TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Box by ghost_in_the_shell Nov 25 2007

Aspirin :
    spoiler:
    Sanchez's office

Really good mission (except...) Got me really intrigued about pt 2.

Clearinghouse
    Finished on expert. Beautiful mission
    Only I can't find a key of the guards for door near the fountain.
    Thanks ghost_in_the_shell for nice mission!

Thank you, ghost_in_the_shell! This mission was quite a bit of fun! The atmosphere was great- visuals and sounds and all. I guess I was lucky with the ledge walk, I got it easy on my 2nd attempt. (I did the 'run out onto it while looking up at a slight left angle' thing, which is how I usually handle skinny ledges- though this ledge was just about the skinniest ever, I think.) I also found Hank's key on Expert, but I'm still missing 60g off max and wondering if I should go scour the place for it or just consider it a job well done!

I'm really looking forward to the next in this series. May DromEd be kind to you in its construction!

~Shaz

clearing, if you want a spoiler for the location of the key:
    spoiler:
    Exit Sanchez's office and turn left (north). Up to your right will be a metal beam, somewhat below the wooden ceiling. The key is tucked up in that gap.
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Shaz; 26th Nov 2007 at 09:05. Reason: Clues for secret

Clearinghouse
    Thanks, Shaz!

Happily finished but will have to try that darn ledge again on expert - I haven't all the loot yet either.

Thank you again ghost_in_the_shell! I really enjoyed myself.

Just for experiment I went back to the 'normal' savegame where I'm
    spoiler:
    just under the doors and I can run back and forward along the ledge just using the run key quite easily without falling off. Yet once I jump off the ledge I'm completely unable to get back on.
    Wish I could work out what I did the first time.
    Last edited by nickie; 26th Nov 2007 at 13:25.

Very nice mission

I had a good time with this one.........I love beating up thieves. I had no trouble with the little ledge after i read the post on how to do it. Good times Thanks for all your hard work

a Mirror

0815x.org mirror:

The Box v1.0

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_in_the_shell View Post
    There is no alternative. There was an alternative designed, but It was cut off while missions building progressed due to some other neccessities. Sorry for that, but the ledge is the only way. Try to pass this part using nicked's tip posted here. I hope it helps.

It's definitelly doable, but difficult, I am aware of that As I wrote earlier there was an alternative way planned, but it was lost in the mission building process.
    It was sufficient to make the blasted ledge 1 unit large....
    Sorry but I tried everything. Jumping, crawling, face up, down....
    It seems that something is blocking me at the beginning of the ledge.
    I tried not 20, but 50 times.
    It's a pity, because it was really a very nice mission.

about the ledge:

spoiler:
    try to run while at the same time holding your "go right "key
    once ghost explained that to me, it was no problem to do it over and over again...

Am I not supposed to be able to pick up most of the woden crates ? I replaced (after backing up ) the file the readme tells me to. I just don't want to get to deep into the mission and find out it's broken.

Yup most of the woden crates are unfrobbabable.

Nice little mission for a first time out.

spoiler:
    That tiny ledge prety much ruined what could have been a good mission. Some of us don't like trying the same thing over and over and over and over and over. Couldn't there have been a wood lift over the door insted of a metal one ? And a ever so well hidden rope arrow in the midst.
    I'll keep trying a bit more Thanks for making it though. Don't get me wrong. I do apreiciate that.
    Last edited by Lightningline; 26th Nov 2007 at 17:49.

If you face forward (facing the wall), looking just ever so slightly to the left and then press forward, you can move along the edge easily.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    If you face forward (facing the wall), looking just ever so slightly to the left and then press forward, you can move along the edge easily.

Your plan worked. Thanks. I had to jump to the ledge to make it work though.

Hey, flying_hope - thank you for mirroring

Lady Rowena: sorry about the ledge. I think I will name it the Stupid Ledge officially, definitelly it's bad news that it spoils fun of playing The Box to so many players. I hope all players will find some method sufficient for their movement controls to pass this obstacle. If I ever use this kind of design again, I really must give some other paths for the player to walk around it.

Lightningline: Crates can't be moved around in The Box. It's not a bug. Sorry for everyone who like to use them.

I'm really happy of the comments i'm finding in this thread, thanks that you bother to write few words of your opinions about the mission. It's very encouraging. It's the authors main reward for his work on FM's - players satisfaction and when they like things in your mission, which you like too - isn't it?

About the second part - continuation of the story:

I started building second mission - post office area. But it's in very early stage, in fact I think I will redesign it completelly. I think I started too ambitious in matter of space - if I start very huge mission then probably I won't finish it at all. I have less time then ever now for doing anything for fun (and besides Dromed's devilish nature it's still fun creating something with it)... So probably I will start with some smaller plan of this second mission and hope that I will finish it. Anyway I don't think it will be finished in less than a year
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    Oooops, I must be blind. I didn't see the window sill key.

Edit: I just went a little further......

Sorry to be so silly........the only way in seems to be the double wooden doors above, but how is one supposed to go up there? Even that beam above the doors is iron....
    I tried crawling along the molding, but I keep falling down.....
    I had trouble with this only after the first time I tried it. I had to jump to the ledge and immediately hold down the C key (or whatever your right straffe key is) to keep from falling off.

No way, sorry. Maybe it's because I don't have the habit to use the strafe key. I use the mouse to walk forward and shoot.
    Whatever direction I jumped, I kept falling down.

But since I wanted to finish the mission at all costs, I had to use Dromed....to enlarge the ledge. I swear that I never used Dromed to modify a mission I was playing before.

Anyway, I was finally able to finish it. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed to know that all I had to to was to exit. (I played on Normal) So I returned back and I managed to BJ all the bad guys.
    I have to say that it was a veeery nice mission. (if not for the ledge ) Also very challenging in the end. I have appreciated the care you put into it. Expecially the changing of the music when the AI's got alerted; the nice arches, and the fact that the lantern guards are not attached to the lanterns anymore when you kill or blackjack them. (which thing I'm too lazy to even look at how you did it. )
    Well done! I will sure play the sequel.

Indeed: The ledge was tricky, but the best advice I got here was to rope up to the top of the wooden stairs and then climb onto the ledge. Just point forward and you'll crawl to the left.

Didn't the betatesters mentioned this difficulty???

This really is a great mission! THANKS!!!

I just don't find the key to the door near the fountain. Any clues??? I'm playing on expert.

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Has anyone done a bit of rooftop mountaineering and
    spoiler:
    found the healing potion?

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    Indeed: The ledge was tricky, but the best advice I got here was to rope up to the top of the wooden stairs and then climb onto the ledge. Just point forward and you'll crawl to the left.

Didn't the betatesters mentioned this difficulty???

This really is a great mission! THANKS!!!

I just don't find the key to the door near the fountain. Any clues??? I'm playing on expert.

Gloria Creep
    I just wanted to try your method Gloria, and I did it!
    I'm tempted to replay the mission on expert.....
    Unfortunately I didn't find that key, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaz View Post

clearing, if you want a spoiler for the location of the key:
    spoiler:
    Exit Sanchez's office and turn left (north). Up to your right will be a metal beam, somewhat below the wooden ceiling. The key is tucked up in that gap.
    Hope that helps!
    Got any hints for the key location for those of us playing Normal or Hard? Thanks!

- prjames

I just wanted to try your method Gloria, and I did it!
    I'm tempted to replay the mission on expert....
    I'm glad that you succeed in passing the ledge without modifying it's size after all
    There is additional objective on hard and expert which isn't active on normal!

I have to say that it was a veeery nice mission. (if not for the ledge ) Also very challenging in the end. I have appreciated the care you put into it. Expecially the changing of the music when the AI's got alerted; the nice arches, and the fact that the lantern guards are not attached to the lanterns anymore when you kill or blackjack them. (which thing I'm too lazy to even look at how you did it.)
    Well done! I will sure play the sequel.
    This setup changing music when Garrett fights with oponents is my favourite thing in the mission. I'm proud of it because I got the idea to try this thinking I won't find the way to get the effect, but finally I developed my own method of performing the trick. It's not perfect, but it works. I'm very happy that you mentioned about it
    IIRC disattaching lanterns are based on some tutorials about lantern guards found at TEG. I can try to find the source threads of this method, or describe it myself if you want.

the fact that the lantern guards are not attached to the lanterns anymore when you kill or blackjack them
    Agreed (should've said this before) - really good feature as it can be so inconvenient having lit-up bodies lying around.
    Got any hints for the key location for those of us playing Normal or Hard? Thanks!
    Second that - really couldn't find it! (even went 'the way of the sword' & smashed crates & barrels (not surprisingly, no luck)
    Last edited by Sticky Fingers; 26th Nov 2007 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Second that - really couldn't find it! (even went 'the way of the sword' & smashed crates & barrels (not surprisingly, no luck)
    O.K. here is a spoiler for the guards hidden key. This key counts as a secret in the stats:
    spoiler:
    The key is hidden in the small hole in the wall in the corner of the street where the guard like to stop in his patrol returning from Lower Gate area. Investigate this area to find it.
    The key is hidden on the top of a doorframe opposite to the Lower Gate.

I don't remember which location apply to normal and which is for hard

Smashing crates and barrels looking for objects - why didn't I get the idea to hide something in this crates. Idea definitelly worth remembering

Good night. It's 4.30 am in my time zone now. I will be back

Very enjoyable mission!!!! Not easy, especially at Hard, but worth it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast