TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM "Unknown Treasure" RELEASED 12-05-2007

Slyfoxx,

Did you go to the left side of the lava caves.
    spoiler:
    After I clicked on all 4 posts in there, I was able to pick up the fire plaque in the first cave.
    . Then I went back and got the other plaques.

Hope Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Hope Vincent View Post
    Slyfoxx,

Did you go to the left side of the lava caves.
    spoiler:
    After I clicked on all 4 posts in there, I was able to pick up the fire plaque in the first cave.
    . Then I went back and got the other plaques.

Hope Vincent

You're kidding me. No, you're not kidding me.

As a matter of interest maybe, I've just installed ATI Tools Tray which has given me fog for the first time but in the thread where I found this, it also mentioned an fm going really speedy after installation. So I tried Unknown Treasure again and, maybe only in this case, its true. The choppiness has gone and I'm happily carrying on from where I left off.

This is in many ways a great FM, I love how the city connects. I've found myself back at the same spot a few times, but each time I find a new road to follow.
    Also, the half-sunken house was very trippy. Good fun walking up the walls. Awesome and headache-inducing at the same time. I almost wish something more had been done with it, but perhaps it's better that it remains just a tease.

I absolutely hated the RPG-elements (I'm more inclined to call them RPG-shortcomings) though.
    Guards who appear out of nowhere just because you did something completely unrelated. People who try to convince burglars who have just broken into their house in the middle of the night to do quests for them. Not being able to pick up or use objects before knowing what to do with them, as well as the main "quest" being put on hold until some arbitrary "time progress" trigger (IE get so much loot) occurs.
    These things have nothing to do in Thief, because they undermine what makes Thief the icon it is within gaming.

It's also quite easy to get into places you're not supposed to be in the city. And my ability to find backstage areas only seems inversely proportional to being able to figure out what I'm supposed to do.
    It's good fun for a bit, but for me, suspension of disbelief is important in order to enjoy the FM, and there's nothing that breaks it quite like being stuck on the wrong side of an invisible barrier because I got there too early.

Usually, being stuck and then disillusioned is enough for me to call it quits, but I enjoyed the rest of the FM so much, I'm willing to hang in there a little longer.
    Last edited by Mortal Monkey; 10th Dec 2007 at 18:08. Reason: s/SPOILER\]/SPOIL\]/

I think that is a pretty fair summary of this FM's plus points and its shortcomings. The only thing I would add is that giving guards superhuman powers when they are alerted, for me anyway, reduces immersion.

Near the end I gave myself some firearrows to liven things up a bit. It wasn't that I needed them (after all I had an endless supply of equipment) it was just to make things more fun!

While playing GORT fms, many times I feel that they are too difficult, and the atmosphere absolutely lacks thief atmosphere I think. All the same bathrooms for every room, many similar places makes it look like Jedi knight, and that's what I hate. Also, guards coming out of nowhere is quite embarrassing.

There are too many things in this fm that you supposed to know, but HOW??
    Just imagine playing a GORT fm without forum help...

Radical changing of Thief gameplay reminds me of Midday Escape, but there you could easily learn the tactics to survive. Mission 3 in Rebellion of the builder, when a superfast, maybe 30 hit pointed ninja shoots you, is really hateful.

I know his talent though.

Hmmm... I guess I better try a different approach on my FMs from now on. Not traditional enough.

Don't be put off by the criticism. It is meant to be constructive not depressing.

I think it is extremely difficult to come up with an original premise for a fan mission these days with so many FMs having been released. Your missions always contain original thoughts and features which is clearly a positive element. Maybe you need to pay more attention to making it enjoyable experience for the player.

I am well aware how hard it is to get the balance between difficulty and fun in a mission and you will never please everyone but I think that if you get an experienced beta team and listen to their comments and act on them you will produce better FMs.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks, The_Dude.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to start on another FM. This one has nothing to do with UT or TROTB. Since I can't get TROTB2 going right now, maybe just start creating an FM might do the trick. But I'm starting to think that I may need a team to make TROTB2, instead of just myself.

The problem I usually get is that, when I make the FMs and playing them, I forget that other players have a different gameplay style and might not know some things that I do about the game. Well, I'll do my best to make a better FM next time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    Don't be put off by the criticism. It is meant to be constructive not depressing.
    Indeed.

And thanks for a great mission, GORT I can hardly wait for the next one.

Sorry GORT, we, and I, didn't meant to hurt you, and you are a true talent. But your really different and special style contains MANY good, and MANY bad things. Keep it on, this is your style, don't give up!

Many hard work behind those kind of missions! There were frustrating things but I also really loved much things.

Cemetary Location . . .

From the start, head due east - continue along the canal - continue east PAST the marketplace - keep going east till you come to where you go past the metal head to Basso's on the right and the Williams' on the left. Prior to this area was a turn off to the north. As you go north here, you pass a building with a blacksmith sign (you can't go in). As you come out from these buildings, there is another metal head with a gate to the east behind him. This gate leads to the cemetary. I don't know if you can open it before the Pagan mission or not, but I ran past it a million times before I realized it was frobbable (probably the only frobbable gate in the whole level).

Thanks for this FM Gort - it was very frustrating, but rewarding!

I would also recommend against the angled cliffs in the lava cave, just fyi.
    Last edited by taffedinthehead; 13th Dec 2007 at 13:34.

High speed guards

Is it intended that the guards that spawn after you go into the tower move at high speed? They charge around so fast I lose them and if they find me they can hit 4 or 5 times a second, so I've got no chance.
    Or is there another reason for this?

Lava cave question

Ive gotten past the first lava cave and have found the plaque, but what now, i still can't frob them and im not sure what to do next. Hints please.

Aw not fair! , in an empty, closed, small, well lit room with one entrance, I read a book and an AI gets spawned right behind me and starts laying about me with a sword before I even know he's there! where the taff is he supposed to come from ? I was enjoying this insanely difficult mission until that point, but that well and truly broke the immersion for me as there was just no sense to it

was there some warning or a clue I missed somewhere ?

and more to the point is this sort of trick going to happen again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    was there some warning or a clue I missed somewhere ?

and more to the point is this sort of trick going to happen again ?
    spoiler:
    Sneak into this room, just between the door frame and the desk. At a certain point, the lightgem will become dark enough to hide you and close enough to blackjack the guard.

Ghost

Attic ladder problems

I'm having the same problem Stingm had. I'm on my way through the tilted house for the second time, having gotten the gem plaques, and after I finally get on the ladder -- which is hard enough -- I can climb part way up... and then it's like I'm bumping against an invisible wall: I can't get all the way up and into the attic.

I didn't have this problem the first time through... what's going on now?

I was finally able to get into the attic by retracting the ladder and using a rope arrow instead; but this seems odd.

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 16th Dec 2007 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    spoiler:
    Sneak into this room, just between the door frame and the desk. At a certain point, the lightgem will become dark enough to hide you and close enough to blackjack the guard.
    if I'd had any suspicion that a guard might appear from thin air when I read a book, like if it was the necromancers tower I would have done but empty rooms should stay empty unless there's some hint that they won't

I wouldn't mind if he'd appeared in the adjoining room and he found me as I exited that would have been believable, I could argue that he entered the house while I was reading and immersion would be maintained

as it was it just spoiled it for me, there was no reason to it, it seemed designed to force a confrontation with no chance of avoiding it without some prior knowledge and there seems to be no way to acquire this knowledge without finding out the hard way, taking the damage and escaping or more likely restore a save and go back to do it without damage which is cheating in my book

if I miss something and garrett get's creamed because of my mistake then thats fair enough, the thief universe follows a certain style, part of that style says that deadly traps can be set, but Garrett has a chance of detecting them if he looks hard enough, after all he is a master thief with some experience at this, but if I playing as Garrett get overconfident or careless and don't do this then I'm fair game.

simply springing an undetectable trap with no warning breaks this style completely and for me it ceases to be thief at that point

I'm sorry Gort this isn't intended to be a rant at you and I really don't want to upset you, you've created an incredible game here and you should be justly proud of it, it's just that for me the style seems to be wrong

Great mission. Being the roof-top thief that I am, I found the
    spoiler:
    button suspended in midair
    on a tall, flat roof. Does it serve any purpose?

Confused

Hi, I'm getting a lot confused and I'm feeling .......lost!
    I am in Yangus estate
    spoiler:
    got his office key, went back to the office bu cannot frob the purple trasure and yangus is not there. where is he supposed to be? And why the trasure is not frobbable?

maga :
    spoiler:
    when you get Yangus' key a conversation is triggered after which you should get an objective about following him - maybe he left & you didn't see him. The treasures aren't frobbable until you go to the sloping house (need loot objective & the attic key).

Sticky, thank you so much for your reply. I just got the objective to kill him (honestly I did not understand what they said in the conversation...dah, language probs... )Is there a way to fetch him somewhere?
    spoiler:
    I had already been to the sunken house before accomplishing the pagan objective shall I go back there? Have I to pick up the red treasure first? OMG I'm totally confused abt this fm..........

maga: he's gone to the warehouse (sorry, I'm on my 4th FM since then & can't remember where that is - maybe you could re-load from just before grabbing that key?) And
    spoiler:
    you'll need to get the pagan objective before you can get one of the treasures - but before you can frob any of the treasures, you need to explore the sloping house & the hot place beyond it, all the way to the end.

Then you get to come back, grab the treasures (in any order) & do the sloping house & beyond all over again!

Confused? you've joined a long cue...

Not to far from the start there is a woman hanging out in her garden with some moss and water crystals in it.
    spoiler:
    On the first floor there is a secret door under the stairs, how do I open it

Thankyou in advance for any help

Also is this mission that difficult, I mean in the sense of lacking clues as to what to do ? Or are people just missing them ? Also I clubed some wolf looking thing to death. Is that a problem ? Or was it actually a rat man like in T3 ?
    Last edited by Lightningline; 18th Dec 2007 at 17:15.

Lightingline :
    spoiler:
    I think you use your BJ on that secret door. I also took out the wolf's head creature (top floor, warehouse?) - didn't seem to make any difference...

And, yes, I thought it needed a few more useful clues.
    Last edited by Sticky Fingers; 19th Dec 2007 at 01:10.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast