Which looked the same.

When anything different came along, including the aliens (but not forgotting the tank battle either), I was genuinely relieved.

i will play it much more than bioshock and far cry is now old hat.
    I love all the nice little touches, grabbing animations, seeing your feet, top notch.
    I'd trade seeing your feet for more gameplay variety, I think

mods gonna make it even better.
    and do yourself a favor and edit the difficulty files before playing.
    english speaking koreans is totally lame.
    The english Koreans were funny to listen to. In reality, it doesn't affect the difficulty one bit. After killing half a Korean unit, you expect the other half to come looking for you. Hearing them say "let's find him!" is not giving anything away.

And besides, your all-seeing radar (bottom left) shows the exact position of all enemy troops (on Hard setting, the same on Detla?).

Overall great game 80% to 90%
    I have to disagree quite a lot with HybridVision, fighting the Koreans (on delta at least) was great fun. The use of cloak-armour-shoot-cloak was too powerful but I did find that with the addition of air support and the AI’s ability to fan out and charge down my little jungle hideout I did start to use other tactics. Like using speed to relocate or shoot out fuel tanks on vehicles to take down 2-3 Koreans before giving away my position. The suit powers and weapon load-out gives you enough interesting ways to fight that the gameplay is great.

The first two thirds of the game were great. Yes the level design wasn’t that of a game that was completely open ended (would that be a game?), it funnelled you to the next fight and then gave you 3-4 choices on how to attack. Very similar to far cry but executed with better level design and with the suit powers to help the combat reach a brilliant high, imho.

The story is as to be expected, good enough to show of the different gameplay ideas without the annoying z-movie dialog of far cry. Criminally short for such a great shooter and with a weak end game. Once you stop fighting the Korean’s it becomes more intense but less interesting, not a bad idea to mix it up but I wasn’t done being a bad ass jungle warrior yet.
    The tank missions and
    spoiler:
    alien
    combat isn’t bad but juxtapose the guerrilla combat it’s just filling time. I’ve only played it on delta (the hardest) difficulty and found this to be about right, but now I want to replay the great maps with a bit more of a challenge and I can’t, leaves me wondering what happened to the huge size and insane difficulty settings of far cry
    The multiplayer looks to be a but naf (won’t get me off counter strike) so there just isn’t enough game here to be an instant classic…

Quote Originally Posted by HybridVision View Post
    And besides, your all-seeing radar (bottom left) shows the exact position of all enemy troops (on Hard setting, the same on Detla?).
    only if you tag the first using binocs...

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Far Cry... I also thought the graphics were horribly cartoonish.
    Hah! You didn't play it with AMD64 big exclusive patch (for x64 only!).

Also, are you sure you didn't have cartoon rendering option turned on?

So can somebody tell me if Crysis is worth even being considered, I don't want to upgrade AGAIN just for one game and then be disappointed.

BANNED
    This sounds too much like FarCry 1.5 w/SO much of FC being lazily recycled for Crysis(hell, they still have the tagging feature?, lol). They even recycled the trigens, just renamed them ALIIIEEENNNZZ Every single one of your posts describes the EXACT same praises/complaints as FarCry. It's eerie. Crytek didn't expand on it in ANY way but the crysuit, and it's generic as hell. Honestly FC was every bit as gorgeous and hardware intensive as Crysis when it was new. Especially w/the 64-bit add-on.
    /rant

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast