TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: T2 mission by SlyFoxx: Unnecessary Risk (Nov. 29/2007)

Ethne, I missed this also the first time. Do you remember the place where all the hunted specimen are hanging on the wall and when you frob the left one Garrett says: I've got to get me some pointing sticks .... or something like that ...??
    spoiler:
    Look down and frob the not-highlighted chest.
    That did the trick for me.

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Actually it's triggered by frobbing the plaque under the crayman head. There is a six second delay between the frob and the sounding of the .wav file to give the player time to read the plaque.

That mission was great and a lot of fun. You are sly, sly foxx.
    I got dew drop with help.

Found the Secrete places. Loved the messages after getting the bonus's

The conversations
    The servant rambling.I know that song well.
    Smoking!!.

I kod him and he said "I hope it is pretty in heaven"
    That was classic.

I am just 5 short can anybody tell me where it is?? Please.
    Wonderful fun.

Gillie you probably missed a coin that's lying on the grass outside the front door. (If you walk out the front door, it's in the grassy area to your right.) It's really hard to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Gillie you probably missed a coin that's lying on the grass outside the front door. (If you walk out the front door, it's in the grassy area to your right.) It's really hard to spot.
    Thanks I found it. Thought I had searched there as well.
    I shall now go home and count my spoils.

I played this one tonight, it turned out to be just what I was looking for. I didn't even touch the blackjack for once and got to feel all unstoppably sneaky. Thanks Sly, I had a fun time!

Your welcome my dear.

Found this super enjoyable. Finished on expert, all bonus missions including the little scroll saying, "Taffer, what the hell are you doing back here!" Though it would have been nice to go back instead of reload.

Phil

Actually you can get out of there with a few well placed rope arrows, circus leaps and Jedi-like keyboard antics.

Master Builder 2018
    AHRGGG...had a perfect ghost going and one of the servants got stuck on the stairs to the lower level. Can't get past her without an alert. That just chaps my a**!

Great mission SlyFoxx! You've done it again!

Aww just wack her for being stupid and keep going.

Master Builder 2018
    LOL - yeah I guess I should have but I just used an invis potion instead. Really great mission, which I'm beginning to suspect is pretty normal for you. Thank you for the effort of finishing it.

Finshed with 2686 loot and DEWDROP!!! I hope the way I got her was the hard way cause if it was the easy way I sure don't want to see the hard way!!!

Dewdrop Inn

Actually, it was delightfully easy to get Dewdrop! 'Course, I had to try several times since it was easy to overshoot the landing strip, so to speak... :-) Wonnerful, wonnerful mission, Sly - I do recall its basic setup from that earlier mission, where one had to frob the unlit torch in the main entrance area to reveal the secret hatch in the ceiling (at least that's my memory of it). Much of the time in my Dewdrop attempts I was landing in the area beyond, but off to the right, where the "out of bounds" scroll isn't, and you can't squeeze past a certain point to get to that other larger section where the scroll is... Also got the Easter Egg in the chimney from the roof. Bravo, great stuff, mon!

hee hee -

is this Jorge?:

Cuz if it is - then i guess all your towers have Jorge backsides!

YAY! got Dewdrop offa that cold lonely rock!

What was the point of the fake gold bones?
    Last edited by Garrett's Shadow; 18th Nov 2009 at 15:57.

It's not jorge. It's what thief does when it can't find a specific texture. I probably had a different texture on the towers at some point, changed it dumped the old texture from the mission zip and missed painting a few brush faces.

The gold bones are just a throw back from Bafford's Bone Collection. They would be worthless because Garrett had already stolen the real ones.

hee hee,

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    The gold bones are just a throw back from Bafford's Bone Collection. They would be worthless because Garrett had already stolen the real ones.
    Then what Garrett should do with them is:

Drag a table over to the display case with the fakes (his BJ and the hammers), arrange the bones in as complete a skeleton as they will make, place a placard on the table saying:

"Here lies the skeleton of the golden man, an escapee from an old Buck Rodgers episode whom Lord Bafford single handedly slew with just a shoelace and a bent pudding spoon."
    (please excuse the missing leg bone, seems the tinsmith is a bit late in forging and painting that piece,lazy taffer, should have gone with the guy who made the other 4 items! )

Loot

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I think I missed this coin too...............but by rhe way which of the two doors is the front door .......... I looked near both in the grass but I have not even found it yet.

Or is there a lootlist for this FM ???

At last I have to say It is a qiut amazing FM and it is good to ghost :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gitb View Post
    I think I missed this coin too...............but by rhe way which of the two doors is the front door ..........
    The doors that are at the bottom of the main stairs.

Thanks
    I have found the coin but I am still 40p out of Loot ....................
    Has anybody a hint if I missed another coin, ring or something very small and hard to spot ????????

Just had to take a closer look ........................

Unnecessary Risk is, as the previous comments in this thread indicate, very well designed and a lot of fun. I last played Bafford's Bone Collection and immediately recognized the architecture of the main building. This remake showcases how much you can improve a locale with textures and lighting. Another improvement were two additional conversations between guards and some quips by Garrett. The voice acting was very good for a fan effort. The outburst by the guard at the entrance doors had me laughing out loud.

I finished the mission twice, once on "Too Easy", which turned out to be really that, and once on "Garrett" difficulty, which provided a challenging ghosting run of the entire mission. I completed the second playthrough in 44 minutes, during which I collected 1939 in loot. Loot hunts aren't my favorite thing in Thief so I am content with the amount I was able to gather.

Here are a couple of minor aspects that could be improved upon in my opinion:
    • The intro is quite nice. Cropping the health bar and the light gem from the images, as well as adding dissolves and zooms could make it even more appealing.
    • The roof of the main building is not properly room brushed. Sound is not audible on the highest spots.
    • A wooden lockbox in the southwest corner of the second floor bedroom is malfunctioning. Upon picking it, the lid caves in.
    • The message "SlyFoxx say well done taffer! BONUS" is a bit of an immersion breaker.
    • There are four statues near the hammer collection in the basement and spotlights above them. The statues are illuminated, yet the bulbs of the spotlights remain dark.
    • Another things that puzzles me: Why is there a box below the wall-mounted head of the Great Mosquito Beast that cannot be frobbed? What purpose does it serve?
    • Garrett calling the opera piece "Absolute crap" is a bit out of character if you ask me. In the OMs, he never voiced profanities and he never got emotional about trivial things. It's more in character for him to calmly mention he does not care about silly opera pieces at all.

All in all, I enjoyed Unnecessary Risk a lot. The architecture, the textures, the loot placement, the patrol routes, the lighting, the sound and the voice acting are excellent. Very well done, SlyFoxx!

Dml to fix Newmantle issues

Code:
    DML1

//Unnecessary Risk V1: Fixes. File: URV3.gam.dml

+ObjProp -2397 "PhysCanMant"
    {
     "" false
    }
    +ObjProp -1481 "PhysCanMant"
    {
     "" false
    }

This must be a classic. The wacky atmosphere makes up for the raw (by today's standards) level design. The voice acting is very good. I liked the Deus Ex-eous guard towers in corners. This mission has lots of good things going for it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345